Review: Shure SE215 vs SE215 SPE Blue
Nov 14, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #16 of 21
Well I got myself the SE215SPE, straight from Japan, hoping for similar sound quality of my current headphones AKG 240MkII. So saying that those blue buds are lacking in highs/sparkle is a huge understatement. Highs are non-existent and everything sounds very muddy and dull. I can listen to these things only after tinkering with the EQ to recover the highs. When the time comes to get a new pair, I will have to get a test listen first before wasting money.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 21
Question:

I have the original SE215K. I've been eyeing the SE215SPE thinking that maybe the improvement in highs would be a welcome change. The problem is that I doubt I'd be much for the SE215K if I sold them and I'm not sure if the change to blue is worth the effort. I'm happy with the bass on the SE215, but wish there was a bit more highs and a slightly more expansive sound stage wouldn't hurt either. Not looking for more bass, although not put off by more on the SPE.

For the original SE215 owners, is the SPE worth the switch?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 21
I can't answer your question for sure, I'm just wondering if those cables exist for the se215. I found after-market cables for the se215 were hard to find. If you find any can you post a link, thx 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 21
  Well I got myself the SE215SPE, straight from Japan, hoping for similar sound quality of my current headphones AKG 240MkII. So saying that those blue buds are lacking in highs/sparkle is a huge understatement. Highs are non-existent and everything sounds very muddy and dull. I can listen to these things only after tinkering with the EQ to recover the highs. When the time comes to get a new pair, I will have to get a test listen first before wasting money.

Shure SE215 SPE. What can I say? Only that I wish I'd read this before buying mine! Thought they would keep me going for a year or so until I could afford something better, but they sound so awful I can't use them. Not sure what the "audiophile" definitions are, but I would say they make the music sound compressed, muddy and slow. Vocals are hidden behind a sludgy veil and there is no sparkle whatsoever. The headphones that came (free) with my $100 Sony mp3 player put them to shame. What a complete waste of money. Now I'll have to try and sell them online. Just glad I didn't go for the more expensive SE535 LTD-J. I won't be buying any more Shure headphones, and that's for sure (pun intended!).

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #21 of 21
  The special edition are only available in white in the UK. Are they the same as the blue models in terms of tech specs and eq's?

The clear are not the same as the blue ones, they were an Asia only model unfortunately,

I recommend checking out the Mee Audio M6 Pro if you are looking at the SE215, they are better in my opinion (clearer with better separation), and cheaper.

But they sound best with the supplied comply tips and do not sound great with the silicone tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back