[Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED]
Aug 2, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #136 of 161
  Very thankful Dear Jab: I just ordered the Woo WA7 now I have the Siemens tubes coming. So exciting. I can't wait for all this to get to me here in Vietnam. Best!

Congrats! Pls. keep us posted with your listening impressions after the initial break-in period (50–100hrs). We would love to see a pic or two as well. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #138 of 161
  Been listening to CBS-Hytron for two days now, I have to say these tubes are a game changer, such sweetness, such dynamism, lifted my game!

pic of the tubes?

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #139 of 161
I have a gen1 WA7Fireflies w/WA7tp power supply with stock tubes. I'm considering tube rolling, but I'm not sure the improvement would be worth it (for me). I really like the sound of the Fireflies with my Mr Speakers Alpha Primes, but I made the mistake of bringing my Primes to the RMAF and listening to them on some high end rigs. I was floored with how amazing they could sound! My favorite setup was a Mojo Audio DAC mated to a Cavalli Audio Liquid Tungsten prototype. Super-detailed, but still smooth, with a wide soundstage and amazing instrument separation.

So I got upgrade-itis and been trying to figure out where to go next. I considered sending in my WA7 for the Gen2 upgrade, but I'm not sure it would be a big enough improvement. I hooked up my WA7 to my Oppo HA-1 (which also has a Sabre DAC) and while there was a little more detail, it wasn't a night and day difference.

So I'm wondering if tube rolling will satisfy my upgrade craving or if I should just start saving to completely upgrade my rig? I was thinking an Yggdrasil + WA22 combo would be pretty sweet! 

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #140 of 161
I'd give the CBS/Hytron tubes a try in the power supply. You can get them for less than $100... and they sound great. Just gotta get the right ones. I had the older WA7 and I sold it for the new one and I added the tube power supply this time. I'd say the power supply is gonna be the biggest bang for buck- and swapping the tubes just makes that power supply even sweeter. IDK if there was a huge difference with the new dac... not worth what they want to do the upgrade anyway. Chord has the new Hugo2 coming out too! I'm gonna try it for sure.
  I have a gen1 WA7Fireflies w/WA7tp power supply with stock tubes. I'm considering tube rolling, but I'm not sure the improvement would be worth it (for me). I really like the sound of the Fireflies with my Mr Speakers Alpha Primes, but I made the mistake of bringing my Primes to the RMAF and listening to them on some high end rigs. I was floored with how amazing they could sound! My favorite setup was a Mojo Audio DAC mated to a Cavalli Audio Liquid Tungsten prototype. Super-detailed, but still smooth, with a wide soundstage and amazing instrument separation.

So I got upgrade-itis and been trying to figure out where to go next. I considered sending in my WA7 for the Gen2 upgrade, but I'm not sure it would be a big enough improvement. I hooked up my WA7 to my Oppo HA-1 (which also has a Sabre DAC) and while there was a little more detail, it wasn't a night and day difference.

So I'm wondering if tube rolling will satisfy my upgrade craving or if I should just start saving to completely upgrade my rig? I was thinking an Yggdrasil + WA22 combo would be pretty sweet! 

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #141 of 161
All I can say is that the  wa7/tp was one of my favorite amps..enjoy

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #142 of 161
Just ordered a 2nd gen WA7 and WA7tp with the EH tubes... also purchased a pair of NOS Philips Heerlen ECC82 (1964) and a pair of NOS CBS Hytron 5814 (1956). I've received the tubes but the WA7 is backordered 2 weeks. Will mainly go through my HD800S phones, curious about using the Philips in the amp and the Hytron in the power supply, any thoughts?

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #143 of 161
Just ordered a 2nd gen WA7 and WA7tp with the EH tubes... also purchased a pair of NOS Philips Heerlen ECC82 (1964) and a pair of NOS CBS Hytron 5814 (1956). I've received the tubes but the WA7 is backordered 2 weeks. Will mainly go through my HD800S phones, curious about using the Philips in the amp and the Hytron in the power supply, any thoughts?
Wait, what? Negative buddy. The amp section only supports 6C45 compatible tubes such as the EH. The power supply is the only place you can use the 12AU7 compatible tubes such as the ECC82s and 5814s. I wouldn't mix those up if I were you, could make for a bad day. Anyway, where did you score those Hytrons? I have those and they're definitely my favorites of all the ps tubes. The Phillips are a little muddy sounding to me. Also, those EH gold pins seem to un-tubeify the sound of any of the ps tubes. Meaning they're slightly cleaner sounding than the stock Sovteks but remove a lot of the tube magic from the sound of the 12AU7s such as euphonics, bass quantity, lushness, and liquidity.

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #144 of 161
Oh haha wasn't thinking Of course different tubes... I was able to get the Hytron's on eBay just a few days ago, the guy might still have a couple pairs available. Looking forward to trying everything out.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #145 of 161
Oh haha wasn't thinking Of course different tubes... I was able to get the Hytron's on eBay just a few days ago, the guy might still have a couple pairs available. Looking forward to trying everything out.

Haha whew scared me for a sec. Yeah that's where I got mine too. Man I miss those days of cheap tubes. My advice, if you love the sound of WA7 after all that..don't upgrade anymore. I should've stopped there too but now I'm almost 10k into my current setup lol. (Still have the WA7 though)

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #147 of 161
OK - I've read most of this thread. But there's one big question that I wasn't able to get answered. Why would changing the tubes on a power supply have such a noticeable effect on the sound quality?

My understanding is if you have an amp that requires X amount of voltage and Y amount of current, then as long as you meet that requirement' (and assuming it's clean power) what matter does it make how that power was generated?

I just can't wrap my head around how changing these tubes would make any difference?

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #148 of 161
Anyone know where i can find the CBS-Hytron 5814a 12AU7 pair (white label or red label) be or the Mullard CV4003? Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #149 of 161
Anyone know where i can find the CBS-Hytron 5814a 12AU7 pair (white label or red label) be or the Mullard CV4003? Thank you!
I have the red label Hytrons but it took a couple months of scouring eBay to get them. Actually I went through 2 pairs that were listed and branded as CBS Hytrons but didn’t sound as described in the reviews of them. Highly frustrating but the real deal ones are worth it. The Mullards were slightly easier to find, also eBay, but only a week or two before someone posted a pair. I ended up selling mine though because they were too flat and 2 dimensional for my tastes. Super clean sounding though.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #150 of 161
I have the red label Hytrons but it took a couple months of scouring eBay to get them. Actually I went through 2 pairs that were listed and branded as CBS Hytrons but didn’t sound as described in the reviews of them. Highly frustrating but the real deal ones are worth it. The Mullards were slightly easier to find, also eBay, but only a week or two before someone posted a pair. I ended up selling mine though because they were too flat and 2 dimensional for my tastes. Super clean sounding though.

Thank you for your response. Would you be able to help me locate a pair of Siemens ECC82 Silver Plates? It seems like the CBS Hydron are hard to find. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back