[REVIEW] XBA-3 VS XBA-30 VS XBA-40
Mar 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #61 of 285
Quote:
hey both unamped, is there that big of a difference in sound.

I don't have the 30's yet but the 40's do fine un-amped.  I mainly grabbed these to use without an amp but the 40's do scale better using the hisound studio v 3rd anniv.  I haven't tried it out with any other amps yet.  I still have the xba-3's which sound great straight from iPhone.  Never felt a reason to amp those.  

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #63 of 285
Quote:
hey quick ? for anyone who can answer on this soon to be mega thread...

the bass on the 30 model, where would you rank them alongside the jvc ha-fx700, vsonic gr07, jvc ha-fxt90? i have been swayed away from the 40 model because of it's dependency on amp/dac.

I assume the 30's won't sway to far off from the 3's and from memory, the 700's will have more bass in quantity but quality could be close.  The gr07's bass might be tighter but I don't think it has more quantity.  I only kept the fxt90's for a couple of weeks so I really don't remember.  As for armature earphones go, none that I have heard reaches the bass levels the xba's do.   

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #65 of 285
Oh no... here comes Danny! You know I'm afraid lol!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #67 of 285
Quote:
canikickit,

how does the xba30 goes up against xba40+e11 in terms of sound ?

and does walkman z pair up well with xba40+e11 OR xba30 ???

With that comparison, the 30s have a more balanced approach vs the 40s + e11. The mids are more forward, and gives more of a flat signature than the 40+e11s U shaped signature. The 30s offers a wide soundstage, but not as wide as the xba40+e11. Nevertheless the 30s are definitely a great choice for the price they are currently being offered. One of the best all-rounders I've heard.

In regards to the walkman z, I have not heard the combo with the40+e11 or xba-30. I would definitely assume, since the walkman z's have a zout of 16ohms (
gs1000.gif
), the mids would be more forward than the e11 pairing. My ipod 5.5g has a hp zout of 5ohms and offers a more forward mid than the e11. I would assume a more drastic change with a walkman z pairing.

Quote:
hey quick ? for anyone who can answer on this soon to be mega thread...

the bass on the 30 model, where would you rank them alongside the jvc ha-fx700, vsonic gr07, jvc ha-fxt90? i have been swayed away from the 40 model because of it's dependency on amp/dac.

I've only heard the gr07, and compared to the 30s, I would rank the bass of the gr07 a slight bit higher than the 30s based on the impact and quantity. This is more or less because the gr07 are dynamic drivers, which should naturally perform well on the low end. The 30s definitely do hold it's own, but carries a more balanced, crisp sound throughout the entire spectrum. The low-end definitely holds its own on the 30s, and are definitely not anemic.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #68 of 285
Quote:

With that comparison, the 30s have a more balanced approach vs the 40s + e11. The mids are more forward, and gives more of a flat signature than the 40+e11s U shaped signature. The 30s offers a wide soundstage, but not as wide as the xba40+e11. Nevertheless the 30s are definitely a great choice for the price they are currently being offered. One of the best all-rounders I've heard.

In regards to the walkman z, I have not heard the combo with the40+e11 or xba-30. I would definitely assume, since the walkman z's have a zout of 16ohms (
gs1000.gif
), the mids would be more forward than the e11 pairing. My ipod 5.5g has a hp zout of 5ohms and offers a more forward mid than the e11. I would assume a more drastic change with a walkman z pairing.

ok thanks! helps alot
i guess im gonna go with the 30s and if i really like the sound, i would upgrade it to the 40s+e11 combo.

btw, how does ohms helps in the pairing of iems?

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #69 of 285
Quote:
ok thanks! helps alot
i guess im gonna go with the 30s and if i really like the sound, i would upgrade it to the 40s+e11 combo.

btw, how does ohms helps in the pairing of iems?

http://en.goldenears.net/1389

Its slightly technical but helped me understand a lot.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #70 of 285
Hi everybody,

First post. Not yet and audiophile but getting there..
size]
 I bought a XBA-4 and one week later I sold it. Couldn't stand the mettalic sound. After reading about XBA-40 I decided to try it and.....Wow..What a great sound.. Completely different from XBA-4. Very very good..Excellent highs, powerful bass, good sound separation. I use it with Fiio E11, Galaxy SIII using Neutron Music Player (btw, this is an AMAZING player, 64 bits audio rendering and made for audiophiles, much better than Poweramp. Cant even listen to my Ipod Classic anymore..)
                      I also bought JVC FX 200 which is also great, but the Sony is a little more refined and an overall better listening experience.
                    As you may notice, I like some strong bass without losing sound quality and these two are amazing if you ask me, excellent value for money.
                   I also  had the opportunity to listen to others phone like UE900, Sony MDR  EX-1000, Shure SE535 and Sennheiser IE 80. These are double priced and, IMHO, cant be justified considering XBA-40 price tag, although excellent ones. (In particular, I really like UE900 and dont like SE535). XBA-40 is similar to Sennheiser IE-80 sound signature.
                   If you are looking for a great value for money and appreciate a quad driver with punchy bass, go for it...You wont regret...

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #71 of 285
The Fiio E11 really helps the XBA-40 on devices that normally can't use them to the full potential.

Pulled out mine after reading the comments about it, and can't agree more, really helps the Cowon Z2 with the XBA-40's, in my case.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #73 of 285
Quote:
Hey guys.

Anyone able to compare the 40 with the E11 vs. the O2 yet?

Want my E11? Ha! Can't have it in case I get the 40 some day lol!

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #75 of 285

Users who are viewing this thread

Back