[Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED]
Dec 6, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #106 of 161
Hi folks, I'm new to Head-Fi, and I have read this thread with great interest. My WA7tp will be hopefully on its way soon, and I'm considering getting the Mullard CV4003s to replace the stock tubes. I will order them from Watford Valves (UK), but I first want to make sure that these are the ones to get (see link below). Can someone please advise? Also, does "cryo treatment" make any sense?

ECC82/CV4003/M8136-MULLARD

I'm also in the market for a new pair of headphones to use with the WA7/WA7tp, and I'm torn between the Fazor LCD-2 (or possibly even the LCD-3s) and the LCD-X. Based on various reviews, the LCD-X seems to be the better match with the WA7. Any suggestions?

Kudos to Jeb and Kyle for their excellent write-ups, and to all other Head-Fiers who have contributed to this and the WA7tp first impressions thread! :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #107 of 161
  Hi folks, I'm new to Head-Fi, and I have read this thread with great interest. My WA7tp will be hopefully on its way soon, and I'm considering getting the Mullard CV4003s to replace the stock tubes. I will order them from Watford Valves (UK), but I first want to make sure that these are the ones to get (see link below). Can someone please advise? Also, does "cryo treatment" make any sense?

I'm also in the market for a new pair of headphones to use with the WA7/WA7tp, and I'm torn between the Fazor LCD-2 (or possibly even the LCD-3s) and the LCD-X. Based on various reviews, the LCD-X seems to be the better match with the WA7. Any suggestions?

Kudos to Jeb and Kyle for their excellent write-ups, and to all other Head-Fiers who have contributed to this and the WA7tp first impressions thread! :)

welcome to the board, & congrats on your new amp I think you'll find the cv4003's will fast become your favorites they sure were for me. I really enjoy my lcd's there simply the best I've owned..enjoy

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #108 of 161
@Gergely - yes those are the ones:  the Mullard CV4003 with the "box" plates.  Very expensive. I think the price is ex-VAT so £66 each + shipping.  

I can understand wanting to get them from a reputable seller.  Look at Langrex.com "common valve" page -  they are listed at £35 each.  Langrex is solid and many people here buy from them. 

I would forget about Cryo treatment.  It's a method of freezing the tubes, which apparently causes subtle changes to the structure of the metals in the tubes.  The claimed benefit (according to Watford valves) is that it lowers the noise floor and microphonics.  Even if that were the case (who knows) it's likely to be pointless for this application in the WA7tp, where the tubes are just used as rectifiers.

Re: headphones.... the very best advice is to demo.  I know this can be tricky due to limited stores stocking them... but it's a lot of money so still worth an extended drive / train journey to hear the whole range in the flesh.  The weight of the LCDs is also an issue for me.  It isn't for lots of people. But it's worth checking for yourself. 

If you can take your WA7 with you when it arrives, that would be ideal. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #109 of 161

Thanks! Hey if it's not too late I'll sell you my NOS Mullard CV4003's. They're just sitting in my dresser drawer not being used. I honestly don't like the sound of them with my LCD-Xs. It's flat and boring, but detailed and clean. I'm kind of a basshead so they don't suit my needs. Others love them though. PM me if interested. LCD-X is an amazing pairing with WA7tp once you get some great tubes. The CBS Hytron 5814a's are the best to me, closely followed by my Siemens ECC82s and JANs. Those combos really get the LCD-Xs movin and groovin.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #110 of 161
Hi all - what a great forum with tons of info.  I'm a bit of a newbie to amps and DAC's and came across these and find them really compelling - just about to pull the trigger, but I have a question or two.

I hope I'm understanding this correct, the majority of the Tube Rolling and swapping is done on the WA7tp and not so much on the WA7 or WA7d - correct?  Does the sound really change that much by swapping tubes in the power supply - sorry, that may seem like a dumb question.

Lastly I'm really on the fence about springing for the WA7tp or just getting the WA7 with the solid state power.  It's starts to add up quickly as I also read that I should get specific power cables just to plug in the WA7tp.

Thanks for any advice!

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #111 of 161
Hi all - what a great forum with tons of info.  I'm a bit of a newbie to amps and DAC's and came across these and find them really compelling - just about to pull the trigger, but I have a question or two.

I hope I'm understanding this correct, the majority of the Tube Rolling and swapping is done on the WA7tp and not so much on the WA7 or WA7d - correct?  Does the sound really change that much by swapping tubes in the power supply - sorry, that may seem like a dumb question.

