REVIEW Summary/Index: 22 Solid State Home Headphone Amps
Mar 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #47 of 57
i wish someone that knows as much as skylab could listen to the cullen gcha(not ps audio). of course i use them with the ps1k so i guess my hearing is flawed anyways. i just say that because i take it few people here like the ps1k anymore. i have higher end headphones and amps but thats the one i use most. it stays on 24/7 so it is always ready to go and it's on my nightstand. that is a rare amp i have only seen 3 other people here that have it. i feed it with a da924 which is ten times the price of the amp! the newer one made in china and now discontinued has balanced inputs. i'd much rather have the american built cullen. which btw, is also no longer available. i am guessing skylab would not like it though. it is the epitome of solid state sound. paired with the ps1k i figure a lot of people would be overwhelmed. i am not going to explain it here but let's just say it is "laboratory grade".

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #48 of 57
If you love it, that's all that's important!

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #49 of 57
thanks, i have recently tried not to be so concerned with what other people think. i don't really need conformation that something i like is good. like you said, if i love it that is all that matters! i used to be so concerned with what other people think but lately that has waned. i also have discovered that sometimes things that are not exceptionally expensive perform very well.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #50 of 57
Reading the b22 review, I find it pretty hilarious that you'd prefer any singlepower over it.  That's like prefering the es-1 (srx!) over the t2.  The beta22 is measurably one of, if not the most perfect non-electrostatic headphone amp.  Unless of course, you're looking for color...  I mean, it's not a world beater?  That's laughable.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #51 of 57

Quote:
Reading the b22 review, I find it pretty hilarious that you'd prefer any singlepower over it.  That's like prefering the es-1 (srx!) over the t2.  The beta22 is measurably one of, if not the most perfect non-electrostatic headphone amp.  Unless of course, you're looking for color...  I mean, it's not a world beater?  That's laughable.

Your rather rude demeanor aside, while Singlepower ended up an epic fail of a company, their amps were outstanding sounding, as MANY people will attest.  Be as much as a b22 enthusiast as you want, your opinion does not make it the best amp in the world.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #53 of 57
Skylab,
  Thank you for the great resource!  Looking through your reviews it seems that the Audio-gd C-2C ($300) shines as the best inexpensive balanced amp.  I just emailed Audio gd to find out if it is still available.  If it is not, can you recommend an alternative for a balanced, solid state, amp for around $300?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #54 of 57
     Quote:
Skylab,
  Thank you for the great resource!  Looking through your reviews it seems that the Audio-gd C-2C ($300) shines as the best inexpensive balanced amp.  I just emailed Audio gd to find out if it is still available.  If it is not, can you recommend an alternative for a balanced, solid state, amp for around $300?

Thanks!

Hi Skylab,
  I heard back from Audio gd, the C-2C has been discontinued, replaced by the C-2.2 ($365), which is not a balanced amp.

Would you have any recommendations for an inexpensive (less than $500) balanced solid state amp?

Thanks! 

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #55 of 57
I really don't, unfortunately.  All of the inexpensive balanced amps I know have been discontinued.  Your best bet might be to buy one used.

But do you already have headphones terminated for balanced use?  If not, there is no magic to balanced termination, and you should look into amps that are not balanced.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #56 of 57
     Quote:
I really don't, unfortunately.  All of the inexpensive balanced amps I know have been discontinued.  Your best bet might be to buy one used.

But do you already have headphones terminated for balanced use?  If not, there is no magic to balanced termination, and you should look into amps that are not balanced.

Thanks Skylab,
  I have not cabled my HD650 for balanced.  What would be your top three solid state home amps for less than $500?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back