Review Tour of Triple Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors FiiO F9 PRO in US market is on Right Now!!
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #31 of 159
I'd love to review the FIIO F9 Pro. I'm a gigging musician so they would likely get more than just a technical review. I could possibly use them as IEM's during one of our shows in the near future.

-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess: InEarz Euphoria, Ultimate Ears UE900S, KZ ZST, KZ ZS6, KZ ZS5, Shure SE215, Shure SE 425, Shure SE 535, AKG K701, AKG K240 MKII
-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess: FIIO A3; Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, WiDigital AudioLink Pro
-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted:
Inearz Euphoria: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/inearz-euphoria.22372/
Aurisonics Harmony/Fender FXA7 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aurisonics-harmony.21012/reviews
KZ ZST: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz...-mic-replacement-cable-with-mic.22121/reviews
KZ ZS5: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-zs5.22479/reviews#review-19522
-Your geographical region (e.g. the city of US you live in): Gonzales, Lousiana

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #33 of 159
So far it has been rare thing to see a comment on both the F9 pro and the F9 in the same sentence. There has got to be more people who have heard the former and the latter.

Edit: One post, but it might grow rapidly. Hiwever still no impressions.

I own them both (my purchase, cause I was too curious) and offer to compare them using YOUR song samples (with 320s mp3 or from your Dropbox or alike).
I don't measure, just using my ears... :wink:
This is what I found so far:
F9 are easy to drive with good weight in all areas - a little peaky in 7kHz area (easy to eq out).
F9pro are more transparent but have definitely LESS (upper)bass and lower mids! Sub bass is audible though.
So you need to push bass somehow (depending on your source - and I own x5 iii) which is IMO unfortunately more of concern than just lower one specific area.
But maybe we could discuss this also in the F9 thread or elsewhere - just let me know.
Cheers ChrisBa

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #35 of 159
My review on the F9 Pro is here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-f9-pro-hybrid-triple-driver-iem.22784/reviews#review-19532

For those wanting the frequency comparison between the Pro and the original:

9936116_l.png

Yup - the bass is the same :wink:

9936119_l.jpg

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #36 of 159
Beat me to it @Brooko! Just posted up my review as well on Everyday Listening and The Headphone List. I've also measured the Pro and confirmed with Fiio that the bass driver is identical, but I disagree that the bass sounds the same in the final product! Relative to the Pro's reduced treble peak and wider band treble emphasis, bass sounds more elevated and more linear to my ears. I've included comparisons to some other popular models around this price point but feel free to inquire about comparisons to other models. If you're interested in another perspective, I hope you enjoy the read!

dsc06462.jpg

dsc06483.jpg

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #38 of 159
So knowles makes that much of a difference or is it just this application and tuning?

Likely a bit of both, I'm pretty certain the F9 is using Knowles drivers too, just a different model. The Pro isn't a huge upgrade over the F9, but for me, the original was just over the edge of comfort in treble quantity while the Pro is just right. Really, the Pro is what the F9 should've been!

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 159
Beat me to it @Brooko! Just posted up my review as well on Everyday Listening and The Headphone List. I've also measured the Pro and confirmed with Fiio that the bass driver is identical, but I disagree that the bass sounds the same in the final product! Relative to the Pro's reduced treble peak and wider band treble emphasis, bass sounds more elevated and more linear to my ears. I've included comparisons to some other popular models around this price point but feel free to inquire about comparisons to other models. If you're interested in another perspective, I hope you enjoy the read!
As I’ve shown in the measurements though Ryan, and as FiiO has confirmed to you, there is no change in the bass. What you’re hearing is perception of bass change when in reality it’s simply the relativity of bass to upper-mids and lower treble. So it’s more accurate to say what has really happened and then say that it gives the impression of different bass. Saying the bass is different is clearly incorrect. But perception of it can be.

If you want an interesting exercise, wear the earpiece of F9 with F9 Pro (eg left of one, right of the other) and let yourself adjust for 15 minutes or so. Your perception of different bass will change completely.

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #40 of 159
Well I can totally agree with you @ryanjsoo quoting your nice review:
"By lowering the treble as opposed to boosting the Pro’s bass, the new F9 manages to sound appreciably fuller without compromising nuance, in fact, it’s quite the opposite."

Doing this provided a very similar response in previously odd sounding base, now more like the original F9 - and it still keeps the nice wide and airy soundstage of the Pros!

I only lowered the elevated mid/high parts according to @Brooko's comparison graph.

Many thanks to both of you for the insights

Now I love and use both F9s:
F9 with x5 iii - cause I cannot use EQ with every app and its peak enhances the warm sound of x5 iii nicely without discomfort.
F9 Pro with all other gears where I'm able to decrease the treble around 2-4 and 8kHz which offside sounds a bit mhm ... metallic(?) to my ears.

Having fun now

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #42 of 159
Any friends who would like to attend this review tour ? we are arranging the review units now. Hope you can catch the last "BUS".
I actually have 4 band mates that could try them out and I'll include their reviews with mine. So if you guys want to send me 5 sets, then we could all give our feedback.This would be a test by a rock band and we would be using them for in ear monitoring both for practice and for live shows.

Currently we have a mix of in ears, three of the guys use Shure, one uses Ultimate Ears and I use a custom set. It would be interesting to get everyone's take on things using the same earpiece. But I don't want to seem greedy on the review sets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back