Review Tago Studio T3-01
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 124
Has anyone else tried this headphone?

Is there anywhere in the US that sells this?

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #17 of 124
Can anyone expand on impressions of these please? In particular:

1. What's the overall timbre - linear? warm? balanced? analytical?
2. How's the tech performance - imaging? separation? detail?
3. Comparison to other headphones in the same/close price bracket?

Thanks kindly.

Nov 14, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 124
Can anyone expand on impressions of these please? In particular:

1. What's the overall timbre - linear? warm? balanced? analytical?
2. How's the tech performance - imaging? separation? detail?
3. Comparison to other headphones in the same/close price bracket?

Thanks kindly.
I'm afraid I'm not good at describing sound. They are as closed to a closed HD6xx (more bass than my HD600 so probably more like HD650) as possible. From Aeon 2 Closed (boring and not transparent), Focal Celestee (all closed Focals sound somewhat hollow to me), Audeze LCD2 Closed (bright highs, huge clamp force) I like (subjective opinion) T3-01 the most. I only wish there was more space for ears - the pads are similar to Shure 1440 or similar ones - shallow with small hole. Also someone deserves to be hanged for the cable as it is as microphonic as possible. They are absolutely worth their original price in Japan, but looking at your gear I'm not sure you would appreciate them.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 124
I'm afraid I'm not good at describing sound. They are as closed to a closed HD6xx (more bass than my HD600 so probably more like HD650) as possible. From Aeon 2 Closed (boring and not transparent), Focal Celestee (all closed Focals sound somewhat hollow to me), Audeze LCD2 Closed (bright highs, huge clamp force) I like (subjective opinion) T3-01 the most. I only wish there was more space for ears - the pads are similar to Shure 1440 or similar ones - shallow with small hole. Also someone deserves to be hanged for the cable as it is as microphonic as possible. They are absolutely worth their original price in Japan, but looking at your gear I'm not sure you would appreciate them.
Would you happen to know the 3.5mm pinouts on the cable?

Does it work with hifiman or sonys?

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #20 of 124
Thanks for this. I have a pair on order and look forward to hearing them later this week.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 124
Thanks for this. I have a pair on order and look forward to hearing them later this week.
Anticipating your review :)

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 124
I agree, Tago reminds me of the HD6XX. But better, more detail.
Tago definitely isn't analytical, not bright.

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #24 of 124
the cable as it is as microphonic as possible
yes it is.
I remember the Dutch Tago reseller here at www.headphoneauditions.nl mentioned something about new Tago cables coming.
I was looking for a decent 4.4 cable, but for sure didn't want to go for the original, noisy cable. I decided to simply solder a 4.4 plug to my Hifiman cable....

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 124
I just changed the pads to Brainwavz Oval Suede and that did the trick comfortwise - now my ears don't touch anything, because Brainwavz are a bit thicker (about 1cm more). I think Tago with Brainwavz Oval might be the most comfortable HP I ever had. Apart from comfort it also changes the sound a bit and I can't say if it's for better or worse. The sound is not so upront now and it generally widens a bit. I'm planning to try Sheepskin (Brainwavz are generally harder to get in EU), which I hope will help with the sound isolation. It doesn't seem to me the Suedes would decrease the bass (that much).

For cable I chose the Meze 99 standart cable, which should fit and even comes with a mic (for gaming purposes), but I haven't ordered it yet. Thanks marc020, I did not know Hifiman now uses 2x3.5mm jacks. I will look into it...

Last but not least I applied parametric EQ. Unfortunately there's no AutoEq profile for Tago, so I tried HD600 (not so transparent) and HD650 (more transparent, but too bright). I haven't realized until now I should try other profiles for the HD6xx family=/ I ended taking the lower frequencies EQ from HD650 profile and higher from HD600 one. I don't think it's perfect, but I dont have time to fiddle with it now.

The increase of transparency with these two changes is enormous=) I still don't think that considering technical capabilities Tago is on par with HP like Celestee, but god it sounds great to my ears=))

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #26 of 124
Just got a pair. Too early to say on sound impressions, as my sense is that the need time to open up.

But first impressions on comfort: pads are really not ideal. Can anyone recommend a replacement pair with a larger opening but retain the signature tuning?

I'm also not wild on the material on the inner headband.

The rest of the build is very nice and sturdy.

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #27 of 124
Look at Dekoni pads for Shure SRH Series. They might fit and they do have a larger hole. As the thickness is about the same, they shouldn't change the sound.

I agree it's strange to see a mesh on the inner side of a headband. Leather would be a more logical choice. But apart from potential maintenance issues I don't see that a problem.

Nov 18, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #28 of 124
Look at Dekoni pads for Shure SRH Series. They might fit and they do have a larger hole. As the thickness is about the same, they shouldn't change the sound.

I agree it's strange to see a mesh on the inner side of a headband. Leather would be a more logical choice. But apart from potential maintenance issues I don't see that a problem.
Thanks, will look into the Dekoni pads.

Yes, mesh, indeed - reminds me of the inner material on a pair of sweatpants (tracksuit trousers) from childhood. They should have retained the material on the upper side of the headband.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 124
Just got a pair. Too early to say on sound impressions, as my sense is that the need time to open up.

But first impressions on comfort: pads are really not ideal. Can anyone recommend a replacement pair with a larger opening but retain the signature tuning?

I'm also not wild on the material on the inner headband.

The rest of the build is very nice and sturdy.
Any update on the Tagos?

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back