Review: TCG T-Box, a new compact portable amp
Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #46 of 58
Odd, when I click on your link I still see the tpa152 listed on their website.

Also, from looking at the TI website, tpa302 seems more geared towards small scale speaker amplification. The tpa152 specifically mentions headphone applications. I don't know why they would switch from one to the other. Maybe they are actually similar enough where it doesn't really matter in this particular circuit, and the resulting sound is close enough. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #47 of 58
about 4/5 down this page, it says

quote:
TI, HIFI level by the United States large current professionalaudio chip TDA302
      asdriving engine,low-frequency sound fieldexpansion dive deep + special
      compensation to make up the majority of less than headphones, sound more perfect.

Before I wrote him, it still was tpa152, I checked.

Texas Instruments states for tpa302 

Quote:
Description
The TPA302 is a stereo audio power amplifier capable of delivering 250 mW of continuous average power into an 8-
Omega.gif
 loads, the TPA302 delivers 60 mW of continuous average power at less than 0.06% THD+N. The amplifier features a shutdown function for power-sensitive applications as well as internal thermal and short-circuit protection. The amplifier is available in an 8-pin SOIC (D) package that reduces board space and facilitates automated assembly.

Features

300-mW Stereo Output
PC Power Supply Compatibility 5-V and
3.3-V Specified Operation
Shutdown Control
Internal Midrail Generation
Thermal and Short-Circuit Protection
Surface-Mount Packaging
Functional Equivalent of the LM4880

while for tpa152 it is

Quote:
Description

The TPA152 is a stereo audio power amplifier capable of less than 0.1% THD+N at 1 kHz when delivering 75 mW per channel into a 32-
Omega.gif
 loads, the THD+N performance is better than 0.005% at 1 kHz, and less than 0.01% across the audio band of 20 to 20 kHz.

The TPA152 is ideal for use as an output buffer for the audio CODEC in PC systems. It is also excellent for use where a high-performance head phone/line-out amplifier is needed. Depop circuitry is integrated to reduce transients during power up, power down, and mute mode.

Amplifier gain is externally configured by means of two resistors per input channel and does not require external compensation for settings of 1 to 10. The TPA152 is packaged in the 8-pin SOIC (D) package that reduces board space and facilitates automated assembly.

[size=1em] Features[/size]

High-Fidelity Line-Out/HP Driver
75-mW Stereo Output
PC Power Supply Compatible
Pop Reduction Circuitry
Internal Mid-Rail Generation
Thermal and Short-Circuit Protection
Surface-Mount Packaging
Pin Compatible With TPA302

I would have liked the tpa152 driving my t-box, rather then this tpa302.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #48 of 58
You are correct, I just missed it earlier. But right below that it still shows the picture of the tpa152 which is what I had been looking at. 

The main thing for me is that on the TI website under "Parametrics" for each chip, the 302 says "headphone channels: none" while the 152 says "headphone channels: stereo". Also from what you posted above they talk about the 302 with an 8 ohm load, and the 152 with an 32 ohm load. To me, that indicates that the 302 is meant for speakers and the 152 meant for headphones. Obviously there must be some reason why they switched, and the 302 actually costs more, so who knows?

As long as it sounds good to you I wouldn't bother messing with it. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #49 of 58
How much maximum voltage gain does this amplifier have?

It is interesting to me the the datasheets for the
TPA302 show the two channels have different characteristics ..
output 2 has significantly more distortion.  The TPA152 datsheet
may just not have that level of detail.  It could be a result
of the ability to drive the lower load resistance to hit 8 ohms drive.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #50 of 58
I just finished soldering smd :) (my first time).

I replaced the TPA302 with a TPA152 found here.

Results are, right away, spectacular.  Widening of the soundstage, crisper highs, fuller deeper lows.  I can also hear a lot more detail then with the 302.  For me, the 10 Euros I spent were worth it.  I can only imagine how much better it will get after 100 or so hours.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #51 of 58

Quote:
I just finished soldering smd :) (my first time).

