REVIEW w/PICS --> ATH-AD2000
May 4, 2007 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
Finally they arrived. The mighty Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000! The camera used for the photos is not good at all, so keep that in mind. Oh, and please feel free to request pictures from cetrain angles or somehing.

History:
I started with the DT 880'05 phones. They were quickly returned because of lack of bass and sharp highs. Then I went to the A900's. Damn I had a good time with those, but they are now sold to a friend of mine. (Will try to borrow them from him for a comparison) The money was then spent on some Ultrasone Proline 750's which turned out to not be my taste at all. Boomy bass, weak mids, and metallic highs. I have the AKG K81 DJ's as well, and they sound much better. The bass is actually not as boomy on those, and the highs are much more pleasant to listen to. The prolines also seemed very reverby and not that direct sound which I prefer.

THEN - I decided to take the step up to the AD2000's. So, here are my impressions of it - also with some comparison with the 750's and the K81's in between.

The package (from audiojelly for 499 btw) was neat and stylish.

I was very curious on how the comfort would be like, cuz the A900's was extremely comfortable. However, when I put on the AD2000's I was a little dissapointed. They press in a strange way onto my head. Cuz there is no adjustment on which angle they should lay on the ears. Like, tilting each cup up and down. The proline's are totally different in that matter, with huge adjustment-potential for that. Further more, the AD2000's has some kind of rattle-noise when I shake my head with them on. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it really doesn't matter. The driver lie on my ears, as many others also encounter, but IMO it's not a problem. All in all the comfort of these are quite nice, but I will try to stuff something into the pads to make them thicker. Many stuff the same amount of fabric into the pads all the way around, but I will try to put more on the top of the pad to compensate for the adjustment-lack in the cup. I need to feel more pressure on the top of each cup simply!!

Now, on to the sound. I put on "Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing" and it sounds brilliant on these phones. The sound is airy (VERY airy) and distinct. The phones feed my ears much more direct than the 750's, and that's what I like. Most headphones sounds better when you press the cups closer to your ears with your hands, but the AD2000's doesn't benefit from this. They sound as good as they can get. Hmm... The bass isn't quite what I expected, but after listening to them for a long time, my ears adjusted to it. I'm simply too used to the boomy 750's recently. It's a fresh wind in my ears going from the 750's to the AD2000's. Now I REALLY notice the flaws of the 750's. The highs ARE metallic, as I've pointed out before. No one can argue with that, although it's basically an objective-opinion-matter.
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, the AD2000 deliver immensly better sound than the 750's - it's almost unbelieveable. They doesn't sound muddy at all, and when listening to them I feel like I'm inside of the music. This is almost the same feeling that the K81's give me. I've come to realize how good the K81's are. I actually prefer them over the 750's now. Much more direct sound, not that boomy bass, but then again somewhat muted in the highs.

Back to the AD2000's. They really grow on me the more I listen to them. I'm very satisfied. I remember I had this feeling when I bought the A900's as well. I HAVE to borrow them back from my friend and do a comparison. Now let's talk about the low end in the AD2000's, which seems to be a much-talked-about-issue. These are my opinions about it: It doesn't have as much quentity as the 750's nor the K81's. But then again, I think those two have too much bass. The AD2000's really copes beautifully with low notes. I can hear notes instead of just uncontrolled bass. Concidering these phones being open, they blast out massive amounts of bass. However, I think they should be even more impactful in the low end.

Many has talked about these reaching VERY deep in the frequencie-area. I tested this with sound-files of spesific frequencie-areas.

Out of the three phones (AD2000's & 750's & K81's) the 750's reach lowest, followed by the K81's - believe it or not
basshead.gif
Those two does however just BLAST out some kind of bass-sound, while the AD2000's tries to define the sound.

Lastly I would like to once again praise the AD2000's. Brilliant sound. Clear, open, airy, impactful all over the place, lean, distinct and joyful. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.
cool.gif

May 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 33
Congrats! Glad you found the sound which you really prefer.
smily_headphones1.gif

AD2000 is also in my to-get list. Unfortunately its one of the last cuz its quite pricy in europe.

May 4, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 33
Great impressions.
I am actually surprised that you find AD2000 bass satisfactory, as you hated DT880 because they are not quantitatively strong in that department either. From memory, how would you compare two?

