REVIEW: The best headphone/amp combo known to man
Oct 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #48 of 122
I think someone with a good amount of amp experience should buy these and let us know just how good they are so I can formulate my opinion.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #49 of 122

Quote:
I think someone with a good amount of amp experience should buy these and let us know just how good they are so I can formulate my opinion.

That kind of money gets me awfully close to my dream amp - not a tube in sight.

http://www.talisman-audio.com/products/headphone/t33h.html

Pure Gallic magnificence. Bathe in it, plebs. 
cool.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #51 of 122
I found this review from awhile back on here but it does not look like anyone noticed it. When I search on google, I find a ton of reviews and positive info on this amp on other forums. Seems like it is just starting to be found here as I can hardly find any reviews of it besides this one. Does anyone else know of any more? http://www.head-fi.org/t/563447/new-tube-hybrid-amplifier I also saw one in the DIY section where a Lady built one.

One thing I have noticed, anyone that has one does not want to get rid of it. That tells me even with my limited experience that it must be pretty good and those owners seem to have owned an amp or two. I see some more ebay feedback as well, all positive as it is being sold there.

My mind keeps wandering back to my listen the other day and how much I liked both the HD650 headphones and the amp together. Tax time is getting close!

You people should see this amplifier in person. It looks like a small art sculpture. It looks very mechanical like a small machine. Hard to describe but I like the way it looks. You can see the innards which are beautiful on the black circuit board. I see other makes and models hide their circuit boards inside cases and when you see photographs of them, they look bad or cheap. Or some show fancy aluminum cases and insides look like junk. Well some of the higher end amps look very nice.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #53 of 122

Quote:
Aesthetically, the look is not new. It's basically the Indeed/Bravo amp.

The Project Sunrise has also only been around for, say, 3 months? It's still a bit early to tell whether the happy owners are going to stay happy with it in the long term.

I've been here long enough to know that they wont. Or they will simply stop coming to sites like this, and in that case I salute them.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #54 of 122
Haha, the only way I know that forum regulars genuinely like something is when they:
a) Stick around and aren't tempted to sell it off
b) Sell it off, but repeatedly mention how much they regret that decision.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #55 of 122

Quote:
I've been here long enough to know that they wont. Or they will simply stop coming to sites like this, and in that case I salute them.

I bought a Projet Sunrise, and since I use it with my cans (AKG K340, AKG K601, Sony MDR SA5000) I don't use anymore the headphone output of my Audio-GD C2.
I'm honnest with the Project Sunrise, it has superb sound quality but also a few drawbacks you must to deal with:
-with some cans the amp start clipping after 60% (senn HD650, AKG K340), it happens only at high volume but it's noticeable, you must to find the "sweet spot" on the volume pot...
-open frame design means more interference sensitivity
-you must use a source with a REAL LINE OUTPUT (2.5V), with mp3 players or DAP your signal won't be enough powerfull.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #57 of 122

Quote:
^ Forgive my ignorance, but regarding line level output: what voltage does an iPod Classic output, when using a LOD?

I don't know exactly but when i tried the Project Sunrise with both of my mp3 players (Cube C60 and Cowon iAudio U5, i know it's not exactly like an ipod + LOD but it's supposed to be even Louder), even when setting the output at the Maximum Volume, the sound amplified by the Sunrise was too low... On my AKG K601 i must set the volume near the max to have something acceptable... and the sound was messy, noisy, etc...

When connecting the Project Sunrise directly to the RCA outputs of my Audio-GD DAC 19 the sound is loudest, and clean, i can listen to the K601 at acceptable level with Vol Pot of the sunrise set to around 40%.

I don't know how to measure the line output of your LOD, just try to compare it directly with the Line Out of another device like a Desktop DAC or a hifi CD player, you'll notice easily if it's the same level of sound.

