REVIEW w/PICS --> ATH-AD2000
May 5, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, when I put on the AD2000's I was a little dissapointed. They press in a strange way onto my head. Cuz there is no adjustment on which angle they should lay on the ears. Like, tilting each cup up and down. The proline's are totally different in that matter, with huge adjustment-potential for that. Further more, the AD2000's has some kind of rattle-noise when I shake my head with them on.

I noticed exactly the same problems when I first received my AD2000's. What I found was that the uncomfortable akward feeling from the pads went completely away when I started tilting the headband more towards my forehead. That and a little time to get used to the fit has allowed me to completely forget that I ever found them strange (though not necessarily uncomfortable). As far as the noise you hear when you move your head, from what I can tell its just the outside of the cable rubbing against the wire-guard that extends from the earcup (or some other part further inside the phone) that ends up producing a rubbery squeak. If you're moving around a lot (more than I would ever want to when enjoying music) it could be annoying, but I don't even really notice it anymore. Tell me your not impressed by the build quality though. It's something I really miss when I swap over to the k701's (which seems to be happening less and less frequently...)

May 5, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Example: http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4963/15757285du.jpg (thanks Fitz)

I didn't take that picture.
confused.gif

May 5, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 33
Thanks for the impressions! Interesting reading though about the fit....I thought the smaller size and tighter fit of the AD2000 meant it wasn't plagued with the same fitment issues (requiring the "elastic band" mod) as the W5000.

May 5, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #22 of 33
If you're having problems with the drivers resting on your ears, try gerG's phatpads mod. Like you mentioned about stuffing the earpads, it specifically involves surgical tubing of a certain OD (can easily get them if you have a diver shop nearby); that way the drivers don't rest as much on the ears. It was a problem with me, as my ears tend to get sensitive after a while.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29237

May 5, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 33
Looks like an interesting mod.....might help with the W5000 too, although one of the problems with that can is that angle that the headphone sits in relation to the ear, preventing a good seal - not sure if this type of mod would "cure" that.

May 5, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 33
I'm not sure I'd characterize the AD2000's as the FOTM.

Those that have had them for a while, who have compared them to others like the RS-1's, HD600's, and HD650's - have realized for some time, that with tube / hybrid equipment, and well burnt in... there are very few phones that can equal the AD2000's. And their bass is certainly the equal of the HD650's - actually better, while the rest of their frequencies, imaging, etc. are superior to the HD650's. Actually... I guess I'd say they're most similar to the HD600's, or perhaps the RS-1's - but, may be a bit better than either.

Right out of the box... the AD2000's sound just a bit sterile and cold with honky upper mids... but, after burn in... that all disappears - as it becomes a much warmer phone with good imaging, texture, air, clarity and detail.

Although... some of these qualities are best attained at higher volumes (especially the bass impact) - they still sound great at lower volumes.

May 6, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #27 of 33
Oh man Gradofan I couldn't agree with you more! The AD2000s are the best heaphones I've ever heard. While I haven't heard as many HPs as the more experienced members of head-fi, among my current cans these are undeniably my favorite. They just seem so....transparent? I don't know how else to describe it. It's as if theres nothing between me and my music. Like alexpea said when I listen to them I feel like I'm inside the music. I think this may be what other head-fiers describe as airyness. I've only heard these through my Heed Canamp but I'm very curious as to how they would sound with tube eqipment. I'd also like to point out that burn in works wonders on these cans. I distinctly remember finding them very "harsh" and "fatiguing" at first, but now I listen to them for hours on end with no fatigue at all.

May 6, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #28 of 33
Hi again. Thanx for all the nice feedback
smily_headphones1.gif
A couple of more days has passed by, and I'm liking the phones more and more. The 750's are just hanging there, not being used at all - and I never think I ever will again when I can choose the AD2000's instead - hehe !! So I guess I'll have to put them up for sale very soon.

BTW - I will try to borrow the A900's from my friend this week for a comparison up against the AD2000's. I'm actually VERY interrested in hearing the difference.

May 6, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #29 of 33
hehe....MUST RESIST.....MUST RESIST............

/ Mods, please LOCK this money sucking thread
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #30 of 33
Has anyone here done a cable upgrade for the AD2k? I've been considering it for a while now but I'm not sure if there will be any noticeable improvement as it sounds fantastic already. I just read Elephas' thread on hid recabled W5000 (Enigma Audio Oracle cable). He seemed impressed with the results. Someone should give it a try, and let the rest of us know
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back