REVIEW: The DNA Sonett Amplifier - A Musical Discovery for the Westone ES3X Custom IEM, versus the HeadAmp Pico DAC/Amp
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #47 of 60
That's not easily possible. The balanced and unbalanced (single ended) output versions use different output transformers. In the balanced version, I connect the secondary winding's center tap to ground for safety; In the single ended version, I connect the negative tap to ground. To make a universal version which changes the taps, grounds, and series trim resistors would require complex switching. I chose to keep the signal path more direct and simply offer 2 versions.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Donald,

Is the 220v transformer now solved to build the 220-240v version? it is poor for us hearing only 12v is available.

Mine is a 220V a.c. version and I remember talking to Donald that the international version will have more flexible tapping to accommodate other 2xxV a.c.

Shame on me to have miss this great review. I brought the Sonett to a local meet last December and many liked it a lot. Unfortunately after the meet I was so overwhelmed by work that the Sonett is back in the box - for a whole 3 months. But I am sure the Sonett is here to stay with me for a long while
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #50 of 60
Thanks for this nice review Seraphim.
So the Sonett seems to be quite a little gem I understand, high end sound at an affordable price.
Has anybody compared this amp directly to similar amps, the ZDT for example?
I am looking forward to read your impressions on pairing this amp with bigger cans. I wonder what cans you have in mind.
Nice tip on the "Smithereens" CD too. I'm gonna order that one straight away.
For now I downloaded it on iTunes (couldn't wait
wink.gif
) and I'm really enjoying it!

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #52 of 60
My initial impression is that the DNA Sonett definitely has a SET-like presentation that some may really like but others may find slightly foreign, especially if they are used to relatively dark-sounding solid state amps.

The Sonett offers an engrossing (yes, "euphonic") midrange and a detailed, textured high end. So far, however, I don't find the bass presentation to be quite as convincing as the mid-range and high end presentation.

But I am still experimenting with ICs and power cords to see how those affect the sound signature of the amp. Any suggestions? I have tried power cords from Shunyata and Audio Arts. My IC's are Gabriel Gold Revelations. The amp is sitting on a Mapleshade Samson audio rack (basically, an extremely solid rack of 2" thick dried maple platforms), so vibration damping has been adequately addressed.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My initial impression is that the DNA Sonett definitely has a SET-like presentation that some may really like but others may find slightly foreign, especially if they are used to relatively dark-sounding solid state amps.

The Sonett offers an engrossing (yes, "euphonic") midrange and a detailed, textured high end. So far, however, I don't find the bass presentation to be quite as convincing as the mid-range and high end presentation.

But I am still experimenting with ICs and power cords to see how those affect the sound signature of the amp. Any suggestions? I have tried power cords from Shunyata and Audio Arts. My IC's are Gabriel Gold Revelations. The amp is sitting on a Mapleshade Samson audio rack (basically, an extremely solid rack of 2" thick dried maple platforms), so vibration damping has been adequately addressed.

I'm using the Harmonic Technology Magic Link II, which I have found to be more neutral than my Cardas Golden Reference IC's. The power cord is the HT AC-10.

While I found the Sonett great out of the box, it improved with 100+ hours. It didn't take me long to swap out the JJ's for NOS, a Mullard 5AR4 and the DR version of the 6H30. Bass definitely firms up with these changes, especially with the 5AR4.

While I think the bass on the Sonett is stellar, tube rectification adds its own sonic characteristics, which I happen to love.
wink_face.gif
(I've gone back and forth over my nearly 40+ years of audiophile journey between SS and tube, and I always end up with tubes. If you're accustomed to SS bass, tubes can sometimes sound slow, and maybe present a bit less slam. My own experience with the Sonett's bass with the Senn's I have tried and IEMs is wonderfully tuneful and taut.

I'm also using the Balanced Power Technologies BP-3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolator, and a Richard Gray 400 Pro. I have no idea what the Sonett sounds like without this level of power conditioning, as I use this combination (sometimes multiples of 400 Pro's) as my power conditioning reference for all my audio equipment.

The Sonett is very transparent, and paring it with different front end sources definitely change the output. At this time, I can only say that the better the source the better the results.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #54 of 60
By the way Minimus, I'm not sure if you've tried your JH16's with the Sonett yet, but another Head-fi'er with the JH13's has indicate that the combination is stunning! Love to hear your thoughts on the 16's and the Sonett!

