[Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED]
Mar 18, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #122 of 161
Was your tube swap out of the Tube power supply or of the AMp itself. It seems most are swapping the power supply tubes.

All the swaps were in the tube power supply. Those make the biggest difference in sound signature. I tried the EH gold pin tube swap in the amp, but that did little to nothing. Waste of money. To my ears it actually made the sound kinda boring. I stick with the stock tubes in the amp now and only switch the tubes in the powers supply around to get different sounds. That's where the WA7 could win for you over Deckard. It's multiple amps in one with the tube swaps. Deckard you're stuck unless you swap dacs which could get pricey. I might be selling my WA7 with ALL the tubes I have to play with soon if you're interested.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #123 of 161
All the swaps were in the tube power supply. Those make the biggest difference in sound signature. I tried the EH gold pin tube swap in the amp, but that did little to nothing. Waste of money. To my ears it actually made the sound kinda boring. I stick with the stock tubes in the amp now and only switch the tubes in the powers supply around to get different sounds. That's where the WA7 could win for you over Deckard. It's multiple amps in one with the tube swaps. Deckard you're stuck unless you swap dacs which could get pricey. I might be selling my WA7 with ALL the tubes I have to play with soon if you're interested.

PM me with cost. I assume your including the tube power supply too?

May 6, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #125 of 161
What the difference between the ecc82 and e82cc Siemens? Are these the ones you tested?

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/12au7-ecc82-cv4003-5814-6189/siemens-e82cc-12au7/

Nope. Especially by the looks of the E82CC in that video, they're definitely different than ECC82. But from his impressions I'm definitely curious to try these E82CCs. I sold off most of my other power supply tubes but kept a pair of Siemens cuz they sound so wide and clean, however the bass is slackin a little for my taste. I wonder if this E82CC version kicks it up a notch.

May 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #127 of 161
Gotcha. Thanks. Are you still digging the CBS 5814A? I may just grab a pair of them.

Oh yeah. Those are my favorites. They're like a perfect mix between the Sylvania JANs and the Siemens ECC82s. Deep and liquid but also wider and 3D. SO hard to find a decent matched pair of them though. But seriously don't give up the search. It may take weeks or months to find em but they're very worth it. My new WA22 almost nails that sound signature in its stock form but not quite as liquid. Honestly I miss the WA7tp/CBS Hytron combo pretty often. It's that good. It's gonna take hundreds of dollars in new tubes to get me back to or above that combo's SQ. Good luck!

May 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #129 of 161
Thanks man! Yeah I just grabbed a pair on eBay. 1957 red label, slanted getter. Hope these are the same as the ones you have.

Score! Yeah those should be it. Write up some impressions after you give em a good listen! We'd love to read what you think. Pics are always good too :wink:

May 6, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #130 of 161
Yes, the CBS Hytron reds are my favorite as well. Though for some music the Mullard's are very nice also.

May 7, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #131 of 161
Will do! Thanks for the help. $100 for a pair shipped. They had different red markings- CBS was in a diamond and no Hytron name- but from 1955 to 1957 I don't think there was any changes. Slanted getter. Fingers crossed.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #133 of 161
I am most Thankful for you review. So much so in fact I just pull the trigger for the WA7 just now. I have zero idea what I am doing with tubes since I am an expat living in Vietnam. I am now going to buy tubes if you can believe it. Your tubes. Looking forward to jointing the club. I am right now using the Mojo with Mahler symphony number 6 and I can't wait to do Mahler with Woo!!!

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #134 of 161
  I am most Thankful for you review. So much so in fact I just pull the trigger for the WA7 just now. I have zero idea what I am doing with tubes since I am an expat living in Vietnam. I am now going to buy tubes if you can believe it. Your tubes. Looking forward to jointing the club. I am right now using the Mojo with Mahler symphony number 6 and I can't wait to do Mahler with Woo!!!

Congrats! Be sure to share some pics. We would love to see them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back