[REVIEW] The ACS T1 - a tear jerker (but in a good way)
Jan 18, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #196 of 235
Well done with your impressions :) Nice from the audiologist to give you the impressions, as he still had to work to produce it. I'll look into Starkey audiologists next time I need impressions. And the guy was honest about the product, that's always a good point in my book.

I'll agree with you partially on the bitrate thing. I've not thrown away all my MP3 or Ogg files just because I switched to customs, partly because I'm away from my CDs. However I don't think it is fair to whatever equipment of high enough quality to test it with that type of file, because you're introducing a variable that isn't needed for the test, and may reduce the possibility for pinpointing of qualities and discrepancies. To me it's a mixed bag, with improvements on some things and emphasis of problems on the other. On the forum, I think it isn't appropriate to give impressions based on these type of files. In a personal use point of view, it is none of my business if you did it or not.

Hmm cables .... One of the great battles of this forum with ABX. I consider myself on the scientific side, but sometimes it's just difficult not to have a doubt about the marketing claims. You know ... the "what if" question. That's why I keep reading scientific threads and why I appreciate so much the efforts of head-fiers like Shigzeo or DFKT with the RMAA tests. We need more of that I think. To quote and translate badly Descartes : "science without awareness is nothing but ruin of the soul"
wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #198 of 235
Hi frenchbat! For sure lossless sources are the right way to go when critically reviewing a product, no doubt for me on that.

On the other hand, listening impressions with compressed music can be interesting as then, in real life, you might need to go that way, for space reasons on a DAP.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #199 of 235
@Shamrock
Nope, I'm going dry all the time. I did try the gel at the beginning, but never had a comfort issue without it. I guess it all depends how tight is your fit. With a very tight fit, it might give you a plus. I'll see after my refit if I need it or not.

@Gorman
To each his own
beerchug.gif
and all is well.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #200 of 235
My impressions have arrived at ACS. I've decided to go with Smoke Grey color and black cable, with gorman printed inside. Now the wait begins... :D

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #201 of 235
i'll be really interested in what you have to say Gorman - I'm an audiologist setting up a musicians hearing clinic down here in Australia and only want to supply the best - I'm leaning towards ACS as my main supplier -I've got ACS t15s and they're great! will be interested to here your (and anybody elses) comparisons

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #202 of 235
I'm satisfied. Their music rendition is, for lack of a better word, effortless.

The material is comfortable beyond my expectations. They should stress more how comfortable it is, in my opinion. And this comes from somebody that was rather happy regarding his UE-10 fit.

The material makes it a little bit more troublesome to insert the two earpieces. The included cream is great in that regard, but even a bit of saliva can help.

I noticed that to get a perfect fit I have to insert them properly, clench my jaw and then push lightly the bottom of the earpiece. After that, they can stay inside for hours without the slightest discomfort.

Another major plus point, in my opinion, is isolation. While it's true that official measurements place them at -26dB, like all other IEMs, I think that the frequencies are attenuated in a different way that through acrylic. The end result is that I can listen to much lower volume than before without being disturbed by outside noise. On the subway or on a train.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #203 of 235
Hi Gorman, I'm about to purchase my T1s in a while. Was wondering how you managed to get the smoke grey color option. I'm getting mine done in australia/New zealand and the color options are really limited around here. Even so, ACS' main UK website also doesn't have that option. Just wondering if you could post a couple of pictures of how yours turned out? Would really appreciate it. Thanks!

And anyone  has any updates on when the detachable cables will be out too?

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #204 of 235
Hi Gorman, I'm about to purchase my T1s in a while. Was wondering how you managed to get the smoke grey color option. I'm getting mine done in australia/New zealand and the color options are really limited around here. Even so, ACS' main UK website also doesn't have that option. Just wondering if you could post a couple of pictures of how yours turned out? Would really appreciate it. Thanks!

And anyone  has any updates on when the detachable cables will be out too?
Here's a quick picture taken with the smartphone of a colleague. I'll try to do better ones with the proper camera, at home:

14azy9u.jpg

You might notice a certain amount of "glitter". It's not bad looking but I wasn't expecting it and I'm pretty sure you can ask them without it.

And about how I managed to get the option... I simply asked for it. Their customer service is quite good. I mean, the manager/owner of the company mailed me two days ago just to ask how I was satisfied with my purchase.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #206 of 235
Here we go:

The small imperfections you might notice toward the insertion point of the cable in the earpiece is lacquer that went away leaving no trace. The cable is strong and perfect.

And I'm actually getting more and more satisfied as days pass. The non fatiguing quality is astonishing. I often need to use the train to get to Florence, from Milan, and back in the same day. I wouldn't dream of doing the trip without the T1s now that I've tried them. A really comfortable listening experience. With the latest Paul Simon record they sound beyond great. :D

May 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #208 of 235
I've been lurking on this thread for ages while deciding which custom IEM to go for. Wallet said T2 and, with a big thumbs up from gadget man himself Mr Stephen Fry, my money was ready. But, with the soon to be announced removable cable version in the pipeline the T1 has started being discounted to the point where I saw them advertised for almost the rrp of the T2. Hmm! I was a little nervous with the retailer being the hearing centre of a well known uk big brand high street store, but I was luckily in that my audiologist had fitted several people for T1s before. He was extremely helpful and the customs were in my hands within 14 days which was a huge surprise!

