[Review] Westone 4 Quad Driver earphones - Bird of Prey
Jan 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #16 of 71
Hello Shigzeo,

It semms that you are the only one who listened to both Sm3 and W4.

For me, if I can say that, the Sm3 are a kind of UM3X with more air, depth, soundstage, instrument separation and dynamism (better for my tastes). How are W4 in these departements?

Is there something that W4 does "better" than the SM3? Will be the W4 an upgrade from the SM3?

Thank you very much.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 71
Wow, you really want to spend money, don't you? The W4 is a much nicer earphone in terms of build quality. Looks are up to you, of course. It's midrange is quite glorious and in some respected, more spacious than the SM3. Apart from build quality, however, I don't have a real favourite between the two. At this level, you aren't really getting 'better' so much as you are getting different flavours and of course, build quality. The latter is really important when an earphone costs upwards of 400$-450$.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 71
thanks for the review shigzeo. I always look forward to your reviews as you are one of the few who tests using Trance.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 71
Thank you very much for your prompt answer Shigzeo,

I didn't say that I want to buy it...:wink:

But from my first Shure SE-310, I always wanted to upgrade to a better IEM and I'm used to sell the "previous" IEM for the new one...But I really don't want to buy customs...

Perhaps I will wait for the SM4...:wink:

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #20 of 71
I'll be updating the review to reflect drivability from a variety of sources. 

RE: Trance - it still is my favourite and is an excellent genre to test with because it remains cleanly defined, but stresses a huge dynamic range. Still, I'm starting to travel back to David Bowie and onto new ground: IDM! 

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 71
Well, I'm a bit dissapointed. Thought two bass drivers would do something interesting (nice rumble in the lowest end), but if it's even less in quantity than UM3X, than this IEM is probably not for me. Sadly, because I wanted a UM3X with more rumble in the lowest end with the housing of W3.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #23 of 71
Can't wait for the x-Jays to come out and to be compared to these...I really think Jays can out-do Westone both in terms of sound and price. We just have to wait and watch. Really enjoyed your review and the pictures!
popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #24 of 71
Jays are a great company, but they don't incorporate as good of cross overs. I've taken apart a q-Jays to check. It is a fine machine, but it isn't handled as well as the Westone models of similar technology or price. But, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jays can pull off with the x-Jays. I think, though, that like the q-Jays we may see some long delays. q-Jays were delayed, what, a year? And the x-Jays seems to be about that long already. I hope to seem them soon.

Still, if you are looking for a more complete/quality package, I don't think that Westone are beat by Jays at any price.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 71
Always interesting to read about new Westone products, not really a fan of the W3's however the UM3X's came real close to unseating the CK10's as my favorite universal ever. This combined with the Touch My Apps Review seems to lead me to believe that the W4 would be something I would enjoy based on my UM3X love. However, after my custom purchase I really don't feel the need for any more universals, they would be fun to hear some day though.... 
evil_smiley.gif
 Really need to make it to a CanJam at some point

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 71

Quote:
Sorry for all the mistakes. I've been recovering from a very long flight back from Los Angeles and made a number of mistakes. I'll try to fix them. Yes, the Westone 4 extends well in both directions, but has less overall bass presence than the 3. I don't really know which is more sensitive at the player level, though, so the amount of bass/treble/midrange you get at the same volume step might be more or less depending. That I need to check again.

Hi Shigzeo, thank you for the nice detailed impression of the W4. Between the W4 and W3, which one do you think has more detail and transparency?

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #27 of 71

[size=medium]
Hi there everybody!

First of all, thanks for the very good and extensive reviews and impressions from all of you. I'm new to the high-end IEM area (but a profound sound quality lover) and you've all helped me a lot in terms of getting an idea and making up my mind with all the different choices out there... I've also posted this in the Westone 4 threat in the hope of getting some replies!

@shigzeo: Could you compare the W4 to the SE535 in terms of bass / lower end performance, which is important to me...? From your posts, I've gained the impression that the W4 are less pronounced in that area than both the W3 and UM3x. Since I've only heard the SE535, I would love to get a comparison. To me, the SE535 were an amazing performer in terms of clarity, especially in the mids, but the lower end of the spectrum was a good bit too light and restrained... Can anyone help me get an idea of the W4 on that front?

Thanks so much and keep up the great community!
chron
[/size]

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 71

Quote:
I'll be updating the review to reflect drivability from a variety of sources. 

RE: Trance - it still is my favourite and is an excellent genre to test with because it remains cleanly defined, but stresses a huge dynamic range. Still, I'm starting to travel back to David Bowie and onto new ground: IDM! 

IDM. Yes! Go go go.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #30 of 71

Quote:

I think it is a great earphone, though I think that unlike the Westone 3, it is less of a benchmark product and more of a pleasure product.

Hi Shigzeo, I enjoyed reading the review. Your last statement, though, left me itching for a bit more of an elaboration. That you've described the IEM with a more tamed bass and treble presentation to be a pleasure product is interesting. Though I may not always agree to this notion, I've almost always assumed that most folks associate a salient bass and treble to be the main traits of a "fun" sound. Are you hinting that the W3 may be a more "technically" capable IEM?
It was a fleeting good news that the W4 might have a more natural presentation and docile character than that of the W3, but I am not entirely finding solace with them being that much likened to the UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back