Lastly I'm really on the fence about springing for the WA7tp or just getting the WA7 with the solid state power.  It's starts to add up quickly as I also read that I should get specific power cables just to plug in the WA7tp.

Thanks for any advice!

Hey so yes, just about every tube roll in this thread is talking about the ones in the tube power supply. Not so much in the WA7 amp section. The tube power supply swaps change the sound dramatically for some reason. I have 5 different sets of tubes for that thing and each swap makes it sound like a completely different product, it's so cool! I'm with you though, the WA7+WA7tp is my first DAC and headphone amp. I'm absolutely floored with how it sounds over my LCD-Xs.

So yeah, definitely grab the tube power supply version. The solid state version probably sounds fine, but you're basically stuck only being able to swap the amp tubes with EH gold pins and those don't really improve the sound much at all. I bought those to try out in the amp section, used em for about 2-3hrs, didn't like them at all, and now they sit in my tube drawer collecting dust. Also, I use the standard power cables from Woo and get amazing sound. Haven't so much as thought about upgrading those. What kind of headphones will you be using with the WA7? That also matters. I used to have Audeze's EL-8 opens and they sounded really sterile through the WA7tp for some reason. Just a thought.

Either way, Jeb's, mine, and a others WA7tp impressions in this thread are pretty spot on and an awesome guide to the wonderfulness that this dac/amp is capable of. Once you get the right headphones, tubes, and music, that thing will drop your jaw with how insanely good it sounds for an all in one system. Most nights when I listen in bed I just stare at it glowing on my nightstand like how the screw does that thing make music sound this gorgeous??

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #112 of 161
Thanks Kyle - great info and it all makes me want them even more!  I have some Audeze LCD-XC's on their way, my primary use at my office, so I need something closed.  I actually do most of my listening at work - love the open floor plan, but I'm easily distracted :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #113 of 161
bump 
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #114 of 161
Curious since a lot of Audeze headphone users in this thread. I use the EL-8's closed. I wanted to know if anyone compared this to the Deckard amp dac combo? (I know the deckard might be out classed)

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #115 of 161
Curious since a lot of Audeze headphone users in this thread. I use the EL-8's closed. I wanted to know if anyone compared this to the Deckard amp dac combo? (I know the deckard might be out classed)

Can't speak for the Deckard, but I originally had the EL-8 opens with the WA7tp and it was a no-go. The EL-8s didn't respond well or at all to tube swaps. I just couldn't get them to sound rich and warm as they should have through a tube amp. I'd imagine the closed back version would have the same problem since I auditioned those too and they sounded even more bright than the opens. Try a warm sounding solid state amp. I plugged my EL-8s into a Centrance Hi-Fi M8 portable dac/amp and fell in love. That thing smoothed over every gripe I had about the EL-8s, and if I didn't trade up to LCD-X that's the amp I would've stuck with. The tone controls are a huge plus. With the Deckard you're stuck with how it sounds. Plus M8 is portable..win win. And at $699 you'd be saving money going with the M8 vs WA7. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #116 of 161
Can't speak for the Deckard, but I originally had the EL-8 opens with the WA7tp and it was a no-go. The EL-8s didn't respond well or at all to tube swaps. I just couldn't get them to sound rich and warm as they should have through a tube amp. I'd imagine the closed back version would have the same problem since I auditioned those too and they sounded even more bright than the opens. Try a warm sounding solid state amp. I plugged my EL-8s into a Centrance Hi-Fi M8 portable dac/amp and fell in love. That thing smoothed over every gripe I had about the EL-8s, and if I didn't trade up to LCD-X that's the amp I would've stuck with. The tone controls are a huge plus. With the Deckard you're stuck with how it sounds. Plus M8 is portable..win win. And at $699 you'd be saving money going with the M8 vs WA7. Just my 2 cents.

Can add any Dac to the Deckard. Deckard sounds great though. I would not say my EL-8's are bright at all.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #119 of 161
Can add any Dac to the Deckard. Deckard sounds great though. I would not say my EL-8's are bright at all.

Nice. Well you have my opinion of WA7 and EL-8s anyway. Maybe audition the new 2nd gen WA7?

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #120 of 161
It's official... 2nd gen WA7 Fireflies is now available.

I don't suppose the old WA7s can be updated can they? What differences can you hear with the new version? I'm gonna check it out at CanJam this weekend, but I'm also looking to hear a WA22 as a possible impulse buy upgrade if it rocks my world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back