Review: SPL Auditor
Mar 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #47 of 221
Hi,

I have briefly heard the amp at Music Direct and it sounded like a pure solid state version of the X-CANV8P. It had a hint of warmth but still had that solid state sound. It was really good with lower impedance gear and fairly nice with high impedance gear, but I didn't find the amp to be superior to the X-CANV8P at all. It was more a new flavor than an evolution. It's more transparent sounding but IMO it's not much better than the old model.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #48 of 221
As I own both the SPL Auditor and the Violectric HPA V200 I feel like I should chime in with my impressions of them both for a bit. Given that both are solid state amps that cost about the same I was surprised by how different they actually sound. The difference between them is pretty much as has been described by many already so the V200 has a bit more bass, but is noticeably less transparent than the Auditor.

I have the HD 800, T1 and LCD-2 and to me it feels more like you pick whichever of the amps based on the sound you want because both sound very good. They just have a different style to them. With the T1 Auditor wins hands down, for the HD 800 I can't decide which I like most and for the LCD-2 I have no idea yet as I haven't compared them in so long I can't actually remember what it sounded like with the Auditor. This might not be much to go on, but it's all I got now!

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #49 of 221
Nailed it my friend!

I have both amps as well and do love them a ton. I prefer the Auditor for my high impedance stuff, but the V200 is glorious with my low impedance gear.

The sound is so smooth with the V200 and it really does imitate a tube sound signature quite well. Smooth, bassy, and intimate. I like it!

The Auditor is the opposite: Neutral, ultra transparent, and clinical (at times).

Quote:
As I own both the SPL Auditor and the Violectric HPA V200 I feel like I should chime in with my impressions of them both for a bit. Given that both are solid state amps that cost about the same I was surprised by how different they actually sound. The difference between them is pretty much as has been described by many already so the V200 has a bit more bass, but is noticeably less transparent than the Auditor.

I have the HD 800, T1 and LCD-2 and to me it feels more like you pick whichever of the amps based on the sound you want because both sound very good. They just have a different style to them. With the T1 Auditor wins hands down, for the HD 800 I can't decide which I like most and for the LCD-2 I have no idea yet as I haven't compared them in so long I can't actually remember what it sounded like with the Auditor. This might not be much to go on, but it's all I got now!

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #50 of 221
For the past few days I've been doing most of my listening with the Auditor and HD 800 and there's no doubt that the Auditor creates the biggest and most holographic soundstage of the two amps. Pretty much from the first second you start listening with it after listening to the V200 it sounds like everything has been pushed a bit away from you. Like when switching DAC the amps affect the entire character of the sound so the difference is clearly audible on all tracks no matter how they were recorded.

I wish I had the ability to compare it with some other amps because I'm curious to just how well it stacks up against other popular high end alternatives. But as it is now with my limited experience of "only" having heard the V200 and Auditor I feel both are great, but if you have the HD 800 and is after the largest soundstage possible then the Auditor is worth a look. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #51 of 221
Hello,
I am new to this hobby. I just purchased my first headphones (D7000). Believe it or not I became interested after listening to a pair of Beats at the local best buy and started researching the subject. Anyways, I was wondering what Amp and Dac you would recommend for D7000s. My source would be my computer. I will be playing mostly Classics, Soft Rock and some Electronic music (FLAC files). My budget is around $2000 for both the Amp and the Dac. Spending some time in this forum I realized that the D7000 are not the best choice for classical music. Oh well, I still like them. I am sure I will be buying more HPs ( HD-800, T1, LCD3....etc) down the line, with respect to that My first choice is Violectric V200/V800. I would appreciate any comment, help or suggestions. Thank You

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #52 of 221

Quote:
Hello,
I am new to this hobby. I just purchased my first headphones (D7000). Believe it or not I became interested after listening to a pair of Beats at the local best buy and started researching the subject. Anyways, I was wondering what Amp and Dac you would recommend for D7000s. My source would be my computer. I will be playing mostly Classics, Soft Rock and some Electronic music (FLAC files). My budget is around $2000 for both the Amp and the Dac. Spending some time in this forum I realized that the D7000 are not the best choice for classical music. Oh well, I still like them. I am sure I will be buying more HPs ( HD-800, T1, LCD3....etc) down the line, with respect to that My first choice is Violectric V200/V800. I would appreciate any comment, help or suggestions. Thank You

For your taste, the Burson Audi HA-160DS or D, would be a great combination especially for the music you are listening to. I am getting one tomorrow, and I got a D7000 also so I'll update you on that. I was also looking at the Violectric, it's a good hybrid for low and high impedance headphones and you should consider them definitely.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #53 of 221
I have never had the opportunity to listen to the D7000, but I still have my D5000 that I've owned for several years now. The Violectric V200/V800 combo seems like a great choice as the V200 is well suited for low ohm headphones like the D7000. It sounds very good with my D5000 which I still bring out now and then when I want to add a little extra oomph to the deep bass in the game or music I'm listening to.

