[Review] Sleek Audio SA1 - aluminium and rosewood = the new peas and carrots
Feb 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shigzeo

The Hiss King
What a steal - at 80$, they are well-worth it, but Amazon have them going for around 50$ now - unbelievable. If that was the only thing I wrote, I would still call it a strong recommendation. Sleek have outdone not only themselves, but the market with this creation. It isn't perfect, but at its price point (which Sleek are working hard to hit), it is amazing.

Original Review - Sleek Audio SA1 earphone in review - aluminium and rosewood = the new peas and carrots

Build
Firstly, the SA1 is well built*. See that *? That means I have some issues. Firstly though, the body is a freakin' bullet. Strong in rosewood and turned aluminium, it isn't about to break. And, the VQ system, enabled by screwing in a different coloured port, is much better than the SA6's plastic-popping system. The phone portion is very solid.

Moving down the line, the cable is... not bad, but not very good. First, its good points are: it is less prone to crystallise than the prior SA6/CT6 model and despite its wispy shape, is quite strong. And, Sleek's connector is of higher quality than UE and Sennheiser - at least when regarding universal earphones.

That said, the cable is a downgrade. It is thin, has half-arsed stress relief, and not only the plug, the earphone connector portion, too, sticks out at odd, dangerous angles. The cable isn't well protected and I foresee some problems down the road.

Fit
Sleek have never been as comfortable as Westone, but the SA1 isn't bad at all. It is tiny and plugs up the ear easily without fuss. The ear pieces are soft in dual flanges, or hard in single flange, but both work well, isolate well, and have minimal impact on the sound. That said, you can really change the sound quite a bit - not as much as Monster's Turbine Pro, but add a dense foam, and the bass belts out (respectively).

No issues really, but the cable's odd angles make things, interesting, at times.

Sound
The SA1 does everything well, and sound is no exception, but... I don't think it is the best sounding 80$ earphone on the market. Rather, it is the earphone with the most potential and best research at that price point currently.

It has a strong low end, but nothing huge. Mids are smooth an high sparkle, but don't offer too much energy. Balanced is a pretty good word to use here. That is good. Vocals, percussion and certain strings are right on! in my estimation, but that is somewhat personal.

What the SA1 doesn't do as well is: separation. In mids and highs it isn't as pronounced because they have a goodly amount of energy and dynamics which cover over a lot of stuff. Bass however, is less textured and detailed as some other earphones and is the main reason I say the SA1 isn't the best sounding 80$ earphone.

Overall, it does so many things right and is only really tripped up by a less than stellar cable and fender/bumper/stress relief system.

Is it worth 80$? Most definitely. And I think many people will really enjoy this earphone because it really stands well above its peers and has a really really nice case!

As always, this is just a paraphrased summary of the original review:
Sleek Audio SA1 earphone in review - aluminium and rosewood = the new peas and carrots

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 7
Just for your reference.
‰¿Ši.com - Sleek Audio SA1 SLK-EP-000002 ƒŒƒrƒ…[E•]‰¿

You speak Japanese, don't you?
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 7
I found them to be another disappointment from Sleek with very poor built quality. Their cables are just awful. The sound was also underwhelming.

You can do a lot better for under $100.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for your reference.
‰¿Ši.com - Sleek Audio SA1 SLK-EP-000002 ƒŒƒrƒ…[E•]‰¿

You speak Japanese, don't you?
biggrin.gif

Yes, I do - that reviewer wasn't very happy! I find them very good, well worth their price, but not top-class sound for around 80$. Kobayashi is right in some ways about the cables - I am disappointed, but not to dismay. They are better than a number of others at the same price, especially those which use nylon, but they are a step down.

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 7
I picked up the SA1's shortly after they were released.  It was the most expensive pair of IEM's I had owned at that point, and therefore I assumed they would also be the best.  However, while lacking in bass, my Ultimate Ears Super.fi Pro 3's were much more pleased to use than the SA1's.  I have fit issues with the SA1's as well.  None of the included ear tips seem to work for me.  Finally I started using the medium oval tip that come with Klipsch headphones.  That seems to work mostly OK.  Because the fit was never quite right, I found myself pushing them back into my ears often.  This resulted in three pair failing on me.  I will say that Sleek Audio has AMAZING customer service however.  They replaced them in a timely manner, and never asked any questions.  They had very good communication with me as well.  I was informed that the first run of the SA1's had some "issues."  It seems that the internals of the headphones were not built properly and the small wires inside tend to fail.  This has since been remedied by Sleek Audio, as they have designed a new version of the SA1 (it is almost identical on the outside but modified on the inside.)  Also, Sleek Audio has moved all manufacturing back in-house, in the USA.  Even after all of that, I can't advise anyone to pick up a pair of the SA1's.  I suggest the RE0 or RE Zero for about the same cost.  I won't give up home on Sleek Audio just yet though, as I will be ordering a pair of SA7's as soon as they will sell them to me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 7
see allot of you where disappointed. but some wrote it's not that bad. i am looking for a cheap earphones that i can use regularly, but to run with them too. i can buy them for 19$ to buy or not? and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back