REVIEW: The best headphone/amp combo known to man
Nov 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #76 of 122
The Ultrasone ED9 is somewhat colored yes. Somewhat more colored than the Senn HD 600, but still alot better. The sound is somewhere between Senn HD 600 and AKG K 701.

I wouldnt spend more money on tube gear than this one, but your choice of course. Tubes are lacking and nothinig can be done with it. That is the meaning of this thread.

Want a tube amp? Get this and keep quiet... haha

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #77 of 122

Quote:
Big can: How do you know its not the greatest amp when you keep bringing crap headphones to the seller for a audition? Who are you to say that this amp is not what I say it is, when you admitted yourself you never heard anything else? 

Quote:
My mind keeps wandering back to my listen the other day and how much I liked both the HD650 headphones and the amp together. Tax time is getting close!

Wow. Did you just say the HD650 is a crap headphone?

Quote:
Noone here has heard the amp and still you all keep saying its not the best and cannot compare to the most expensive amps. Its like a childs game. Keep saying things and insist on it til you all believe its true. This is a fantastic amp, and no matter what price amp you get, no designer will overcome the faults of the 6922 tubes.

Hm.

Quote:

You will not get a better amp for the money in the history of man kind, and try a $1500 amp, or more, it wont be better just different

But I really dont care, and I will not discuss with people who keep commenting on gear they have never heard(or anything else). Please, spend your money on $10 000 tube gear, it would really make me happy. Most of people on Head-fi wont even hear any difference at all.

So, you've tried a headphone amp that costs $1500? Which one? And a $10,000 tube amp? My knowledge of top dollar amps is admittedly limited--is there a $10K amp? 
Or are you using a straw man argument here? 

It's an extraordinary claim you have made and continue to make. Such a claim should be backed up by extraordinary proofs; links to the reviews you mentioned (of how the Sunrise beats some top SS amps) would be a start.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #79 of 122
And if you count high end speaker amps with a headphone out - I'd recommend the Accuphase Flagship preamp C-3800 which is around US$20,000. Tried that with the LCD2 and Esoteric K-01 and can never forget.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #80 of 122
I wish cheap amps would be just as good as such expensive amps :) I'll settle for my SS diy amp and V200 :p The V200 seems like a bargain at those prices.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #81 of 122
Lets do a REAL comparison regarding the Sunrise amp:

Rudistor quad mono balanced amplifier:

PS Audio Dac Link III w/Cullen mod stage 4:

MIT balanced interface + MIT power interface:

Nordost coax cable:

This is a multi-thousand $ setup. Solidstate never sounded better than this to my ears, but how does the Sunrise compare to this? Comments later on... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #85 of 122
The Rudistor amp is a pure SS. Its difficult, if not impossible, to compare that with a tube amp. None the less, amplification wise I would say the Sunrise is close to the Rudistor, even with stock PSU. But even though the Sunrise is very very good, it has the limitations of tube, meaning a tad less details/resolution compared to solid state. It is also a little more laid back and spatial presentation and air is a bit less. But the trade here is what you gain in organic sound and musicality. The Rudistor/PS Audio DAC is an extremly sweet combination, but the Rudistor does sound a bit "flatter" and less organic, and less bass. In short, what the Sunrise looses in resolution, clarity and details it gives you back in musicality and realism. These differences is not something that a amp designer will ever be able to solve, it is the limitations/tradeoff of a 60 year old technology: the vacuum tube!

So point still sticks, if you like valve sound, it is good enough to get a Sunrise amp and stick with it for life, it really does stand up to multi $ amp, which shows just how much hype it is around "head-fi". If you dont fancy tubes, then dont get it, but remember, you wont get a much better tube amp for any price, only different. Get a design based on transformers and you feel like you get a "blacker background", but what you get is lower resolution and the added coloration of the transformers.

The general user on this forum will not be able to hear that much difference between the Project Sunrise and the Rudistor even though they have quite different designs. But the limitations of the Project Sunrise vs the Rudistor amp, is the general tube limitations which plague all tube amps, and that limitation exist no matter which tube you use, I tried Reflector, Mullard gold-pin and Siemens 6922(tesla) NOS in this test.

All the best. K

P.S. The Sennheiser HD 600 on this Rudistor/PS Audio setup sounds more amazing than anything before it and it is on par  with the Ultrasone ed 9. The Sennheiser 600/650 are known to scale well, and they really do. With the Rudistor the Senn HD 600 gets the soundstage of the AKG K 701. Bad amping is what has given the Senn HD 600/650 of "closed" and "dark" sounding headphones.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #88 of 122
so are the ultrasone ED 9's really a top 3 headphone in the world?
 thread has me confused a bit.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #89 of 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back