Review: VSonic GR01 - A Gentleman's TWFK
Apr 21, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #46 of 66

Quote:
     Quote:

There isn't any science to measure that stuff.  Like the presentation of a closed IEM versus an open-air headphone, it just isn't applied or doesn't exist.

Your vents = spacious theory and 4-6kHz resonance angled driver theory is subject to scientific data too.  For example closed CIEM's can sound very spacious, so another "A guess at best".

The FR spikes were a cause for concern in the Sony EX700, but given the green light in the EX600/800/1000.  I think the EX700 has issues around ~1kHz versus the EX600, even though both look dead flat there, so FR has not correlated to my listening impressions, nor user comments, in my experience.

MDR-EX700.gif

Spaciousness is easily determined with a removal and re-emerging of a vent, insertion depth is also a big factor, this is stuff that can be easily tested. Turing a driver at a 90 degree angle and placing it back the regular way just hasn't been done.. Headphones don't need to be involved. 

Every angled driver IEM does exhibit that spike, that's the data (7550, 1000, 6000, EX80, EX310, EX90, 700LP, etc.)....

(the custom example) Yes, that's also a guess at best, you have to tell it how it is. Unless there's was a previous study suggesting it may the case or if it was proven to be outcome of the mechanism, guess at best. 

There was never no green light given, the spikes have been improved in the new Sony line-up but still a concern. Maybe the problem isn't in 1kHz, wouldn't be surprised if something was misinterpreted there, 1k regions are more holistic, the latter spikes may be throwing it off for you. 

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #47 of 66

I think Sony changed / improved the driver material design.

MDR_EX500SL_009.png

The EX700 in some ways sounds closer to the Vsonic R04 to me, than the EX600 or EX1000.

Not to mention the Vsonic GR07 uses Sony's transparent bio-cellulose technology (looks similar to the E888 driver).

Makes me wonder if they used to be, or somehow have utilised, Sony's previous IEM production in China.

A shame both the E888 and EX700 are discontinued now (in part due to Thailand factory flooding perhaps), but at least we have the R04 and GR07.

I still find the EX700 a little better than the EX600 at the end of the day, for example in source transparency.  I think the magnesium alloy may help there, less internal refraction (a.k.a. signature) than the EX600.

May 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #50 of 66
Many thanks to Lljoker for yet again, another great review. 
biggrin.gif

But which pair is more preferable when GR01 stack up against DBA-02 in term of sound quality?

May 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:
Many thanks to Lljoker for yet again, another great review. 
biggrin.gif

But which pair is more preferable when GR01 stack up against DBA-02 in term of sound quality?

Depends on what you're looking for - they are two tunings of the same driver so they won't sound completely different. If you want something forward and crisp and aggressive with the best possible clarity, get the DBA-02. If you prefer a slightly safer, softer sound with a more laid-back presentation - get the GR01.

May 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #52 of 66
Since the sound quality of these two are on par, and the difference is on some presentation of forwardness and laid-back.
It is more clear to me now that my next pair of IEMs will surely be the DBA-02.
Please help giving me one more useful advice, I wonder whether I should choose the DBA-02 or the DBA-02 MK-II ?

May 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:
Since the sound quality of these two are on par, and the difference is on some presentation of forwardness and laid-back.
It is more clear to me now that my next pair of IEMs will surely be the DBA-02.
Please help giving me one more useful advice, I wonder whether I should choose the DBA-02 or the DBA-02 MK-II ?

My review of the DBA-02 mkII in the long IEM thread compares it to the original DBA-02.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #54 of 66
do these have a good deal of sparkle to the highs? like with cymbals and such?

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #55 of 66
Quote:
do these have a good deal of sparkle to the highs? like with cymbals and such?

Unless you're used to something like an ATH-CK10 or Phiaton PS200, these should have plenty. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #56 of 66
Never heard a ck10 or ps200. Ive been using the CKM-500 and they have a good deal or sparkle and air. Hopefully these have just as much in that area.
Quote:

Unless you're used to something like an ATH-CK10 or Phiaton PS200, these should have plenty. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:
Which is better for dance or edm, chill or acoustic, and a little bit of hip hop. The gr07 mkII or the gr01?

Most likely the GR07, although I haven't heard the mkII.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #59 of 66
Damn, im in love with the GR01! These little things are great, so comfy, such spectacular isolation, and a very neutral yet pleasant sound that brings out all the details without being tiring at all. They are just a touch harder to drive than the ckm-500, but im still listening at half to just a notch over half way up on my iPhone 4. The initial excitement of just getting a new IEM is over and i am still loving these things. People that say these lack bass either arent getting a good seal or prefer a boosted bass. These have just the right amount of bass and the bass quality and punch is great. For metal i finally have an earphone that truly keeps up. Id rate them a 9.5, as they fit my sound preference just about perfectly. So far i have no complaints.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:
Damn, im in love with the GR01! These little things are great, so comfy, such spectacular isolation, and a very neutral yet pleasant sound that brings out all the details without being tiring at all. They are just a touch harder to drive than the ckm-500, but im still listening at half to just a notch over half way up on my iPhone 4. The initial excitement of just getting a new IEM is over and i am still loving these things. People that say these lack bass either arent getting a good seal or prefer a boosted bass. These have just the right amount of bass and the bass quality and punch is great. For metal i finally have an earphone that truly keeps up. Id rate them a 9.5, as they fit my sound preference just about perfectly. So far i have no complaints.

Glad you're enjoying them! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back