[Review] Sleek Audio CT7 custom earphone review -- masterless sound
Jul 7, 2011 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shigzeo

The Hiss King
 ​
For the headphone review proper with all pics and overall build quality assessment, head on over to TouchMyApps. For what matters most for Headfiers (sound), just follow this thread which copies verbatim what's at TMA's review under the section labelled 'Sound'.

Sound Quality

Want a nutshell sound review? Here goes: fast, tight, awesome, sensitive, wide, detailed, raw, pleasing, smile, trance, rock, great. It is a tweaked-for-the-better custom version of the Audio Technica CK10, my favourite earphone of all time.

The CT7 is everything the CT6 was, but better; it is in fact, everything the Jerry Harvey JH13Pro is but rawer. The first listen cut smile lines all over my face for that exact reason.

Gearheads: the CT7 has two speakers per side. It compares very well with earphones sporting 6 or more per side. If you want to brag, you can brag that your dual driver earphone sounds as good earphones with more drivers, and still save hundreds of dollars.

Let’s start off with bass. The CT7 bass attacks all its bases well, but excels in the difficult to control range of 70-200Hz. That range is drier than the bass of the aforementioned JH13Pro, standing out against the wetter, liquidy Earsonics EM3Pro. It is taut, energetic, and hard-hitting, but not abundantly thick. Thickness goes to the ACS T1. It hits with a handful more decibels’ impact than the CK10‘s bass does, vibrating deeply and strongly along the entire range. There is very little inflection at all in its range, though as the signal moves ever higher, the CT7 tends towards sugar, not spice. In other words, artificial bass of fast trance and IDM never abrades, lower percussion is tight and controlled, and there is plenty of detail.

It is fast, ferocious, and squeaky clean. Metal, not wood. No delay, no unwanted reverb in the sound tube. Bass belts out quickly, then fades just as quickly. It is much preferable to the ACS T1 for listeners who value neutrality and clarity.

The JH13pro and EM3Pro, on the other hand, present finer bass texture and space. If there is dead space between bass instruments, you will hear it more clearly through the CT7‘s more expensive competition. The JH13Pro is the champion here, painting low notes like the clearly defined hyperfocal lines of an old Nikkor 50mm 1,2 lens. The CT7 follows along, respectfully, delineating bass and mid voices perfectly well, but at the same time, presenting each within tighter spaces.

I don’t feel that there is a right or wrong here. The CT7 is blunter, the JH13Pro is finer. If you get used to one, you’ll find the other takes time to adjust to, but neither is better than the other unless you give most listening time to genres such as jazz and vocal, in which case, the JH13Pro is just sublime. For industrial rock, electronic, and classical, the extra bite of the CT7 is smashingly good.

The CT7‘s midrange follows its bass. It is forward, edgy, and fun. It’s got detail. It’s got space. It’s got bite. It even has softness where needed. You can hear very clearly the small wet sounds of the mouth, stray breaths into the microphone, the gnarled strings of a guitar. It’s all there.

Vocals are crisp, and guitars forward. Percussion is excellent from the toms to the high hats. Where the the JH13Pro softens, the CT7 tweaks. Natty drummers are natty, crappy guitarists are crappy. The CT7 isn’t sibilant, it’s honest.

Both male and female vocalists excel. They are clear and strongly rendered. The CT7 has a special affinity for mature, lusty voices. The likes of Melody Gardot and Madeleine Peyroux are perfect matches. Nick Cave follows suit. Even Dr. Dre sounds great.

Certain, scratchy voices, however, aren’t the best fit as the CT7’s honest voice will emphasise the scratches till your ears itch in all the wrong places.

Again, it isn’t a weakness, it is merely honest. Milk, not molasses.

If I were to attach a numerical value to CT7 vocal quality, I’d give it an 8. While the formula is right, higher pitches voices lack lust in comparison to the JH13Pro. Of course, the JH13Pro comes costs 300$ more than the CT7. It’s a trade off, one I think that rock, electronic, classical, and pop listeners can live with. Jazz and vocal listeners – if you really really want a custom, the JH13Pro is probably your best bet. The EM3Pro is as good if not better for that genre, but is overall warmer.

The CT7 has almost the perfect balance of power and tenderness. Its equals are more expensive than it. It’s price rivals generally have more audible tradeoffs.

