[REVIEW]: The Aurisonics AS-2 15mm Dynamic Driver 2-Balanced Armature Hybrid Custom-Fit Stage Monitor
May 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #76 of 97
Quote:
It's a funny point, but there is a serious side: 6 or 8 drivers take up a lot of room in an acrylic shell with their crossovers, triple bores, etc. That means that the acrylic shell has to be thinner--which in turn means more issues with cracking, breaking, particularly at the cable socket.

The AS-2 has a thicker shell and should be a lot more sturdy.

Although, you still have to be careful and not go Connie on them...

Wow, "don't go connie on them" now that's a good line... I will tell her next time I talk to her. They concluded filming for the first season today.

Yes all the space around everything is filled solid on our shells except where the air volume is added on the back side of the speaker and any porting or valves are added. It does make them stronger as you pointed out and I saw first hand with Connie putting her shoe into them several times. They do break but it is pretty rare.

May 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #77 of 97
It's a funny point, but there is a serious side: 6 or 8 drivers take up a lot of room in an acrylic shell with their crossovers, triple bores, etc. That means that the acrylic shell has to be thinner--which in turn means more issues with cracking, breaking, particularly at the cable socket.

The AS-2 has a thicker shell and should be a lot more sturdy.

Although, you still have to be careful and not go Connie on them...

Connie ? Please elaborate! :D

May 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #78 of 97
Quote:
Connie ? Please elaborate!
biggrin.gif

Connie Britton the actress that plays Rayna James on the hit TV show Nashville on ABC...

May 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #81 of 97
Quote:
Basically, my purpose at writing what I did was for others to save themselves $400 or $700 if their preferred signature doesn't match what the reviewers say about the AS2 / ASG-2 signature.   If I had demoed  I wouldn't have purchased due to signature compatibility.   I'm sure the AS2 would get a "10" for its signature, that's how much I respect it.

I originally intended to get the ASG-2, but after speaking with Dale about my concerns of them being too bright,( I don't like overly bright IEMS, like the DBA02, GR07 are too bright for me, the RE262 and Sony7750 are just right, along with the 1P2. )   he suggested getting the customs as they are tailored to my ears and they definately aren't too bright for me.    I did try the 1P2 silver cable on them and thought it was too bright plus I heard too much background noise from my amp(Studio V).   Perhaps a gold cable or a silver cable slightly thicker than the current one would help.   Turning the bass port off reduced the bass, but I didn't notice any improvement in their airiness and openness or articulation.   I retract the "bloated bass",the bass is really amazing, accurate, like floor speaker bass, and grounds the signature superbly.   It absolutely doesn't detract from the mids or highs, IMHO.   Perhaps if the  "resistors" on the tweeters were removed the IEM would significantly change more to my signature, but then I'd probably need a gold cable to balance them out.   

Dale, do you think it would be possible to adjust the resistors?

I second the idea that the resistors being removed.

Perhaps Dale could offer that option when upgrade is made available? Imagine Knowles Dual BA + (tamed) ASG dynamic drivers!

May 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #83 of 97
Great comparison Kunlun! I like the balance you give to each custom! I must say I'm excited to upgrade my ASG 1.2!

May 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #84 of 97
Quote:
Great comparison Kunlun! I like the balance you give to each custom! I must say I'm excited to upgrade my ASG 1.2!

Thanks so much. I definitely tried for a balanced comparison. I'm just proofreading it a bit now.

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #85 of 97
Thank you. So would it be a correct assumption to say that if one is able to get a perfect seal with ASG-2 they should get the same amount of performance as the AS-2?

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #86 of 97
Quote:
Thank you. So would it be a correct assumption to say that if one is able to get a perfect seal with ASG-2 they should get the same amount of performance as the AS-2?

You're welcome. The short answer is I'm not sure. You're getting a different sort of seal with a silicone eartip versus acrylic and coated acrylic shell. Also, the distance of the drivers to your ear will vary (as it will between people as each ear is slightly different). But, of course, the drivers and cables, etc. are all the same. I'd say that it should sound fairly close, but I haven't spent enough time with the ASG-2 to confirm it for you.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #87 of 97
Quote:

Longer bore, internal dimensions of everything can either have drastic differences, or small ones.  BAs are especially sensitive to directionality, so a slight modification of the angle in which the driver faces can have some differences.  There are differences between the ASG-2 and AS-2 outside just the seal. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #90 of 97
I have both the AS-2 and the ASG-2 - I hear the ASG-2 nearly the same as the AS-2 though I feel like the G2 has a bit more bass presence with the default settings - valve closed, I believe? My customs have a more comfortable fit though I still seem to get a better seal with the G2 which is odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back