Review: Westone um 30 Pro
Jan 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #46 of 67
  As good as many of their traits are.......UMPro30 and UM3X are very dark and smooth sounding IEM's, period.   Whoever gave you the advice has a VERY limited experience or knowledge of IEM's.

Simple changing them out to W30 would open up your listening experience to a whole new world.  It's that simple in your situation.

Agree.

I did a comparison here between the entire two families (UM and W) if anyone is interested. http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-and-27-others-now-incl-entire-westone-w-um-series-and-jvc-fx-series/105#post_11178667

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #47 of 67
It was a good read.  Thanks for the link.

UM 30 Pro is gone and now the only question is W30 or W40?

From your link, it seems like the W40 a little less sibilant and slightly more lush.

For me sibilance is a real no-no.

Or are they just really that close?

BTW, I am using a Iphone 5s with apple lossless rips.

I considered buying a fostex hp-p1 or a pico slim but am on the fence about that.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #48 of 67
  It was a good read.  Thanks for the link.

UM 30 Pro is gone and now the only question is W30 or W40?

From your link, it seems like the W40 a little less sibilant and slightly more lush.

For me sibilance is a real no-no.

Or are they just really that close?

BTW, I am using a Iphone 5s with apple lossless rips.

I considered buying a fostex hp-p1 or a pico slim but am on the fence about that.

They are close- definitely same family of sound. But if you want to avoid all trace of sibilance, then yes, W40 is the way to go.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #49 of 67
pros : Very special at midrange freq, Voice sounded warm and do not make your ears fatigue. It has a clear sound and very deep bass. Nice isolating.

cons : lack of micro detail when compared to westone w40.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #50 of 67
  So, in an effort to understand why I did not like the UM Pro 30 I tried a few things...

Changed from compressable foam tips to the blue silicone ones.  Better but still not that good.

Because I perceived a lack of stage depth and a lack of attack, I figured that it must be the lower treble.

The lack of stage depth is probably a lack of lower treble energy which would allow reflections off walls etc to be shelved down.  Similarly for the attack / dynamics issue.  When someone whacks the snare drum, you are supposed to get the leading edge thwack of wood hitting the skin plus the metal on the bottom side energizing.

I (against all my 2 channel rules of thumb) started playing with the EQ setting on the phone.

Treble boost brought dynamics back to an acceptable level.  There was now some excitement to the music and because the treble is pretty smooth on the earphone, non-fatiguing.

You know, Gyorgy Ligeti's Musica Ricercata II (1923 - Pierre - Laurent) is supposed to have some startling high notes 1:50 into the piece.  It's better now but there is still too much sustain and not enough attack.

That said, all of these changes still do not get rid of a sense of off tone.  Some speakers (Silverline Sonatina with the LPG midrange when paired with an amp like the AES Super AMP wired for Triode) can do midrange and treble purity that really brings out goosebumps.  The UM Pro 30 does not.

I guess I will try the W30 and the Earsonics SM64 next...

Any further thoughts about the W30 vs SM64? Right now I'm split between those 2 and I'm very interested in a direct comparison.
If anyone can help...thanks!

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #51 of 67
So I got the W30 for Spyro after the UM30.  I also have the SM3 V1.

Between the two, I prefere the SM3.  The W30 and SM3 V1 BOTH have a sonic signature.  The W30 is more V shaped than the UM30 Pro but has a sonic flavor that can be noticed on every song.  The SM3, too, has a flavor.  It is bass heavy but that is it's only signature.  I find it more fun than the W30 but build quality leaves a lot to be desired.  But that is my bias.  My favorite two iems are the TDK BA200, which sound nice even out of an iPhone.  It is more like water.  Becomes whatever the music is.  Not much sonic flavorings at all.  The other iem is the UM Miracle.  The UM Miracle sound bass light unless you have a low output impedance (iphone is ~4ohms and my vorzuge is less than 1 ohm).  It also benefits a lot from good source.  The CLAS -dB really brings out what the UM Miracle can do.  Resolution in spades.  The one caveat, though, is that even with the CLAS and Vorzuge, tone is only so-so.

You can tell that I like a FLAT signature and like a nice warm high resolution sound.  That said, I DO like the SM3 over the W30 mainly because, although it has a signature (enhanced bass), it does not have any other flavorings.  The W30 (imho) has the Westone house sound which add more than just tilted up treble and bass.  Something in the lower mids/upper bass.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #53 of 67
It really depends upon the sound you are looking for.  The TDK BA200 is fairly flat, in my opinion.  Some people like more bass.  Some people more highs.  Some people like BOTH for a more V shape.  And beyond that is the clarity and tone.

As far as the build quality, the SM3 version 2 fixed the build quality issue and I assume the SM64 has good build quality as well.  I am not sure though.

In actuality, it is hard to find the style of sound you like.  Reading all of jokers reviews really does help though as he is pretty consistent in his comparisons.

Good luck.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #54 of 67
You’re right…is hard to find the ideal sound.
Right now, I’m in the following situation:
  1. listened to UM Pro 30 – liked very much the details & separation but disliked the rolled-off highs and somehow a lifeless sound;
  2. listened to some M-Audio IE series (UE Triple FI rebranded) – liked very much the clarity, detailed mids & energetic treble but disliked the lack of bass;
  3. listened to Sennheiser IE80 – liked very much the musicality, soundstage and off course the lows, but disliked the veiled mids and wanted for more treble;

So…I’m searching for an IEM which to combine all of the Pros from the above 3 items.
What would you recommend in this case?
Any other suggestions/recommendations…are welcomed.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #55 of 67
  You’re right…is hard to find the ideal sound.
Right now, I’m in the following situation:
  1. listened to UM Pro 30 – liked very much the details & separation but disliked the rolled-off highs and somehow a lifeless sound;
  2. listened to some M-Audio IE series (UE Triple FI rebranded) – liked very much the clarity, detailed mids & energetic treble but disliked the lack of bass;
  3. listened to Sennheiser IE80 – liked very much the musicality, soundstage and off course the lows, but disliked the veiled mids and wanted for more treble;

So…I’m searching for an IEM which to combine all of the Pros from the above 3 items.
What would you recommend in this case?
Any other suggestions/recommendations…are welcomed.

