Review | SoundMAGIC E10
Jul 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #91 of 110
I now have SHE 3590, XKDUN CK-700 and E10's...

Sansa Clip + rockboxed with the Fiio E6..

I listen to highest quality I can find, 320k VBR...FLAC and some WMA..

From Metal to Electronic thru to Beastie Boys, Clapton, Buddy guy, Faith no More,
Cake and so on...

I find I have to bump up Rockbox's treble and Mids on the E10's to get the sound I want, despite what I have said in earlier posts...

I use no EQ on the Fiio...
Once the settings are done though...

Which tips are you using? Have you tried the double flanges?

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #92 of 110
I have been using the mediums...from the CK-700
Briefly tried the Bi flanges, when I first got them, but did not like the feel...not "in" enough feeling.

I have trouble getting as good a fit in the left as I do in the right....or so it seems to me...
I tried all the mediums I had....they were all pretty much the same...

After seeing your post..I got out the Bi flanges..

Inserted them with the ear pull technique..though..where is the bass gone...the seal is no good...

Pushed them in and twisted them a bit more....felt them sort of lock in...
added the Fiio EQ 2nd mode....

Persto...I had bass mids treble....mids are still a bit out, but I will tweak the RB parametric EQ later...
Thanks for your advice Muzeick...

Comply TX-400 coming any day now....they will be great im sure...

Edit..addressing my cant get a fit the same a right ear...the left actually is ( when i feel the casings) in further than the right by around 3 - 5mm

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #93 of 110
I have been using the mediums...from the CK-700
Briefly tried the Bi flanges, when I first got them, but did not like the feel...not "in" enough feeling.

I have trouble getting as good a fit in the left as I do in the right....or so it seems to me...
I tried all the mediums I had....they were all pretty much the same...

After seeing your post..I got out the Bi flanges..

Inserted them with the ear pull technique..though..where is the bass gone...the seal is no good...

Pushed them in and twisted them a bit more....felt them sort of lock in...

added the Fiio EQ 2nd mode....

Persto...I had bass mids treble....mids are still a bit out, but I will tweak the RB parametric EQ later...
Thanks for your advice Muzeick...

Comply TX-400 coming any day now....they will be great im sure...

Edit..addressing my cant get a fit the same a right ear...the left actually is ( when i feel the casings) in further than the right by around 3 - 5mm

Fit is such an important thing with iems, you are right. I wonder how many people never really hear their music as well as they should, simply because they are not using the right tips for them?

At least Soundmagic bundle a big variety of tips for y to try with the E10 - very generous of them.

As for you own setup - is there a reason you are using the Fiio E6? I have one myself, but lately I don't bother with it, and just use an app on my Galaxy S3 to give me a bit more volume. Does the E6 help with the Clips output? Also, why are you using the second EQ option on eh E6? Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get a grasp on how you are listening.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #94 of 110
With rockbox and the preamp settings I use both lower the volume..the E6 gives me the ability to increase the volume and maintain SQ...and avoid clipping..

After using the Bi flange for 30 mins they are too uncomfortable and I cant get them to sit nicely.
Went back to medium singles and no EQ on E6...

The reason I went to 2nd option on E6 was Bi flanges seem to increase the distance from driver to drum, and lowering the bass for me...when i held them in there they sounded great...so to compensate i used EQ 2 on E6 which increases the bass freqs slightly.

But have switched back for comfort and SQ reasons..

Hoping Comply's with eradicate this issue for me...will they change the mids highs?

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #95 of 110
If you can somehow get access to a pair of hifiman re-400s, the little double flange tips that come with them are actually even better with the E10 than any of the stock Soundmagic tips. Ironically, these Hifiman rips sound rubbish on the re-400s themselves (this being a massively overhyped iem if you ask me).

On the E10s though, they just excel.

As for Comply, let me know how you get on. I have never liked foam tips on iems but haven't tried with the E10 so would interested to see what you think.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #96 of 110
will do that mate

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #97 of 110
Putting comply tips on muffle the sound quite a bit. The e10s are already a bassy pair of iems (to me) so the comply tips didnt help the sound. It did really help the fit though since I didn't like any of the stock silicone tips. So I did the reverse mod to the comply tips (cut the excess foam off the front of the tip and put it on backwards).

The result is that it just muffles the sound just a little bit and makes the bass more smooth and not as boomy.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #98 of 110
Reverse Mod huh...

If I cant get the sound sig I want with EQ I may consider this...

