Review: Telefunken TH-110T Tunable Bass IEM
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Telefunken TH-110T review

I would like to thank topdogheadphones for sending me this sample for review, I will write as honest a review possible.

These received more than 50hrs of burn-in, no noticeable differences were noticed.

Gear used:
IPod classic 160gb (rockboxed) > Telefunken (amp not needed)

Photos by Felix Speller:
www.felixspeller.com
www.flickr.com/felixspeller

Audio Specs

1. Driver Unit: 9mm speaker
  2. Impedence: 16Ohm +/- 15%
  3. Sound pressure level: 98dB +/- 3 dB at 1kHz
  4. Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
  5. Rated Power Input: 20mW
  6. Maximum Input Power: 60mW

Packaging, build quality and accessories:
Packaging is a simple plastic case, from which an insert slides out to reveal the IEM's, in their carry case and the silicone tips. The box has a picture of the IEM on the front and information on the back including specifications.

Build quality is very good, the housings are part metal part plastic, the cable is reinforced and feels very well made, it is twisted but stiffer than westone/custom IEM cables. The jack is L shaped with excellent strain relief, also the y-split is very good, it has no chin slider, and strain relief on the housing is also very good, the bass ports are metal and screw on tightly, and are very easy to install.

Accessory wise we have a nice triangular carry case, semi hard so they won't get damaged, and 2 sorts of single flange tips, S, M and L in both narrow nozzle Sony hybrid clones, and wider nozzle normal tips. No bi or triple flange tips are included, neither a cable clip. 3 different types of bass ports are included, minimum, medium and most, each labled by a white line/dash.

Comfort, isolation, microphonics and driver flex:
I found the best fit with the S Sony hybrid clones, these were designed to be worn with the cable straight down or going behind you ear, as the housing has an odd angle to it I found them best to go over the ear. I did find them quite comfortable after getting a good fit, but the housings are a bit of an odd shape, and they stick quite far out of your ears due to the bass ports which protrude quite a bit.

Isolation is very good once you get a good seal, I was surprised by the isolation as they are semi open design. Good enough for public transport and general use. They are also very secure fitting once inserted properly.

Microphonics are not a problem as the cable is worn over the ear which usually eliminates this problem.

Driver flex is a bit of a problem, as they suffer quite a bit from this, sometimes you have to take them out and reinsert them to get a good seal and sound.

Sound:
In order of bass ports, in descending order from most to least bass.

Most bass:

Lows:  obviously with this port you will get plenty of bass, excellent punch with good extension, the lows are quite tight and well controlled, definition and details are not too great but the fun factor is definitely there, also with rock music bass and kick drums are well separated. The good thing is that the bass does not bleed into the mids a lot.

Mids: Surprisingly they are not drowned out by the big bass, the mids are still behind the bass, but not by far, they also sound very natural, I am impressed by the way they can handle big bass with clean mids. Separation and detail in the mids is very good.

Highs: good extension and good presence, without being bright, with fairly good detail, I do find the highs to be a little grainy, and they don't hold the note for long enough, they decay a little too much, but for this price point, and also design I cannot complain, a lot better than a lot of the competition out there too.

Overall, not as much bass as the hippo VB, but lot better quality in terms of bass not drowning out the mids or highs. I did find these to sound fun and really enjoy the way they combine bass/mids and highs for the price.

Medium bass:

Lows: mid bass hump is not as prominent compared to the other port, extension is equally as good, so the ports affect the mid bass more. This time there is better control as there is less bass, and overall a lot more natural as the bass is not exaggerated too much. I still think the lows to have a slight mid bass boost.

Mids: the mids have come more forward with this port, quality wise it is very similar to the most bass port, but what changes is the presence, which is a good thing as the mids still stay clean and detailed just more upfront.

Highs: also a little more forward, and slightly cleaner than with the most bass port. They still sound grainy and are not particularly well defined, but still present which completes the sound.

Still warm and fun, but better balance and mids are better placed. The mid bass hump is not as prominent which helps them sound more controlled.

Least bass:

Lows: they still retain very good extension, with sub-bass still easily heard, but now the mid bass is controlled, with a more linear bass presentation. Overall I like this for rock as it remains punchy but with better separation whilst retaining the great extension.

Mids: they have come forward and are now the focus point, being in very good balance with the rest of the spectrum. Better detail and articulation, the mids sound very good now.

Highs: same as the medium bass port. The highs are where they change the least with the different ports.

Overall a much more balanced and closer to neutral sound, but still being smooth and easy to listen to. I find this presentation to be the most versatile, and for rock/jazz its excellent, but for pop/EDM I reccomend the medium port.

Soundstage is quite average for an IEM, maybe a little wider than normal but still quite intimate.
Instrument separation depends on the bass port, but with the medium or least ports it is quite good and everything is separated well.
Imaging is good in general, channels don't feel detached, and panning effects are portrayed nicely.

Conclusion, we have a winner, much more controlled with better detail and mids/highs than the Hippo VB, better accessories and case too. Telefunken have stormed the market with some budget offerings, and from hearing this model, I am impressed with the sound and build quality. The bass ports work very well and give you the best of both a bassy sound sig and a more balanced one. Look out for more from Telefunken in the future.

http://www.topdogheadphones.com/

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)

Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)

We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 5
I think this is Telefunken's top dog IEM (pardon the pun), priced close to $100, its good to see that it sounds good and the other model which was reviewed by swimsonny wasn't that good.

Good review too mate, well done

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Nice one sonny, yep these are very good, quite a bit better than Hippo VB but not quite as good as Dunu tai chi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back