Not sure your budget but Pro50 fixes all of this.  Everything is relative and Pro30 is decent but good traits aside, it still has the following problems.
-  Rolled off highs, no doubt.
-  I find the lower mid bass to be the dominant frequency in every piece of music with treble and lower bass in the background.
-  There's an overall inclusiveness to the sound, basically zero soundstage and claustrophobic.  Great instrument separation but very closed in sound.

Pro 50 is a huge upgrade.  Much more open sound, not claustrophobic,  While warm and smooth, a better treble representation and an overall more balanced sound.  Bass is thick but DEEP and not overly dominant.  All frequencies are well represented.  Super smooth, non fatiguing.  I just caution that the treble IS warm and won't have that crazy crisp brighteness that most people associate with extended treble.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #56 of 67

Thanks Spyro!

Unfortunately UM Pro 50 is out of my budget (~500 USD) but you made me very curious about their sound.
I'll try to listen to them and who knows...maybe the feeling of a huge upgrade - as you said - will make me think they worth the extra money.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #57 of 67
How are these compared to sennheiser IE80? Is this a better choice? I've read both had their own issue. But I'm not an audiophile. I just want a good IEM to be paired with my fiio x5

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #58 of 67
I got a pair of UM Pro 30s a few days ago and have had a chance to do a back-to-back comparison with my existing UM3Xs.  I find the UM Pro 30s to be a bit warmer than the UM3Xs, dropping more of the high end that otherwise lends atmosphere and sparkle to music.  When listening to piano, the tinkle of hammers hitting the strings and the buzz of dampers returning to rest are all muted compared to the UM3X (source = iPhone 6+).  When listening to tracks from Shpongle, background creaks and squeaks are so subdued as to be easily missed.  The 3 year old UM3Xs do have a bit of resonance at 400 or 600 Hz that's missing from the UM Pro 30s.  Since the UM Pro 30s were to be a replacement for the aging UM3Xs, I'm disappointed that they weren't more similar.  (Sure Olives used for both IEMs.) 

I've ordered a pair of  W30s to make a side by side comparison to the UM Pro 30s, the W3s and UM3Xs.  Either the UM Pro 30s or W30s will be going back after a good long comparison.  Hopefully, the W30s will wow me a bit more than the UM Pro 30s.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #59 of 67
  I got a pair of UM Pro 30s a few days ago and have had a chance to do a back-to-back comparison with my existing UM3Xs.  I find the UM Pro 30s to be a bit warmer than the UM3Xs, dropping more of the high end that otherwise lends atmosphere and sparkle to music.  When listening to piano, the tinkle of hammers hitting the strings and the buzz of dampers returning to rest are all muted compared to the UM3X (source = iPhone 6+).  When listening to tracks from Shpongle, background creaks and squeaks are so subdued as to be easily missed.  The 3 year old UM3Xs do have a bit of resonance at 400 or 600 Hz that's missing from the UM Pro 30s.  Since the UM Pro 30s were to be a replacement for the aging UM3Xs, I'm disappointed that they weren't more similar.  (Sure Olives used for both IEMs.) 

I've ordered a pair of  W30s to make a side by side comparison to the UM Pro 30s, the W3s and UM3Xs.  Either the UM Pro 30s or W30s will be going back after a good long comparison.  Hopefully, the W30s will wow me a bit more than the UM Pro 30s.

Might want to contact Westone.  Something may be wrong.  Pro30 and UM3X should sound identical.

Hopefully W30 will be a breath of fresh air for you.  Much more open sounding and brighter but with equally satisfying bass.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #60 of 67

Might want to contact Westone.  Something may be wrong.  Pro30 and UM3X should sound identical.

Hopefully W30 will be a breath of fresh air for you.  Much more open sounding and brighter but with equally satisfying bass.

The difference is not large enough to indicate the HF drivers are out, but enough to dull the piano.  Plus, the muffled HF is the same in both ear pieces.  It's a tuning choice made by Westone, or a manufacturing variation in the driver/crossover response, or my old UM3x's filters have changed a bit after 3 years of in-ear wear.

My W30s arrived.  On a quick listen, it adds life back to the piano piece I was using for comparison (Marc-Andre Hamlin, The Composer Pianists, Toccata in G-flat Major, Godowsky).  I'm tempted to put down a first impression comparison, but that's always risky.

Using another set of IEMs (SE846s), I noticed fingernail clicks in the piano recording that aren't coming out of either the W30s or UM Pro 30s.  I'm currently running through my collection of IEMs and over-the-ears to see which are and aren't reproducing the slight finger nail clicks in this piece.  Some are, some aren't.  I've also switched to the Fiio X5ii as the source to minimize any impedance related issues in the comparison vs. the iPhone 6+ (Fiio X5ii impedance < 0.1 ohm vs. < ~3 ohms for the iPhone 6+).  I'll have a comparison list in a day or so.

Surprisingly, I did a side-by-side comparison of the UM Pro 30s vs. the W30s at the Jaben store in Singapore a few weeks back and it was the W30s that sounded lifeless.  The following is a photo showing just some of the counter's worth of IEMs they had to demo.  I could have spent all night, but I got there just 50 minutes before closing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back