Quote:
Hello,

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #54 of 221
I'd even toss the V90 in the pot to think about. It's about half the price of the V200 and sounds darned good. Even the V100 is a stable option.

The D7000 needs lots of current, low output impedance, and high damping factor to tame and control that bass. All Violectric amps are high current and have good damping factors, especially the V200 which has a DF of 800. A high damping factor and low output impedance is best for the ehadphones, since the amp can driver the D700's low impedance load better. That's my experience anyways.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #55 of 221
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. I was about to purchase the V200/V800 yesterday, and then I read Project86's review on V800. Sounds like I wont be able to stream 24/192khz from my imac to V800 ( via usb). Does this mean I need a USB to SPDIF converter ( like the U2 from Anedio) so I can feed it to Coaxial input of the V800 that accepts the 24/192. Any other suggestions for feeding 24/192 from computer to V800? one more question :) what do you think about the Anedio D2 Dac ( i mean I have to spend on some sort of converter on top on V800 to stream 24/192 from mac and that would make up for the price diff between V800 and D2 dac. And then there is the Question about if V200 is a good match with Anedio D2 dac? Thank you for your time.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #56 of 221
Hi,

The USB is limited to 24/96khz, but the difference between 96khz and 192khz in terms of sound quality is nothing. If you use foobar200, you can have the audio be resampled by the play to 96khz and then send it to the V800.

You could use a converter but them you can compromise the sound a bit. I have the Audio-GD Digital Interface and it does a good job, but smooths the sound out a tad more than I would like. As such I reverted back to the internal USB input of the V800.

For the D2 DAC I am not sure, I have not heard one before.

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. I was about to purchase the V200/V800 yesterday, and then I read Project86's review on V800. Sounds like I wont be able to stream 24/192khz from my imac to V800 ( via usb). Does this mean I need a USB to SPDIF converter ( like the U2 from Anedio) so I can feed it to Coaxial input of the V800 that accepts the 24/192. Any other suggestions for feeding 24/192 from computer to V800? one more question :) what do you think about the Anedio D2 Dac ( i mean I have to spend on some sort of converter on top on V800 to stream 24/192 from mac and that would make up for the price diff between V800 and D2 dac. And then there is the Question about if V200 is a good match with Anedio D2 dac? Thank you for your time.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #57 of 221
I've been listening to the Auditor with the LCD-2 r2 all evening and honestly I think I might prefer how they sound with the Auditor compared to the V200. Like with the HD 800 there's a clear change in the character of the sound like it has been pushed away from your ears. With the V200 it sounds a bit mashed together in a flat space close to your ears while the Auditor makes it sounds like separate layers outside the head. It's very similar to how the sound changes when comparing the two amps with the HD 800, except that the LCD-2 feel like they need the extra airiness more than the HD 800 do. I guess I'm fated to end up with a stack of amplifiers alongside the huge pile of headphones I've already got on the shelf.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #58 of 221
As any one compared SPL auditor to Audio GD C2 / C2.1 / C2.2 ? , when i read "The SPL trumps the ROC in almost every way." Seams like it will trumps even more my little C2.1 
biggrin.gif
but if some one as compared Auditor to C2 family ... 
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #59 of 221
I haven't heard any Audio GD amps, but looking at the specs the C 2.2 delivers 3000MW at 40 ohms and 200MW at 600 ohms, so the Auditor would at first glance seem much better suited for high ohm headphones than the C 2.2. Specs only tell a tiny bit of the story, but that's something at least.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #60 of 221
C2.1 is less powerfull than new C2.2

62 ohm: 1000MW
100 ohm: 1000MW
300ohm : 330MW
600 ohm: 165MW

C2.1 for me is a great AMP never been disapointed with it, better than my previous m-stage , i think that C2.1 is quite neutral sounding , but Auditor from what i read (Zombie_X and others) seams dead neutral , for me that sound great , i am more tending to neutral/analytical sounding , and if Auditor can bring my T1 to a new level it would be great.

C2.1 is already sold peraphs a mistake , but i don't think to be disapointed with Auditor , will ordering this week end from Thomann and should get it to my Home in about , hum one week . 

At least auditor can't be worst than C2.1 
tongue.gif
... I guess .

Edit : Auditor Ordered 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back