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #99 of 110
Oh dear...
I know this is an old thread, but I wanna moan..:wink:
Just bought these after reading all the reviews and where oh where is the"rich satisfying sound" because it doesn't live here. :frowning2: :frowning2:
I was listening to a pair of Vsonic GR02BE and wanted something a bit smoother. These are..hmm, crap? Very low volume comparatively, low treble, OK mids, thuddy expressionless bass. Tried all sorts of tips, nothing helps.
Back to the Vsonic beauties and have to sell these and eat the loss. Honestly can't see what others hear in these unless mine are Duff. #sigh.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #101 of 110
@Intensecure - I use wide bore silicone tips (not sure from which earphones I sourced them) that works fantastically well. Overall, to my ears, they produce a very balanced sound with a slight bit of warm tilt.

Thanks for replying. I've tried quality clear silicon which sound `amazing` on my Vsonicgr02, hybrids, even those that came with. Nothing raises the quality. The low volume baffles me - I need to dial my DAP up a full 15% higher than for my Vsonic or Zircons to get the same level. Tone is OK, volume not.
My wife blind tested all 3, put the Vsonic way first, then the Zircons (?!) And finally, "flat and lifeless" the E10s. I've checked, they are genuine. I just find it hard to believe they should be this quiet../Baffled.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #102 of 110
Thanks for replying. I've tried quality clear silicon which sound `amazing` on my Vsonicgr02, hybrids, even those that came with. Nothing raises the quality. The low volume baffles me - I need to dial my DAP up a full 15% higher than for my Vsonic or Zircons to get the same level. Tone is OK, volume not.
My wife blind tested all 3, put the Vsonic way first, then the Zircons (?!) And finally, "flat and lifeless" the E10s. I've checked, they are genuine. I just find it hard to believe they should be this quiet../Baffled.

Even I am baffled by the inefficiency that you have experienced with E10.

Right now, using my 4 years old laptop as the source with system volume set at 10 (out of 100) on foobar2000 (with WASAPI as output), E10 is sounding loud enough for my liking (agree that loudness is a very subjective one). Listening to Alan Walker's Faded (Lost Stories Remix), E10 sounds pretty clean and expansive (sounding as balanced as I have ever experienced with them before). BTW, I wasn' clear with my earlier post I am using a wide bore double flange silicone tips (I am guessing it came with Havi B3 Pro 1) on these, for my ears.

About these sounding flat, I kinda agree that these do not have a WOW factor or emphasis of any specific frequency (there maybe an ever so slight hump on midbass). This could be the reason for them to sound flat (or balanced as I perceive it).

TBH, I like the sound of E10 (I like my phones with a bit of warmth) more so than Havi (which to my audio preference/gear doesn't appear to be a right match).

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #103 of 110
Even I am baffled by the inefficiency that you have experienced with E10

I appreciate your taking the time to try and help.
I think either they are not perfect, they're tuneful but so low volumed, or my GR02BE really are the bees knees and I'm too accustomed to their high energy sound. Only my wife's blind testing makes me ponder? :frowning2:
I've decided it's not worth the hassle, so trying to sell them on to someone who likes the sound. Eat my loss and move on. Disappointing, because I had high hopes. Not rushing into buying anything else unless I can test it first. Either this pair is duff, or I have been spoiled by my Vsonic. If you ever get to try a pair, you "almost certainly :wink:" would enjoy them.
Cheers!

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #104 of 110
I appreciate your taking the time to try and help.
I think either they are not perfect, they're tuneful but so low volumed, or my GR02BE really are the bees knees and I'm too accustomed to their high energy sound. Only my wife's blind testing makes me ponder?
frown.gif

I've decided it's not worth the hassle, so trying to sell them on to someone who likes the sound. Eat my loss and move on. Disappointing, because I had high hopes. Not rushing into buying anything else unless I can test it first. Either this pair is duff, or I have been spoiled by my Vsonic. If you ever get to try a pair, you "almost certainly
wink.gif
" would enjoy them.
Cheers!

That's a bummer!

Thanks for the tips on Vsonics, they have been on my radar for a very long time (never took the plunge to buy one, though). If and when the price on VSD5 comes down, will try to snatch one 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #105 of 110
I love my E10 very much, fellow Head-fier recommended them to me for being close to PX100-II signature. I especially like soundstage, my RE400 doesn't quite have this wide soundstage, I aswell prefer signature of E10 over RE400. How many hours approx E10 requires burn-in and what improvements it actually brings to sound? I'm maybe somewhere between 20 - 30 hours right now, but have been loving the sound right from the start. Incredible value for 33€!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back