First impressions, well, the right mould was way shorter that the left. I was worried about the right ear from the start as no in ear standard earpiece every stays in place with the slightest jaw movement, but I persevered and let him check the fitting. Immediately the left felt totally isolated like it was plugged into my brain but the right felt a little wobbly, almost not even in. I was heartbroken! No matter how much I fiddled it wouldn't feel the same as the left. Rubbish!

Then everything changed. The earpiece warmed a little and I could barely feel it contacting my ear, let alone feeling a snug fit, but once the music started I was blown away. I've owned a pair of 600 series Seinheisers for over 10 years, and they're awesome, but these T1s are on another planet. The soundstage is "different" but man can they sing. Started with Norah Jones then followed with some Daft Punk. Then moved to lossless Daft Punk and I've been unable to go back to MP3 since.... Except "some" 320 VBR. Bass output is awesome in the tracks that demand it, but it also does subtly very well too. It took two days to master the quick in and out technique but now it takes only a few seconds. Line up both canal and top piece and gently push while also pulling the back of the ear to straighten the canal. Then twist forward to extract.

I'm sure I don't need to bore everyone with technical details I know nothing about, but these ears feel, well, amazingly warm. I've also given them the wife test and I'm happy to say they passed. Listening at ANY volume in bed and she isn't even aware they are on. What, really? Even now? (as my ears bleed!) Seriously? What about now? (as my brain explodes). Nope, nothing. Now coming from someone who commutes on the train every day who loathes the moment loud ears man advertises his whole music tastes to the carriage while I'm trying to read, this is actually the biggest surprise feature for me. I know I can now listen to what I want without fear of a cricket bat round the head from some irate passenger (such as myself!)

So what else? They can stay in all day without the slightest discomfort which is unheard of for me. You don't even feel them after 5-10 minutes. A windy day? No problem! Guess that's it. Mobile music has never been so good :)

May 29, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #209 of 235
Congrats with your T1s, you'll see that this feeling of comfort never vanishes with time. For everything else, you still have a lot of enjoyment in front of you. I almost envy you :) ! Care to send us some pictures ?

May 30, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #210 of 235

Quote:
I've been lurking on this thread for ages while deciding which custom IEM to go for. Wallet said T2 and, with a big thumbs up from gadget man himself Mr Stephen Fry, my money was ready. But, with the soon to be announced removable cable version in the pipeline the T1 has started being discounted to the point where I saw them advertised for almost the rrp of the T2. Hmm! I was a little nervous with the retailer being the hearing centre of a well known uk big brand high street store, but I was luckily in that my audiologist had fitted several people for T1s before. He was extremely helpful and the customs were in my hands within 14 days which was a huge surprise!

First impressions, well, the right mould was way shorter that the left. I was worried about the right ear from the start as no in ear standard earpiece every stays in place with the slightest jaw movement, but I persevered and let him check the fitting. Immediately the left felt totally isolated like it was plugged into my brain but the right felt a little wobbly, almost not even in. I was heartbroken! No matter how much I fiddled it wouldn't feel the same as the left. Rubbish!

Then everything changed. The earpiece warmed a little and I could barely feel it contacting my ear, let alone feeling a snug fit, but once the music started I was blown away. I've owned a pair of 600 series Seinheisers for over 10 years, and they're awesome, but these T1s are on another planet. The soundstage is "different" but man can they sing. Started with Norah Jones then followed with some Daft Punk. Then moved to lossless Daft Punk and I've been unable to go back to MP3 since.... Except "some" 320 VBR. Bass output is awesome in the tracks that demand it, but it also does subtly very well too. It took two days to master the quick in and out technique but now it takes only a few seconds. Line up both canal and top piece and gently push while also pulling the back of the ear to straighten the canal. Then twist forward to extract.

I'm sure I don't need to bore everyone with technical details I know nothing about, but these ears feel, well, amazingly warm. I've also given them the wife test and I'm happy to say they passed. Listening at ANY volume in bed and she isn't even aware they are on. What, really? Even now? (as my ears bleed!) Seriously? What about now? (as my brain explodes). Nope, nothing. Now coming from someone who commutes on the train every day who loathes the moment loud ears man advertises his whole music tastes to the carriage while I'm trying to read, this is actually the biggest surprise feature for me. I know I can now listen to what I want without fear of a cricket bat round the head from some irate passenger (such as myself!)

So what else? They can stay in all day without the slightest discomfort which is unheard of for me. You don't even feel them after 5-10 minutes. A windy day? No problem! Guess that's it. Mobile music has never been so good
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats and thanks for sharing, you have a bunch of very useful information in your post and I enjoyed the read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back