Review: Very Best Cheap In-Ear Headphones -- 40 models tested
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kouzelna

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I don't know if this has already been posted, but Lauren Dragen over at The Wirecutter did the dirty work for us to find the cheapest good quality in-ear headphone.

She considered 150 different models of in-ear headphones and earbuds, testing 40 of the best, and then running the top 20 (10 with mic, 10 without) past a pretty sophisticated panel of experts to find the very best cheapy tide-me-over / portable / lend to your kids/friends in-ear headphones.

http://www.tested.com/tech/459019-best-cheap-ear-headphones-today-are-12/

The article rocks to read, and the all-time winner of this slugfest is only $12 at Amazon.  (And comes in 4 spiffy colors!)

Enjoy!

P.S.  I am still using those headphones, a year later.  They're perfect for the PC or on the go when you don't want to cart your expensive gear with you.  I also get the pleasure of having friends test them against their various earbud-type headphones, seeing the look of astonishment on their faces how much better mine are, and then giving them a pair on the spot because they're so cheap.  Fun stuff!  :D

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 26
Nice! Thanks for the link.

I was looking to get a cheap pair of in ear phones for the office or just to have and not worry about breaking them. I just ordered the Panasonics that they recommend from Amazon.

Thanks again!

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 26
Right on!  I'm really quite sad more people haven't taken advantage of this thread and posted.

I wouldn't be here, obviously, if I didn't love high-end amps and headphones, but there are certainly many times I don't want to be walking around with 1k + worth of gear.  At those times, I long for a pair of throwaway headphones that, if not being my high-end cans, at least sound good enough not to be an outright bummer.  Yet, are cheap enough that if something goes wrong, it's no big deal to buy another.

I'm using the Panasonic RP-TCM125-K In-Ear and they just kick butt!  They really sound terrific!  And for $10, hey, I can replace them if they get eaten by a dog or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4LGVUO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use a pair of HTC headphones that I mentioned in another thread, which are truly great sounding!  And Amazon has them for $4!  At that price, I often buy handfuls of them, because every time a friend of mine hears them, they go crazy about how great they are so I just hand them a pair and say "Merry Christmas!"

You can check those out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HL1NIC/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both these headphones have mics as well, which is great because I'm usually using them with my phone when I'm out and about, which makes them handy for calls as well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 26
Ya at my job I kind of have to be a bit low key about my music listening, so I cant really rock my Fischer FA-003tis.

Also I am listening to some podcasts sometimes so I think these Panasonics will be perfect!

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 26
Yeah, well I'm in the same boat.  And I do a lot of hiking in the summer, around rivers and such, and I don't exactly want to dump my ER-4 into the drink or have it ruined in my backpack.  The Panasonics are great for audio books and such, and I use them for that all the time.  You'll enjoy them!  They have very good balance over all and don't emphasize any particular spectrum too much.  They're not perfect, for the price I have no complaints at all.  Best portables I've heard below the M50 price-point.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 26
Hey, glad you like 'em!  I think they're nothing short of amazing too.  And I haven't even tried the other earpads they came with.  Maybe one will fit better than the ones I'm using, which would be even better.  I'm super psyched to have a pair of $10 headphones I can take anywhere and not have to worry about, which also sound amazing.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Very interesting, thanks for the link. I may have to try a pair for fun. I sent the link to a lot of my friends who don't want to spend much on headphones. There is an alternative, of course. What I try to do is wait for special deals on more expensive phones. For example, I got a pair of Sony XBA-1iP (for iPhone) for $24 not too long ago on Amazon (currenly $24.95, originally $99). Another idea is to go to Amazon for more expensive models (say in the $30-60 range) and look in the used section, with the seller being Amazon Warehousedeals, which sells open box specials, completely returnable and mfg warranties. Either way, if buying from Amazon always make sure its sold by them and not a third party.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 26
Ooh very tempting, for £10 it'd almost be rude not to.

Can anyone give a slightly more detailed description of the sound signature? Particularly the mids as I'm pretty picky about having my mids nice and forward

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 26
Yeah, awesome tip!  I do the same, too.  I just recently picked up a pair of AKG Q701 Amazon Warehouse for $150 including shipping.  Nice!  Especially considering the newest K model is still going for $500!  And the K702 for $250.

But for me, it's not about spending less, per say, though that's always essential.  It's that sometimes I don't want to have headphones with me that would be a tragedy to lose.

I always dragged my ER-4P along with me everywhere.  Well, twice I've had issues that caused me to have to send them in for repair.  Both due to using them in less than ideal circumstances.  $50 for the first repair, $120 for the second.  And a three week turnaround time.  Boy does that get old.

Now I just bring cheap but decent sounding headphones with me.  Already lost three pair due to accidents or breakages!  And for between $4 - $10 / pair, hey, no big deal.  I have a stock of them in my drawer, ha ha ha!

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 26
Sure.  Ain't that the truth! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 26
Telltale, really sorry about the one year late reply. I guess I never noticed your post! Sometimes you post things and don't see somebody who ends up with the post above yours later. Strange.

Anyway if you never tried them, I hope you will pick up a pair and give them a try. As to the sound signature the mids are quite clear. The beauty of these headphones is that overall they are very balanced all the way across the spectrum, and sound great. Especially considering the price.

Sure I have loads of pairs that are way better, but for $10 in the US these are flat out fantastic and I don't miss my other headphones too much when I'm on the go and don't want to bring something expensive with me.

Give them a shot and see what you think. A good friend will certainly enjoy them if you don't.

May 25, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 26
I read the same story a few years back.  It's amazing that the $12 Panasonic arestill on the list, granted they have dropped to 3rd place.  I like my RP-TCM125-K.  I think they are still giant killers, especially when combined with Comply T400 foam tips.  I even buy them for my children.  At $15 with Comply tips installed you won't cry when you lose or break them.

A funny thing happened when I last ordered a pair. At the bottom of the page, the Panasonic drops360°LUXE® Premium In-Ear Stereo Headphones RP-HJX20-K MSRP $100 were being promoted at $35, a 65% discount. I had to give them a try.  The bass is godd with slightly clearer mids.  Would I be happy at $100, nah, but for $35 the build quality is tangible.  http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-drops360%C2%B0LUXE%C2%AE-Headphones-RP-HJX20-K-Powerful/dp/B00SMVLKNU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Cheers, Michael

May 25, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 26
Hey mdm08033,

Hey, I feel the same way!  I buy them for everyone, they all love them, and I always have a spare pair in my drawer in case I lose or break one.  (Never broke one yet, but I have lost or burned out a few).  

Where do I get the tips?  Can you send me an Amazon link fast?  I have family coming to visit me for the holidays from the USA, and I could overnight them some in time for them to bring them for me.  Important, I use the larger of the three tips included with the 125-K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back