IMO the iPod Line Out (even with a LOD) and the Line Out of All portables players is not enough powerfull to provide the 2.5Vrms, it's explained here:
http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/

Quote from Beavis-Hifi :
The bad news is that the Line Out jack on most portable media devices does not solve the output signal level. For example, the above tests showed us that on the Ipod, both the line out jack on the Apple Universal Dock and the Line out cables still put out a miserly signal of around 2 volts. So we still have that problem.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #58 of 122
[size=10pt]Eric_C I said it looked like a sculpture, not that it was a new design. That is like saying "aesthetically, every amp that uses an aluminum front panel is not new" but does not mean they do not look different and better than one over the other. After looking at the amps you named, those amps do not look to be of the same quality at all. I found the original Project Sunrise column in another forum where the amp was originally conceived and it looks like people had the first units back in June so not a long time, but more than double the 3 month quote of being out. [/size]

[size=10pt]This amp also does have a lot more to it than the cheap tube amps on ebay when looking at the features. It also has a 2 year warranty and is made and supported here in the US which is suprising as everything seems to be made in China. On the euro forum I was reading, it was crowned the best budget tube amp by many that owned budget tube amps as well. Several said it was a lot better than their more expensive amps. Do you guys have other recommendations for a tube amp at or near this price range? I am looking for the best budget unit I can get. Here are the ebay listings I found. Looks like a really good deal. I have seen the manual first hand and it is really good. They show examples of the manual on the ebay listing. It was 10-15 pages it seemed and very detailed. For $184 for the kit and $234 for the built amp[/size]
[size=10pt]http://www.ebay.com/itm/260857995073?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649[/size]

[size=10pt]http://www.ebay.com/itm/260857998129?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649[/size]

[size=10pt]Cheaphifi I listened to the sunrise last week on his 650 headphones and some of my headphones at the inventors place and I did not detect any clipping at all even at levels that hurt my ears, and that was out of a sansa fuze and an emu device? How loud are you trying to play your music? I am a novice to headphones but not to audio so I know what clipping sounds like. If your setting your volume at maximum on your sources, that may be why you are hearing clipping as garbage in = garbage out. I read the entire original threads on sunrise from start to finish which covered a lot of pages. I did not find anyone talking about source issues or clipping except for one person that had some really strange volume tests and comments that did not make much sense but it did not come across like he knew audio very well. No one else had those results?[/size]

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #59 of 122

Quote:
[size=10pt]Eric_C I said it looked like a sculpture, not that it was a new design. That is like saying "aesthetically, every amp that uses an aluminum front panel is not new" but does not mean they do not look different and better than one over the other. After looking at the amps you named, those amps do not look to be of the same quality at all. [/size]

That analogy exaggerates my point, which was that the design isn't new, it's very similar to the design of two amps that have already been out on the market. That makes something less noteworthy, aesthetically speaking. Additionally, you're saying the other amps don't look to be of the same (build?) quality on what basis? 

Quote:
[size=10pt]I found the original Project Sunrise column in another forum where the amp was originally conceived and it looks like people had the first units back in June so not a long time, but more than double the 3 month quote of being out.[/size]

First units in June = Start of November - Start of June = 11 - 6 = 5 months
5 months < 2 x 3 months = 6 months

Note that I'm not saying the Project Sunrise is a bad amp; I never said that. Maybe it is great. But OP's statement and his attempts at qualifying it are simply not convincing, and given how prone enthusiasts in this hobby--and this forum in particular--are to hype, especially "giant beater" hype, I am questioning the praise so that people will not rush blindly into a purchase. You can spend your money however you like, but don't begrudge folk like me the right to question--that's how all of us learn anyway.

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #60 of 122

Quote:
Cheaphifi I listened to the sunrise last week on his 650 headphones and some of my headphones at the inventors place and I did not detect any clipping at all even at levels that hurt my ears, and that was out of a sansa fuze and an emu device? How loud are you trying to play your music? I am a novice to headphones but not to audio so I know what clipping sounds like. If your setting your volume at maximum on your sources, that may be why you are hearing clipping as garbage in = garbage out. I read the entire original threads on sunrise from start to finish which covered a lot of pages. I did not find anyone talking about source issues or clipping except for one person that had some really strange volume tests and comments that did not make much sense but it did not come across like he knew audio very well. No one else had those results?

I'm agree with the principle Garbage In = Garbage Out, but my test were with an Audio GD DAC 19, directly from the RCA Line out like any other Headphone Amp, i'm not talking about a small noticeable clipping but of a clearly audible distorting sound, but it only happens at 75% of the Volume Pot. i know that it's too loud to be bearable without being dumb :) But i noticed that on my other Amp (the Audio GD C2) even at 100% of the volume Pot you can't hear any distorting sound...

I don't want to criticize the Sunrise, i said it's a good amp, it sound better than my Audio-GD C2, the Sunrise is not perfect, but IMO at 200$ it's a real Bargain !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back