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #55 of 60
@Seraphim: Thanks for the link, I was just going to call my favorite music store to order the CD. I'll have to download it in Flac and convert to AIFF though, I see most of their albums are Flac only.

@Minimus: Thanks for your opnion on the Sonett too. I do like a somewhat euphonic midrange and of course detail in the high end. As for bass, I like deep bass as long as it remains well controlled and defined. I don't like bass getting muddy or "bloomed".
Has your Sonett already been burned in enough? I ask because you are talking about "initial impressions". Maybe the bass might improve still?

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way Minimus, I'm not sure if you've tried your JH16's with the Sonett yet, but another Head-fi'er with the JH13's has indicate that the combination is stunning! Love to hear your thoughts on the 16's and the Sonett!

JH Audio has charged my credit card, but my JH16s are still "in transit". I suspect the Sonett will shine with the JH16s, because it is such a quiet amp. I will post impressions when I receive them.

I have already swapped out the stock tubes in the Sonett. Mostly, I notice more top-end sparkle with the DR's and a better rectifier tube.

I am definitely using an excellent source with the Sonett...I have been using the Ayon CD-2. I might try swapping in the Perfect Wave DAC+Transport. Both are fantastic sources, each with its own strengths. The PS Audio combo is very accurate and detailed, while the Ayon has excellent dynamics and bass weight. One source will end up in my speaker rig and the other in my headphone rig.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Harmonic Technology PCs. I might try to find one used.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Seraphim: Thanks for the link, I was just going to call my favorite music store to order the CD. I'll have to download it in Flac and convert to AIFF though, I see most of their albums are Flac only.

@Minimus: Thanks for your opnion on the Sonett too. I do like a somewhat euphonic midrange and of course detail in the high end. As for bass, I like deep bass as long as it remains well controlled and defined. I don't like bass getting muddy or "bloomed".
Has your Sonett already been burned in enough? I ask because you are talking about "initial impressions". Maybe the bass might improve still?

Hi AppleheadMay, it sounds like you're on a Mac? If so, I use XLD to. Give it a whirl.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #58 of 60
Hi Seraphim,
Yes, I only have a Mac. I have always been using Max, but I just googled for XLD.
I'll give it a try. Do you find it has any advantages in audio quality over Max?
I am busy ripping all my CD's to a NAS in uncompressed or losless format.
I use a PSAudio Perfectwave Dac and am waiting for the "Bridge" plugin card, kind of a network card that lets the dac read every format straight from an NAS.
So I want to store my files in the highest quality possible and rip them in the best way possible.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Seraphim,
Yes, I only have a Mac. I have always been using Max, but I just googled for XLD.
I'll give it a try. Do you find it has any advantages in audio quality over Max?
I am busy ripping all my CD's to a NAS in uncompressed or losless format.
I use a PSAudio Perfectwave Dac and am waiting for the "Bridge" plugin card, kind of a network card that lets the dac read every format straight from an NAS.
So I want to store my files in the highest quality possible and rip them in the best way possible.

I was looking for the most EAC equivalent product under OS X. XLD is continually being updated (just downloaded the latest this a.m.), whereas MAX, well, got max'd out in 2009.
wink.gif

FLAC is pretty much FLAC, and I haven't bothered to question the SQ of the algorithm. However, I have experienced some differences in players, e.g. iTunes, Vox, Cog, Pure Music and Amarra.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

I was looking for the most EAC equivalent product under OS X. XLD is continually being updated (just downloaded the latest this a.m.), whereas MAX, well, got max'd out in 2009.
wink.gif

Add to that that Max is still in Beta ... I guess it's time to try something new for me. Downloading XLD now.

Quote:

FLAC is pretty much FLAC, and I haven't bothered to question the SQ of the algorithm. However, I have experienced some differences in players, e.g. iTunes, Vox, Cog, Pure Music and Amarra.

At the moment I am still using iTunes and like the program. I need it for my iPhone, iPods, AppleTV and soon iPad anyway.
I won't bother to look from something else for my computer since I will have the PSAudio Bridge added to my Dac in a month or two.
That card will include a player on a chip if I understand it correctly and can be controlled with a Mac app or iPod/iPad app which they will release at the same time. It's a pretty good system to get the max out of your digital library though rather expensive.
They will make their own NAS too with a DVD drive to rip your music.
Their system fully supports Mac as well as Windows.
Here's the link to their website if you're interested. Their forums hold a wealth of information on the full sustem they are developping.
PS Audio - High-Performance Home Audio Equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back