Review: SPL Auditor
Mar 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #32 of 221
I would think that the Auditor wouldn't have any issues driving it at all. It's a powerful amp and can probably give it more than enough juice.

Quote:
so you think HD700 will works well with this amp,,,

which only have 150 ohms

i am planning to get that headphone too

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #34 of 221
I would think they would not work well. They require current, which the Auditor does not output enough of. There might even be impedance issues because of the 9Ohm output impedance of the amp. That impedance is quite high.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 221
I see, and I agree with you, but in the end it all depends on the sound. I think the Violectric V200 would be suited for both low and high, it would be interesting to see a comparison of the Auditor and the V200.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #36 of 221
Treebug, it takes long enough to surf this place without someone quoting an entire review with pictures to add a one sentence comment. Next time, please just comment. Thanks!

Zombie_X, excellent and very useful review. One small question/point: With an output impedance of 9 Ohms, the Auditor should be ideal for 36 Ohm headphones and above, not just 72 Ohms+...?

Again, fine work. This sounds like a great combo with my DT880/600s or with the T1.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #37 of 221
Well you should go by the output impedance and multiply it by 8, so 72Ohm's sound about right. This is to help remove impedance mismatching. It's true that lower impedance gear does sound iffy on the amp, but not at all that bad. I like the way my SRH-440 sounds on it.

And if you're interested I have a Beyerdynamic T70 on the way here from another head-fier to try out.

Quote:
Zombie_X, excellent and very useful review. One small question/point: With an output impedance of 9 Ohms, the Auditor should be ideal for 36 Ohm headphones and above, not just 72 Ohms+...?

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #40 of 221

Quote:
Thanks my friend :wink:

I would say it should sound excellent with the HD800, as it's high impedance and this amp is made for. With the ATH-W3000, I am not sure. It's fairly low impedance so it should, by theory, not do well. 

I would say for both, maybe the Violectric V200 would be a better option. Though I don't know if you want a warm sounding amp.

I have heard the Senn 800s with the Phonitor and was not all that impressed.  Then again, most times I have heard the 800s with ss amps I have not been impressed.  The amp that did make the 800s sound good to me was the Eddie Current Zana Deux.  Perhaps the Beyers 600 ohm cans would be more a match for the Auditor and Phonitor. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #41 of 221
I guess I am easily impressed since I am highly impressed with the Phonitor and HD800 combination using my Lavry DA10 dac.  It might be due to my preference in music.

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #42 of 221

Quote:
I guess I am easily impressed since I am highly impressed with the Phonitor and HD800 combination using my Lavry DA10 dac.  It might be due to my preference in music.

That might be a nice combo.  I used to own the Lavry DA10 and it is kind of like a tube dac in a sense.  Rich low end and smooth highs.  Might synergize well with the Phonitor and 800.

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #44 of 221
awesome review! guess this amp is better than i thought

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #45 of 221
So, how long before you get one? 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
awesome review! guess this amp is better than i thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back