REVIEW: Xiaomi Piston 2 - Re-defining "Budget-Fi"?
May 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #77 of 156
Use a pin to pry the grills off. If you're careful in doing this, you won't damage them and can reinsert them after gently pulling it the little foam bungs inside the nozzle.

You'll get cleaner, purer treble, enhanced mids and more textured and cleaner bass. Because of the change in the spectral balance (improved midrange response), the sound is much less V shaped and is more balanced across the range.

Treble is a Little hotter without the foam but with a really good burn in (100+ hrs), it settles down just right so detail is there without any harshness.

May 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #78 of 156
Right, Thanks for that, as I think the bass tends to be a tad wooly at this early stage. I read somewhere to also insert RE400 filters....Is that over the mesh grill when reinstalled?

May 20, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #79 of 156
have been using my piston 2 for couple of days, the sound really impressed me by far. they don't sound like $20 headphones like how we used to categorize the headphones, i think this is a very good benchmark for all other brands :)

May 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #80 of 156
  Right, Thanks for that, as I think the bass tends to be a tad wooly at this early stage. I read somewhere to also insert RE400 filters....Is that over the mesh grill when reinstalled?

Heard of that too.
I think those filters are used instead of the Piston grill and I know people have used them if they ended up detroying their factory mesh grills when removing them (Piston grills can be a little tight in the nozzle).

May 21, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #81 of 156
  Heard of that too.
I think those filters are used instead of the Piston grill and I know people have used them if they ended up detroying their factory mesh grills when removing them (Piston grills can be a little tight in the nozzle).

I use Re400 filters on my Piston 2.0. They tame the highs a bit compared to mesh filters.

May 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #82 of 156
I crapped my pants when I saw the review of my beloved earphones was put onto the head-fi front page. I would fly over the rainbow if Joker reviewed these.

May 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #85 of 156
How does the Pistons compare to the Basso/Tenors and SE215?

Pistons are great for the price, but don't compare to the Tenore.  Tenore has much better vocals, balance, and tight punchy bass.

May 28, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #86 of 156
  Pistons are great for the price, but don't compare to the Tenore.  Tenore has much better vocals, balance, and tight punchy bass.

Not only that -- The Pistons are about half the price of the Tenores, and from reading all teh rave reviews, they seem to be better giant-slayers than the Pistons. So if you've got the budget to get the Tenores, just get them; I guarantee you won't miss out on anything.

May 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #87 of 156
  Not only that -- The Pistons are about half the price of the Tenores, and from reading all teh rave reviews, they seem to be better giant-slayers than the Pistons. So if you've got the budget to get the Tenores, just get them; I guarantee you won't miss out on anything.

beerchug.gif

May 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #88 of 156
Another, less sure fire way, of know if you have a legit pair is the chocolate smell...as odd as it sounds, the real pairs have a strong chocolate like smell when opening them, and the fakes do not.

May 31, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #90 of 156
  Great Review :) I just ordered the IF version from xiaomiworld, so... they should be genuine, right? I think it was the last unit because it's out of stock now haha XD

The good part of ordering the IF Edition version is that I think they provide the best seal out of the 2.0, 2.1, and IF versions. And the carry pouch makes for a great added edition.

That was actually a smart buy, if you ask me.  
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back