REVIEW Summary/Index: 22 Solid State Home Headphone Amps
Jan 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #31 of 57
For Value per dollar, the C-2-C is excellent, absolutely yes.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #32 of 57
Mr. Skylab Sir .... LOL

If you will answer this one question, you will make my journey through Headfi.org worth the time I've invested :

Of all of these SS amps you reviewed, which sub $1500 amp would you choose and reccomend most for playback of fast and dynamic Metal, such as Megadeth and likes thereof ???
Please, please answer this .... ( Kind of sound like Keith Sweat with the begging now ).
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #33 of 57
Well...I'm not sure you can get a Beta 22 for that - so I would say the Blue Circle Audio SBH.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...I'm not sure you can get a Beta 22 for that - so I would say the Blue Circle Audio SBH.

Skylab ... You are my hero ... LOL

Seriously, thanks for that. I guess I could get an SBH, literally build a nice exotic wood case for it, and buy a nice volume knob to replace the plastic one .... Hmmm, would be custom and beautiful
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #35 of 57
...yeah, and full of cheap op-amps that the designer is too embarassed to disclose. If one goes pop you are stuffed 'cos you don't know what to replace it with. You then have no option but to return it to Blue Circle. Tied into them for life. Their efforts seem very much like DIY at a premium $.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #36 of 57
Just out of curiosity - have you ever owned a Blue Circle amp? I bought the SBH - and it sounded excellent. The engineering focus is on the power supply - and many believe that is where it should be. Nothing DIY about the SBH. The "Hat Peed Thingy" does have a DIY feel for sure - that amp was a little tougher for me to accept ergonomically.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Just out of curiosity - have you ever owned a Blue Circle amp?

No. The last time I picked one up I cut my hand on it, so I think that may have coloured my view... I might well be subconsciously biased by that incident.

Quote:

I bought the SBH - and it sounded excellent.

If it safe, reliable and performs to your liking then a genuine "good for you". If you are comfy with the purchase then the opinions of others are just the opinions of others. I hope that you enjoy your ownership.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #38 of 57
Skylab,

I believe I have a good idea : Why don't you try and review a Rudistor NX-03 and add it to your SS amp reviews ?

That way, the haters and the cult followers won't really matter as much for once. Just a pure un-biased review would help those of us curious to know where these amps REALLY stand, because we will never ever really be able to know any other way, unless we buy one, and some of us do not have risky, investment income like that.

Will you touch this one with a ten ft pole ???
confused_face_2.gif
LOL

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

I believe I have a good idea : Why don't you try and review a Rudistor NX-03 and add it to your SS amp reviews ?

That way, the haters and the cult followers won't really matter as much for once. Just a pure un-biased review would help those of us curious to know where these amps REALLY stand, because we will never ever really be able to know any other way, unless we buy one, and some of us do not have risky, investment income like that.

Will you touch this one with a ten ft pole ???
confused_face_2.gif
LOL

I would be happy to review one - if Rudistor wants to loan me one.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #41 of 57
Hey I'm here, not as I was before but still alive and kicking...

I answered Josh already, this was reviewed indirectly already. The NX-03 is half of the NX-33 which is the balanced version, that was reviewed by 6moons, and the NX-02 sistema (which is the same circuitry with some minor changes in the PSU and some parts change due availability) was reviewed by Audio Affordable magazine...I send him both reviews in PDF...several headfiers still have NX-02 in their hands, it was widely sold by Ultrasone (not me), he can ask them about it...Another trusty member that has another NX02, IIRC, besides my friend above, is Jimmy the moderator (jpelg)...

Guys the main problem with reviews is that later on we have to sell the amp in question as B stock or demo, so every time we review an amp we ended paying for its review very well (not to the reviewer of course, but to the lucky one, that will get it after the review, and in some cases the value decreases up to 50% of its price. We do not sell them never as new later, just ethics, nothing else).
If the amp is new in the market as the case of the two portables, it is worthy, just to introduce the new product in the market, but in the case of second iterations of the same amp, sorry guys but it is not...

I will let Rudi know, but for now we are not interested, the NX-03 was also exposed in the FL meeting two of them, it was the price in the raffle and one headfier got it.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #42 of 57
I understand that completely. Makes sense, actually.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #44 of 57
Hey SkyLab, I'll be bringing my Roc to CanJam, perhaps we could compare the Pheonix/Roc side by side?

Of course I'll bring my X-CanV8P and PHENIX G3. And also about 10 different balanced headphones.

Oh and I enjoyed all those reviews, though you'll be intrigued to know the Roc is not at all dark sounding.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #45 of 57
Sure! I will bring the Phoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back