[REVIEW] XBA-3 VS XBA-30 VS XBA-40
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #197 of 285
I figured instead of spending a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there for a bit of an improvement here or there, I just went straight to the end and got the jh16's.  To be honest, I think the xba 40 sounds really close to the jh16 except with a bit less detail coming from the jds c5 amp.  They also have the same quality bass, quality.  The best thing though, is that the jh16's bass does not distort, it can handle roughly 8x more bass quantity than the xba 40's.   :L3000:

Other than that, I did not like the jh16's at all when I first got them, compared to the 40's until I got a better source.  The xba 40's allow me to enjoy sub-par sources.

Hi I am assuming you can buy these jh 16's in any country , Australia..... and still get the custom fit?

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #198 of 285
Well, technically you can buy them no matter what country you live in.  I believe JH audio is located only in north america.  However, I know that people from austrailia buy from them all the time using basically the same process as those that live in the usa:  purchase, make ear molds, send earmolds, then recieve jh16's.  The only difference is that you will probably pay more, being overseas, and probably longer wait times (customs inspections and maybe duty fees).

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #200 of 285
hmm.. i really love the vocals and soundstage of the xba30.. one of the best, if not the BEST.
really good with vocal music, pop, song. imaging and 3D are top-notch.

but it dosent really do justice to rock genres which is abit dissapointing for me..
ill burn them in some more and maby ill do a short review on the xba30...
*souce is WalkmanZ

Edit: to be precise, "HardRock". xba30 did good job in some rock songs.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #201 of 285
Try using a higher output impedance source, like a jds labs c5 (2ohm I think).  I was able to enjoy strings again when I went to a higher Z out.

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #202 of 285
Quote:
hmm.. i really love the vocals and soundstage of the xba30.. one of the best, if not the BEST.
really good with vocal music, pop, song. imaging and 3D are top-notch.

but it dosent really do justice to rock genres which is abit dissapointing for me..
ill burn them in some more and maby ill do a short review on the xba30...
*souce is WalkmanZ

Edit: to be precise, "HardRock". xba30 did good job in some rock songs.

You can also try tip-rolling because they do change the sound signature quite a bit. I just tried the Meelec M6 bi-flanges and they are great! Widens the soundstage and opens up more in the higher frequency. Less darker sounding than the Sony hybrids.

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #203 of 285
Has anybody had the chance to compare the Comply Tsx-200 tips (Comfort Plus) with the S-200 (Active), Ts-200 (Comfort) or Tx-200 (Isolation plus).....? 

I think even though my ears are average size, my ear canals are big... :)  I have been using the Large Sony hybrids with my XBA-40 and thought I would try  the comply tips... I ended up getting the Large Tsx-200 (Comfort plus) as they are claimed to be more comfortable to wear.... I did find though that their fit is not as snug as the Sony Hybrids and they get loose easily. The hybrids can be slightly uncomfortable as they create some negative pressure between the tip and the ear drum but I did  find them better overall

Also going back to the Comply tips, 3 weeks after I got them, the right tip's memory foam got torn off the central bit...has anybody else had similar experience...? Is there any point in trying out one of the other models...?! I paid £21 for three pairs of the Comfort Plus tips so I would like to make sure that the other models would have a better and more snug before I order any more.... :)

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #204 of 285
Sorry - haven't had a chance to try different tips. I'm definitely interested in tip switching to see how much it changes up the sound. 

In other news, after much debate - I find myself reaching for the JDSLabs C5 more than the E12 nowadays. 

If i had to rank the best external amp synergy for the 40s, it would be this list:

With Ipod 5.5g LOD

1.JDS Labs C5
2.FiiO E12
3.C&C BH
4.Headstage Arrow 3G
5. FiiO E11

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #205 of 285
+1 on the C5.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #206 of 285
The XBA3 doesn't sound at its best with the C5 tho...

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #209 of 285
I unfortunately have not heard those you listed, but I have heard and owned previous IEMs that set te standard for detail HF5s and ER4S(P).

I would say that the treble is well extended and the detail and clarity is definitely there. It is not cold and analytical as the Etymotic IEMs, it has a touch of warmth that makes it a more warm, fun, and musical IEM

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #210 of 285
first day with jds c5 & xba 4......
It sounds MEAN""
Well worth the $$$
headphone jack from iPhone 5
Awesome sounds
Thanks guys :)
I don't think I'll need to be spending anymore $$$ on audio gear. :)
: except the maybe possibly xba 40's later on down the track
........ maybe,maybe
it's just the thought of the darker sound that doesn't seem to attractive
: but for sure I believe the C5 is a must for anyone with the xba 4

Listen to : Flow rida - good feeling
after hearing that I'm sold :)
any R&B sort of sounds are great
I'm into NZ reggae as well so they sound mean listening to tomorrow people
also watching concerts like Pink sound mean"
I think that combo sound just that bit better then the Beats studios
at least it sounded like that to me after a short comparison / I will listen more later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back