I replaced the TPA302 with a TPA152 found here.

Results are, right away, spectacular.  Widening of the soundstage, crisper highs, fuller deeper lows.  I can also hear a lot more detail then with the 302.  For me, the 10 Euros I spent were worth it.  I can only imagine how much better it will get after 100 or so hours.

That's interesting. Glad you are enjoying it. I wonder why they made the change? Maybe they got a good deal on a batch of the TPA302 or something, and figured it wouldn't be a noticeable difference. Obviously that is not the case though. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #52 of 58
Looks awesome. I've been researching, looking for a cheap amp to drive some re262's which I planned on getting as soon as I get my paycheck. I was looking at things like the E11 or D-Zero, but I just hate the way that type of design looks. Then I stumbled upon this little guy. I just really hope that I can get one with a tpa152, as it sounds like it is significantly better than the 302. TCG's website still lists the 152 in the specs, but I emailed wsz about it so we'll see...

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #53 of 58
So from what I could make out there are only tpa302 versions available now. That's too bad. The idea of a headphone amp with a chip designed for speakers inside really bugs me. 
confused.gif

EDIT: After having mentioned concerns about the chip, wangshuzeng emailed me and told me that they have started manufacturing them with tpa152's again and they'll be available to order on Monday.

May 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #54 of 58
i_djoel2000, thanks for the link. I decided to take the (small) leap of faith and just ordered this Chinese portable amp. The photos look like solid build quality as do the parts described. The specs look even better as far as listed power and it has two output jacks, which I like. I'll post what I think after I get the unit. I just ordered the Audeze LCD-2's so will be using those. Also just ordered the Matrix desk amp based entirely on Project86's praises. (thanks P86 for your great reviews, and it appears your opinions and tastes are similar to mine.). I'll try AB'ing these two amps and discuss that as well.

Up until now I've not been seriously into headphones but have been updating stereo systems for many years. But with so much quality digital music available and so portable, it just seems like a new dimension to music listening is exploding and I've got get in on it.

One concern: Saw on eBay that USPS has just stopped allowing shipment of lithium ion batteries from outside U.S. They say UPS and FedEx still allow these items. The amp is supposed to ship USPS and I've contacted the seller asking about it and whether he will ship alternative carrier. Anyone else have recent experience with this USPS rule? Also hope my free shipment is honored.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #55 of 58
If any of you are looking for the TCG T-Box with the TPA152 amp, I found a Chinese distributor selling them for $99.99USD with free shipping.

I'm buying some DIY cable connectors from them, but based on yet another great and reasonable review by project86, I'm thinking of picking this little box up for work.  Now, if only they'd do a mini DAC/AMP... :)
http://sonaraudioshop.com/en/Products/NEW-Mini-Portable-TCG-T-Box-headamp-compact-portable-amp-product_347.html

They also have 3 other TCG amps.  The only differences I can immediately tell are that they use AC power (they say they have a battery charger, but I can't find any info on batteries), one of them uses the AD847 (I think this is their top model? TCG T1+ Pro), and the other two use the TI NE5534.
http://sonaraudioshop.com/en/Products/MINI-HEADPHONE-AMP-list_50.html

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #56 of 58
Hey great review!

I just found out that there is a local reseller of this amp here in Singapore, so I browsed and found this thread. Anyway, I found 2 models of this amp, the T box and T box+. What are the differences btn the two?

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:
Hey great review!

I just found out that there is a local reseller of this amp here in Singapore, so I browsed and found this thread. Anyway, I found 2 models of this amp, the T box and T box+. What are the differences btn the two?

It looks like $10 extra and several color choices. I don't notice any other differences, but there couldn't be some tweaks to the inside or something. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #58 of 58
Hi guys,
I just bought this amp here in Tokyo with a pair of new ath es700 and was wondering I put it to charging but the status LED at the back is off, will it go on when the charging is ready?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back