[Review] Superlux HD661, Superlux Did It Again!
Mar 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #31 of 52
It is quite agressive and forward like grado. But grado is more airy due to its openness. 661 tends to be treble happy, like othe superlux headphones. But it is great for rock nevertheless. Bot have great SQ, but you should know your priorities isolation and portability wise. You just cant ignore these factors when choosing an HP

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #32 of 52
Going to listen to the HD661's today.

My question is: how do you mod them and what can one expect from the mod? More bass? But how is it done? Can you please provide a clear/detailed explanation and preferably with pics? That would be much appreciated.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #33 of 52
Just received my long awaited pair of these badboys and I have to say I'm SORELY disappointed. The clamping force and stupid "wings" are astronomically uncomfortable. I wear about a 7 /34 - 8 sized fitted hat and these do not fit my head. I'm really bummed. 
I did extensive research here on head-fi and elsewhere before dropping the hammer, but no where did I read how incredibly uncomfortable these are. This was my upgrade from Sennheiser HD201s and I gotta say, the 201s are a 10/10 on the comfort scale for me and these 661s or barely a 3 at best. 
The wings press down way too much on the top of my head. I feel like someones fingers are pressing into my skull and it's giving me a headache. And the clamp force laterally is actually giving me a neck ache. 
The sound quality is everything it's cracked up to be and I eagerly await the sound after some burn in, but I honestly don't know if I'll get that far. I wont be able to keep them on my head that long. 
Whereas the 201s could be, and were worn, for 8+ hours a day, these 661 have to come off every 30 min or so. 
I'm really disappointed. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 52
Oh yeah they clamp tight. They improve with time and some people stretch them by pulling the drivers away from one another which bends the metal or simply find something large enough to stretch them like a ball and leave then on there for a while. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #35 of 52
Going to listen to the HD661's today.

My question is: how do you mod them and what can one expect from the mod? More bass? But how is it done? Can you please provide a clear/detailed explanation and preferably with pics? That would be much appreciated.
I don't see much modding potential for these in all honesty, then again I'm not great with modding work.

Just received my long awaited pair of these badboys and I have to say I'm SORELY disappointed. The clamping force and stupid "wings" are astronomically uncomfortable. I wear about a 7 /34 - 8 sized fitted hat and these do not fit my head. I'm really bummed. 
I did extensive research here on head-fi and elsewhere before dropping the hammer, but no where did I read how incredibly uncomfortable these are. This was my upgrade from Sennheiser HD201s and I gotta say, the 201s are a 10/10 on the comfort scale for me and these 661s or barely a 3 at best. 
The wings press down way too much on the top of my head. I feel like someones fingers are pressing into my skull and it's giving me a headache. And the clamp force laterally is actually giving me a neck ache. 
The sound quality is everything it's cracked up to be and I eagerly await the sound after some burn in, but I honestly don't know if I'll get that far. I wont be able to keep them on my head that long. 
Whereas the 201s could be, and were worn, for 8+ hours a day, these 661 have to come off every 30 min or so. 
I'm really disappointed. 

The comfort definitely is lacking, the wing design should be scrapped by Superlux in favor of something more comfortable. One instance of this hurting Superlux is the Samson SR850 and the Superlux HD668b, they are the same headphone but the comfort is much better on the Samson SR850 due to the headband design.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #37 of 52
I got my pair of Superlux HD661 yesterday. So this is how I feel:

Value for money:
YES !

Sound:
Above average for the $50 price range.
Good mids and highs ( aggresive, forward, clear, sharp, crisp )....bass is decent...prefer more sub-bass (for the effect) ...good for trebles & vocals etc. They are somewhat 'bright'.
But nothing that EQ-ing can't solve. The only thing I find missing is the ability to blend you in. Maybe its called soundstage / 3D ... this pair of cans gives you the distance. It separates you from the sound. Nothing bad, but for my taste, i prefer to be part of it...to be included in the ambience of the music / movie environment. 

Comfort:
This one is a bummer! Not yet...but it may eventually when their self adjusting band is tuned to your head size. My ambience is hot, so...i sweat and my ears hurt after a while.

EQ Settings:
So far this works for me..somewhere along these lines...still adjusting...

Original FR Graph:

Anyone with any tips on how to further kill it with this cans, please do share :) 

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #38 of 52
What do you guys think about the Superlux HD661 vs. Sennheiser PX-100 II and PX-200 II?
I have the HD661 and I love it. But then I tested the PX-100 II of a friend and was really impressed, but I couldn't A-B the phones since I don't have my HD661 with me.
Seeing the price is both under $100, which do you thing is better? The HD661 or the PX-100 or the PX-200?

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:
What do you guys think about the Superlux HD661 vs. Sennheiser PX-100 II and PX-200 II?
I have the HD661 and I love it. But then I tested the PX-100 II of a friend and was really impressed, but I couldn't A-B the phones since I don't have my HD661 with me.
Seeing the price is both under $100, which do you thing is better? The HD661 or the PX-100 or the PX-200?

I'll be reviewing the HD661 in my next shootout, which will be all mid-sized cans. I just posted a roundup of 16 different phones that all all compact and supra-aural:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

The PX-100 II was the winner of that. Some people love them, some do not. But I will certainly reference them in my next review. For what it's worth, the PX=100 II are very comfortable!

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #41 of 52
Looking around there are two more velour options, Pearstone and Shure 940 pads. I want to increase the distance between the ear and the driver so the question is which ones are thicker?

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

I'll be reviewing the HD661 in my next shootout, which will be all mid-sized cans. I just posted a roundup of 16 different phones that all all compact and supra-aural:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

The PX-100 II was the winner of that. Some people love them, some do not. But I will certainly reference them in my next review. For what it's worth, the PX=100 II are very comfortable!

I'll be eagerly waiting on your next round up!

Sent from my Nexus 4 pimped with ParanoidAndroid and Franco.kernel

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 52
Hey guys, how do the 661 compares to the ATH-M50? I have the 661 and thinking of upgrading my gears. Will the M50 worth the money coming from the superlux or should I aim higher? I'm more of the bang-for-the-buck type of person.

Sent from my Nexus 4 pimped with ParanoidAndroid and Franco.kernel

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #45 of 52
Isnt the motorhead Ironfist these exact headphones but rebranded? They have all the same characteristics with comfort. Tight clamping etc But sound great, best sound quality for the money ive come accross IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back