Review: Swan M200MKIII (UPDATED impressions)
Dec 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #46 of 56
great, thanks.. because right now Im itching to upgrade to higher end dac so dont know if it will make much of a difference. Are the wireworld ICs more warmish, dynamic type ICs? Im looking for ICs that will go well my tube buffer as well, Trying to achieve a mellow and smoothness in the sound. Have you tried any silver ICs?

Quote:
The W4S DAC-2 does pair up well with the Swans or my headphone amps.  Nothing but love for the DAC-2.  Plenty of detail and great soundstage with no hint of fatigue or harshness.  I have noticed improvements with better ICs connecting the DAC to my headphone amps.  I live in any apartment so I don't listen to the Swans at loud levels.  The WireWorld ICs are less bright than my Blue Jeans ICs so some top-end harshness does not exist with the WireWorlds.  However, for the money, Blue Jeans ICs are hard to beat.  The Swans also sound pretty good hooked up to something like a iPhone or portable player.  

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #47 of 56
Oh yeah WNBC, I have another question. Do you have your better/stronger ICs connecting from DAC to LYR or from LYR to Swans? any noticeable difference of where you connect the better ICs through? very curious because i never have 2 sets of the same rca cables thats why.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #48 of 56
The WireWorld are not warm, their main goal is to remain neutral and faithful to your music, no coloration.  They sound good with my Lyr or V200 headphone amps.  Haven't tried silver yet.  I think the goal of good ICs is to get out of the way and allow your other equipment to have more influence on tone.  The WireWorld just sound natural to me.  

Quote:
great, thanks.. because right now Im itching to upgrade to higher end dac so dont know if it will make much of a difference. Are the wireworld ICs more warmish, dynamic type ICs? Im looking for ICs that will go well my tube buffer as well, Trying to achieve a mellow and smoothness in the sound. Have you tried any silver ICs?

My WireWorld ICs are only 0.5 meter which runs a little over $100 and that's about what I want to spend.  I have my headphone amp right next to the DAC so the distance isn't an issue.  The Blue Jeans Cables are less expensive so I can afford to get longer ICs and that's what I use with the Swans.  I haven't hooked the WireWorld's up to the Swans because I can't physically get them that close to my DAC.  I don't know if putting the DAC in between two speakers is a good thing to do and that's what I'd have to do unless I bought a longer cable.  

In the end, don't get too caught up with the cables.  Spend money on solid equipment and the cables are tweaks that can be done later on.  The DAC-2 is the highest-end I've heard so I can't tell you if a $5000 DAC sounds better than mine.  With higher end DACs one may get other benefits like better USB implementation, multiple inputs/outputs, etc.  All I can say is that my system is dynamic and smooth, no harshness, no fatigue.  If you don't want to buy new equipment then maybe try the WireWorld Equinox 6 to see if you like the results.  They do require some burn-in period as did the Swans.

Quote:
Oh yeah WNBC, I have another question. Do you have your better/stronger ICs connecting from DAC to LYR or from LYR to Swans? any noticeable difference of where you connect the better ICs through? very curious because i never have 2 sets of the same rca cables thats why.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #49 of 56
okay, thanks for the help WNBC, i'll definitely look into it.

Quote:
The WireWorld are not warm, their main goal is to remain neutral and faithful to your music, no coloration.  They sound good with my Lyr or V200 headphone amps.  Haven't tried silver yet.  I think the goal of good ICs is to get out of the way and allow your other equipment to have more influence on tone.  The WireWorld just sound natural to me.  

My WireWorld ICs are only 0.5 meter which runs a little over $100 and that's about what I want to spend.  I have my headphone amp right next to the DAC so the distance isn't an issue.  The Blue Jeans Cables are less expensive so I can afford to get longer ICs and that's what I use with the Swans.  I haven't hooked the WireWorld's up to the Swans because I can't physically get them that close to my DAC.  I don't know if putting the DAC in between two speakers is a good thing to do and that's what I'd have to do unless I bought a longer cable.  

In the end, don't get too caught up with the cables.  Spend money on solid equipment and the cables are tweaks that can be done later on.  The DAC-2 is the highest-end I've heard so I can't tell you if a $5000 DAC sounds better than mine.  With higher end DACs one may get other benefits like better USB implementation, multiple inputs/outputs, etc.  All I can say is that my system is dynamic and smooth, no harshness, no fatigue.  If you don't want to buy new equipment then maybe try the WireWorld Equinox 6 to see if you like the results.  They do require some burn-in period as did the Swans.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #53 of 56
Has anyone run a tube buffer into these? If so, how do they sound? Was thinking about advising my friend to buy these + iFi Micro iTube2 for his (new) budget system he wants to build.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #54 of 56
I've owned the Swan M200mkIII for some time now. I use them at my PC. Im using an Aune X1S+XP1 as my DAC. I ran them for a long time straight from the DAC and they sounded as good as I've ever heard for the price. I used to own a pair of B&W 705's powered by an Emotiva XPA-2 (300wrms each). I was running those with an Emotiva USP-1 preamp. The room had acoustic treatments and I also ran it with a 300wrms sub. It sounded great. I ended up selling all of that setup when I had a kid and missed my connection with the audiophile in me. So i started getting into headphones, amps, dacs, etc. Starting with cheaper gear and working my way up the upgrade chain (I'm still going). But what I didn't expect was when I took a shot in the dark on a Z reviews recommended product and ordered these. They sounded fantastic from the get go, But once I had them broken in with 80-100 hours they really became musical and so effortless. These sound better than the 705's and everything else I own audio wise. I stand by that! Watching bluerays on these is like being drawn into the movie. The same thing happens no matter what your listening to. They sound so freaking good it just doesn't make sense for the price. They scale well with better dacs and amps/preamp outs. I recently plugged them to passthrough the back of my X7S and liquid spark. I still don't understand how they sound better being passed through a headphone amp, but cranking the volume knob on the headphone amps really makes them sing. Every single person that has a listen is blown away at the sound quality. I can't recommend these enough for PC use. Ok rant over. I love them. If your on the fence between anything else and these. Just buy these. You will not be dissapointed. Just make sure to break them in.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #55 of 56
Bringing up an old thread...
I bought my M200mkiii at least 5 years ago. They were so big and I was moving around a lot that they just say in my box until about 6 months ago. Finally have a DAC to go with it and man, these sound great. A great natural sound. Everyone complains on forums that these don't have enough bass but man sometimes the rumble I get blows me away. Can't recommend these enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back