Review: Xin Reference & SuperMicro IV
Feb 17, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #31 of 49
Instead of quoting multiple posts, I'll just clarify my position on the Reference: first know that I don't rank amps for the simple reason that audio is subjective, and I deliberately stayed away from stating that the AE-2 is "better" than the Reference. I simply tried to note differences, leaving the interpretation of which is "better" up to the reader.

Second, if the review looks overcritical on the Reference, well that was on purpose. I had high standards for this amp going in, having read much about it and the claims of high-performing sound quality on it, and Xin himself even stating it was his best amp yet. And with a name like "Reference," that's exactly what I was expecting. However, the amp definitely did not meet what I feel is "reference" quality sound, and the only portable amp I've heard that does have that is the AE-2 IMO. I should add though that despite my opinion that the AE-2 has reference-quality sound, it could still be even better.

Third, I went back and listened to the Reference again, with some new CD tracks, and still feel the same way on the points I mentioned in the review. However, I did not intend to make the Reference come across as "bad-sounding" in this review. It's completely fine for an amp at this price - like I said, there's nothing really wrong with it. It just didn't stand out to me in any one way.

I still hold to the focus/clarity criticism. I don't know why there are differences of opinion in this of course, but I just can't say that the Reference has as much of it as the AE-2. The AE-2 has a noticeable degree of extra focus & clarity over the Reference to me, and it captures more textural detail as well, as a result of the increased focus. There were areas in which I found the Reference to sound sloppy, particularly in the mid-bass.

I've merely tried to share my perception of the Reference in this review. I can't speak for differences of opinion, this is just how I heard it.

I've also added new parts 4 and 5 to help add some clarification.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #32 of 49
Asr, I felt much the same way about the Reference as you did. Although your review is much more fleshed out than mine, I too felt that the Reference was a good sounding amp, but I also felt it had some shortcomings, and that there are better amps for less money (as well as for more money of course
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, go figure. I can't stand a fuzzy or lack of definition in what I am hearing. I get a clean solid image with the Reference and I don't doubt what anyone is saying so what gives?

could some of this be unit to unit variability? xin amps seem to be works in progress and change over time, no? also, could the folks posting in this thread talk about their xin refs - were they the prototypes or production units? how many production units are actually out there and when did he start shipping? i ordered mine shortly after he put them up for sale and i've gotten nothing. i also paid by paypal which apparently was a mistake as i paid for it up front as opposed to the folks who give him credit cards and aren't billed until the thing is ready.
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #35 of 49
Hello ASR,

Any possibilities you can post some impressions on the Supermicro IV with the Klipsch Image.

I love my Klipsch Image, and was wondering if adding an amp to these 50ohm IEMs will improve the SQ a lot or just a little bit.

Since I want to be as portable as possible, I am really only considering the Supermicro or Supermini.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #36 of 49
This is very strange. Pretty much everyone who has heard my amps has disliked them (or at least hasn't really liked them all that much). But everyone who has heard other models has loved them. So I figured that mine were not the current versions or had some problems. (although, xin said that they were the current versions) To be sure, I had them sent to a head-fier who had the current reference, and he said they sounded the same. Would anyone who has good ears and a current reference be willing to listen to these and tell me if they are up to par?

or better yet, would anyone be willing to loan me their reference so I could do the comparison? Im scared of letting anyone else hear these before knowing they are as they should be.

send me a pm, as I might not check this thread.

thanks

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello ASR,

Any possibilities you can post some impressions on the Supermicro IV with the Klipsch Image.

I love my Klipsch Image, and was wondering if adding an amp to these 50ohm IEMs will improve the SQ a lot or just a little bit.

Since I want to be as portable as possible, I am really only considering the Supermicro or Supermini.

Thanks in advance.

I just updated part 6 to answer your post. I ended up preferring the AE-2 over both Reference and SuperMicro for the Klipsch. But if you're considering only Xin amps, the SuperMini is clearly the better choice, as there's a choice of op-amps for it, along with two-way gain.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Reference provided a harder hit in the bass area, with a lower sense of boom.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking this...the Reference just seemed like a more articulate...but otherwise, kinda the same thing.

IMO, the SMIV is only worth buying if you have a REALLY portable rig, like a shuffle mated to IEMs...that would be a SERIOUSLY nice and compact portable...but I think I just gave away my secret for my next portable rig, lol.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #39 of 49
Excellent review. Immtbiker and I reached similar conclusions when comparing the Reference and the Xin micro to the AE-2 and other portables at the last large Florida meet. We were using a Lector 0.6T CDP and the K2HD sampler, which demonstrated clear differences between amps. With the Reference, the bass was fuller, but lost clarity and the ability to reveal nuances as compared to the AE-2. When using an ipod as a source (I assume most portable amp buyers would be using a dap or pcdp), the differences weren't as evident. I ended up preferring the AE-2 as well as two LaRocco amps and the SR-71 over the Reference (which was my favorite of three Xin amps present) across the board, but I understand the attraction to the Xin amps. They give a lot of oomph, and do it fairly well, but they didn't offer what I'd hoped for.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very strange. Pretty much everyone who has heard my amps has disliked them (or at least hasn't really liked them all that much). But everyone who has heard other models has loved them. So I figured that mine were not the current versions or had some problems. (although, xin said that they were the current versions) To be sure, I had them sent to a head-fier who had the current reference, and he said they sounded the same.

thanks

I think it was your amps I was listening to, if I'm not mistaken. Voltron brought them to the meet. I didn't dislike them, but found them to be as I said, which is nearly identical to asr's impressions, though he articulated his thoughts much better than I.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

This is very strange. Pretty much everyone who has heard my amps has disliked them (or at least hasn't really liked them all that much). But everyone who has heard other models has loved them...

Not really, everyone has their own preference towards excellent sound reproduction. I wouldn't get hung up over it--no vendor wil ever please all the people all of the time.

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

This is very strange. Pretty much everyone who has heard my amps has disliked them (or at least hasn't really liked them all that much). But everyone who has heard other models has loved them.

Well, there's two things there.

1. Head-Fi hype. It's done a lot, people are expecting miracles from things that more than likely aren't extraordinary, rather, they're just really good.

2. The Xin wait time. What....it shouldn't take so long for something to ship when by the time it's received you have to send it back for an update. People get so anxious or hyped over the "exclusivity wait" that they'll think they're hearing angels when it arrives. When in fact, it's nothing much better than above average. Don't get me wrong, they're great, but for the wait and build quality in some cases...meh, I'll pass.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #44 of 49
As far as I'm aware the SuperMicro is based on DC-DC boost that boosts the 1.5 volt from the battery to about 3.5 volt but I could be wrong or not understand the question.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #45 of 49
Yes the Micro uses a boost that is very fast and quiet or it would work very well for audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back