Thanks

May 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 33
Andrew, the DT880 and AD2000 isn't very similar at any stage, as far as I can remember. The DT880 is lame, no bass, harsh highs and also reverby sound. The AD2000 brings much more life to tracks, it has the nicest highs I've ever heard, and the bass is low, impactful, but not overwhelming. Perfect
biggrin.gif
Though I would like to hear the SA5000, which is supposed to have a little more quantity of bass than the AD2000... Maybe those are next. But I think Grado will be the next step - cuz I really like the sound to be direct. That's why I LOVE the K81's
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 33
Hey guy,
Nice review, I gained alot from it. I've been eyeballing these very same cans for a while now, since ASRs full review brought them to my attention.

I'm fairly satisfied, but have recently been intrigued by the reports of the bass presentation of the Denons, so I've decided to persue that path.

I must yet try these AD-2000s a little further down the path now I suppose...

Enjoy the tunage with your new ATs
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 is lame, no bass, harsh highs and also reverby sound.

Thanks Alex. A couple more questions on your description:
What does "lame" mean in audiophile terms,
"harsh" - is it too bright, metallic sounding or else,
"reverby" - did you hear some echoes with DT880, in what frequency range?
Thank you

May 4, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 33
Be advised that the reverb effect is quite pronounced on the SA5000, MUCH more so than the DT880 (which is why it can't be my only headphone)...

I'm planning to purchase the AD2000s based on my hope that it will sound like a K701/SA5000 hybrid, combining the strengths of each...

Quote:

Andrew, the DT880 and AD2000 isn't very similar at any stage, as far as I can remember. The DT880 is lame, no bass, harsh highs and also reverby sound. The AD2000 brings much more life to tracks, it has the nicest highs I've ever heard, and the bass is low, impactful, but not overwhelming. Perfect
biggrin.gif
Though I would like to hear the SA5000, which is supposed to have a little more quantity of bass than the AD2000... Maybe those are next. But I think Grado will be the next step - cuz I really like the sound to be direct. That's why I LOVE the K81's
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Alex. A couple more questions on your description:
What does "lame" mean in audiophile terms,
"harsh" - is it too bright, metallic sounding or else,
"reverby" - did you hear some echoes with DT880, in what frequency range?
Thank you

The reason why I call it lame is because it never seemed to get loud enough. I wanted to hear bass, so I turned up the volume some notches. But what then happened, was the highs getting even MORE harsh, to the point where I couldn't bear it - so I had to turn it down again. Also, all types of music played on the DT 880 sounded boring..lifeless..unexciting..lame!!!

Harsh = the highs weren't metallic, no. Not by any means. But they were sharp, edgy and aggressive. Every time someone said the letter "s" in a track, my ears hurt. Hihats were also very sharp and bright. This could be though because of the amplification. I used a Rega Ear.

Reverb en echo is not the same, keep that in mind Andrew. Yeah they were reverby - meaning the music sounded like being played in a hall or something. If I pressed the cups closer to my head, the sound was tremendously changed to less reverby sound.

May 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 33
Great explanation, thanks. Kind of reverbs, sorry echoes
wink.gif
, my impression after comparing W5000 and DT880. They need some meat around bones, hope leather pads fix that.

May 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 33
Good reply Alex, you did a good job trying to describe an unflattering presentation in better audiophile terms which is difficult to do in anyones native language, although I do see Andrews point in trying to draw out the precise language for clarification.

You know, I too had these somewhat same impressions of the Beyers (but with their 990s), and I was amazed at how they responded to my upgrade with a DAC... From having offered them for sale to "keepers" in my newly configured system.....

Hopefully this maybe enlightening to readers in several ways, that I did agree with your Beyer experience and impressions, nearly indentically until my source upgrade....

My Grados similar to the ATs , perhaps due to their efficiency, didn't show any hint to being as lame in my prior configured system and only improved marginally with the upgrade....

FWIW~

May 4, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 33
Nice review Alex, I just picked up a pair of AD2000s a couple of days ago, and I am really enjoying them as well. I am currently comparing them to the HD650s, and deciding which ones to keep. I spent about three hours with them last night, and I am leaning towards the ATHs so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great explanation, thanks. Kind of reverbs, sorry echoes
wink.gif
, my impression after comparing W5000 and DT880. They need some meat around bones, hope leather pads fix that.

Andrew, I don't have the 880s right now, I sold them about 6 months ago, but that echoey, metallicy sound is what I didn't like about them. I think the bass is stronger (from memory) on the AD2000s, but to me, the real difference is what I would call a smoother midrange and highs vs. the 880s. They still maintain that airiness that the 880s do so well.

May 4, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

They doesn't sound muddy at all, and when listening to them I feel like I'm inside of the music.

Heh, that's a great description! Inside the music indeed! 'Tis an awesome feeling isn't it? Glad you're liking them! Team AD2K ftw! The AD2K will be the new FOTM!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back