Review: ViSang R02 [Brainwavz ProAlpha] - Too Good, Too Soon?
May 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:
I prefer the look of the M2's better than the R02's and the build quality does look better on the M2's than it does on the R02's..Am I correct in saying that?  Really I'm in no real hurry to get the M2's from Mp4nation but I couldn't pass them up for less than $50 Canadian shipped and as long as they arrive safely and in working order I will be fine with it.... Thanks for the reply and the R03/M2 and R02 reviews..

Yes, the M2 is better-built, though the R02 housing is time-tested. Congrats on your purchase.

@Wrist-Fi: Thanks for the heads up. Those specs are fairly different from the R02. I don't see  why we would assume that they are the same earphone at this point. We will know for sure soon enough 
wink.gif
. Oh and I really don't like the lack of strain relief on the M1. That little rubber bit that acts a strain relief on the R02 costs what, $0.02 to manufacture?

May 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #17 of 42

Quote:
... Errr. Housing and cable look exactly the same to me. Stats, well, that's a different story altogether: Some specifications such as driver size, rated and maximum input power are the same, other like impedance differ. Still, my question stands: Generic housing or same OEM...

The housings look different to me.

May 11, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepinho /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is that just a generic shell used by different manufacturers or is there one and the same OEM behind all of these IEMs?

In this case both. The housings are very generic but that cable is unique to ViSang AFAIK. VSonic still uses the same housings on several models but they went a different route with their version of the silver cabling - it's not braided and softer/more flexible as a result (see the VSonic R02ProII or R04/R07). 

Quote:
The housings look different to me.

Indeed.

May 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
I prefer the look of the M2's better than the R02's and the build quality does look better on the M2's than it does on the R02's..Am I correct in saying that?  Really I'm in no real hurry to get the M2's from Mp4nation but I couldn't pass them up for less than $50 Canadian shipped and as long as they arrive safely and in working order I will be fine with it.... Thanks for the reply and the R03/M2 and R02 reviews..

Yes, the M2 is better-built, though the R02 housing is time-tested. Congrats on your purchase.

@Wrist-Fi: Thanks for the heads up. Those specs are fairly different from the R02. I don't see  why we would assume that they are the same earphone at this point. We will know for sure soon enough 
wink.gif
. Oh and I really don't like the lack of strain relief on the M1. That little rubber bit that acts a strain relief on the R02 costs what, $0.02 to manufacture?

How much does strain relief affect an IEM? I agree its only would be a few cents or even at most $1 to add it anyways.

May 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:
It looks like Brainwavz M1 from MP4Nation, are they the same? http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491402/introducing-brainwavz-m1-iem-earphones-preorder

Not sure yet (see prev. page of the thread). The housings aren't exactly analogous between the two (M1 is missing all strain relief) and theres a difference in specs. Could just be differing tuning. We'll have to see how they sound.

May 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #23 of 42
Just to clarify for everyone here, the Brainwavz M1's are NOT the Visang R02, the two sound different and the housings are also different, although the M1 look is a derivative of the original R01/R02 look.

May 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190241&f=60#p190241

Confirms its not the R02 but apparently he is going to make the ProAlphas which are the R02.

Thanks for the link. I will have a chance to hear the M1 pretty soon so we'll see what's what. The R02 are already fairly cheap (just over $40 on ebay last I checked) which makes me wonder what the ProAlphas will cost if mp4nation should choose to license them.

Quote:
Just to clarify for everyone here, the Brainwavz M1's are NOT the Visang R02, the two sound different and the housings are also different, although the M1 look is a derivative of the original R01/R02 look.
Thanks, appreciate the confirmation 
smile_phones.gif

May 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #25 of 42
Just thought I'd give an update on this whole R02 vs M1 debacle. After a weekend with the M1 I can definitely say that they are related to the R02/R03 but not nearly identical. The M1 shares some of the traits - natural timbre, speed, tone - of the R02/R03 but the family tree (to my ears) looks something like this:

R03 ---------- R02 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- M1

Meaning that the R02 is much closer to the R03 than the M1 is to either of the two. I won't say anything about the M1 other than that it's a more balanced interpretation of the same signature. Definitely not a matter of better or worse - just personal preference. Review coming soon.

May 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:
Whoah, they resemble the Grado GR8 quite a bit.

If you mean the Grado iGi then yes, they are very similar, albeit fully plastic:

(Left->Right): Brainwavz M2, Cyclone PR1 Pro, ViSang R02, Grado iGi

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 42
1st HF post
beyersmile.png
!

Thanks for the excellent review as always joker. I'm so tempted to get the ViSang R02 now especially when I saw them selling it for HKD$288 (~USD$35). Think I better wait and see what the ProAlphas is gonna like though.

I've read some positive reviews on the ViSang R04 too. While I do not really like its housings which resemble those of the Music Valley SP1 (apparently they can be a pain to wear?), I am interested in the sound it can produce. Ithey cost around USD$110.

(Stole this picture from some Chinese site)

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #30 of 42
Welcome to Head-Fi. Regarding the ProAlphas, it seems to me that mp4nation is steering away from the Alpha/Beta naming scheme with the new M1/M2 models. I don't know that there will be a ProAlpha in the immediate future and personally wouldn't hold my breath (that's not to say that it won't be released eventually). The M1 and R02 are both already amazing value for money and I have no clue where the ProAlpha would slot in both price and performance.

Thanks for the pic of the R04. Very disappointed that they went with the Music Valley casings - I found the SP1 uncomfortable to use for more than two hours although I loved the sound. I would much rather have seen the VSonic R04 housings. Price is steep but if the price/performance ratio of the R02/R03 is retained, they could really be something. 

Quote:

I've read some positive reviews on the ViSang R04 too. While I do not really like its housings which resemble those of the Music Valley SP1 (apparently they can be a pain to wear?), I am interested in the sound it can produce. Ithey cost around USD$110.

(Stole this picture from some Chinese site)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back