Finally, I’d like to talk about one of the biggest changes between the CT6 and CT7: sensitivity. The CT7 is on par with the FitEar Private 333. If there is any hiss in your source, no matter how timid, you will hear it. The iPod touch 4G is by far the quietest reasonable source I’ve head. It makes no background noise with 99% of the earphones on the market. The CT7 are that 1%. It’s not annoying, it’s surprising. Usually, classical music is dead silent with my CK10, JH13Pro, EM3Pro, Westone 4, and everything but the Private 333.

On the flip side, I can keep the touch on a volume setting of three to four no matter what airplane I’ve boarded. Incredible. Again, I don’t listen to loud music, but even so, the CT6, CK10, and JH13Pro are generally set to as much as 50% of the volume slider.

And, if you have a modern iPod or iPhone, you don’t need an amp to get all the detail you crave. There is a small amount of bloom in the lower bass region when driven without an amp, but it is minimal. Treble notches out to the tune of 2 or 3 decibels way up top only to recover again quickly. A good amp may get everything perfect, but I doubt the difference is audible in controlled, blind listening. Well, actually, since most amps output much much more background noise than an iPod touch, the difference will be audible – and probably not savory.

P.S.
As many of you know, I've stepped away from Headfi as an active poster (other than the photos thread, which is bloody awesome). I started my search in the mid nineties and kept hard at it till 2010, though found my true love in 2008 with the Audio Technica CK10. 

So, I don't bother posting here anymore. Reviews, I'll keep at.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
If I were to attach a numerical value to CT7 vocal quality, I’d give it an 8. While the formula is right, higher pitches voices lack lust in comparison to the JH13Pro. Of course, the JH13Pro comes costs 300$ more than the CT7. It’s a trade off, one I think that rock, electronic, classical, and pop listeners can live with. Jazz and vocal listeners – if you really really want a custom, the JH13Pro is probably your best bet. The EM3Pro is as good if not better for that genre, but is overall warmer.

The JH13 costs $1,100, so it's $400 (not $300) more expensive than the CT7. 

From several reviews/impressions, perhaps a better and cheaper option may be the $400 JH5 (also a dual-driver custom like the CT7), which is $300 cheaper than the CT7 and $700 cheaper than the JH13. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 9
The JH5Pro is a great earphone, one that totally stomps the CT6. But, in terms of most coherent (and neutral) performance, the CT7 is my choice at 700$ versus anything and against much more expensive earphones. Of course, I think the cable is utter crap. Utter crap that belongs on a 40-60$ earphone, not a 700$ earphone. 

Thanks for the price correction.

Quote:

The JH13 costs $1,100, so it's $400 (not $300) more expensive than the CT7. 

From several reviews/impressions, perhaps a better and cheaper option may be the $400 JH5 (also a dual-driver custom like the CT7), which is $300 cheaper than the CT7 and $700 cheaper than the JH13. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 9
hi shigzeo,..nice to see ur review on ct7 is finally out!
1 question though, do you mean that T1 is not neutral or is it jus a bit lesser?

beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 9
I suspect this bodes well for the SA7. Unlike others, I do think there are certain advantages to custom but if similar enough, they may turn out to be an, albeit expensive, steal. Thanks for the review. Nothing like the CT20. I really like your writing style and willingness to put your personal views out there.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Hello! 

The T1 has a darkening sound in the bass, something I like very very much, but it isn't as nuetral in an echo sense, where the sound tubes play a very hard role. The FitEar Private333 and the CT7 have larger bores with harder, acrylic sides. In my experience, the harder the sides, the possibility for cleaner echoes is possible. 

If it wasn't for the cable, this custom would be absolute killer.

Quote:
hi shigzeo,..nice to see ur review on ct7 is finally out!
1 question though, do you mean that T1 is not neutral or is it jus a bit lesser?

beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Shigzeo,

And the highs? The overall signature is like Ck10? Compared to the Ck10/Ck100 there's noticeably more detail/resolution? (I think that detail is more linked to the highs because an earphone with emphased highs tend to sound more detailed. Resolution would be the right word since for me is the ability of resolve complex parts without sound congested, the more effortless it sounds, the better.)

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 9

Thank you for the review!

Quote:
P.S.
As many of you know, I've stepped away from Headfi as an active poster (other than the photos thread, which is bloody awesome). I started my search in the mid nineties and kept hard at it till 2010, though found my true love in 2008 with the Audio Technica CK10. 

So, I don't bother posting here anymore. Reviews, I'll keep at.

Intense comment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back