Review: Shure E500 (compared to ER-4p)
Apr 14, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i remember some guy calling somebody a kid from a super fi thread i guess this time i'll call you a closed mined "old guy". i mean come on er4 is a 15 plus year old product and it's 200 dollars cheaper. if e500 sound better, so what? i thought ast had an interesting thought. not sure if he's right or not.
i personally never heard of neither products but i think i'm going to try someday.

haha i never thought about having an "age" associated with my sonic preferences. probably cuz i'm young and still youthful in my ways. but stereotypically, young people like nightclubs, electronically generated music, hiding subs in the boot of their riced up rides, etc, whereas i prefer older music and garishly disregard mainstream music as music at all. so i guess u can call me old fashioned in my musical tastes, hence sonic preferences. but not everything can be pinned down to my age, eg, i'm a student of engineering, which is why i hear technical perfection as euphony.

the age of er-4 has nothing to do with anything however. i didn't even know how old it was when i bought it. in iem's, it's probably true that sound has changed from detailed and neutral to coloured and euphonic over 15 years, because etymotic was the only player in the market back then, but it's not true for headphones in general. so u can't really call er-4 old in that way.

edit: i don't rly know what ur talking about, but just taking a stab
wink.gif
or are u saying i'm old cuz i'm stubborn?
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #32 of 58
old guy as not accepting new technology or new thing. you know that kid from the other thread is 50 year old too? as you stated before you never even listen to them and you refuse to believe e500 are just as detail/good as er4?

edit: i'm not going to call you stubborn. just fanboy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had Ety E4-S and directly compared it with E500.

etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know about e500 because i haven't heard it,

rolleyes.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #35 of 58
new technology? u talking about dual/triple driver iem's? i'm all for them actually, and i think the future of iem's are in multidrivers. but there are issues relating to the newer technologies that are present in some models. i'm not refusing to accept the new technology, just i prefer the best single drivers on the market to a few multidrivers. who knows, maybe i'll listen to e500 and fall in love with them (doubt it tho). however i'd be lying if i said i don't crave ue10 pros.

it's like comparing older and newer model golf gti. the newer model has twice the power but also twice the weight. racers may very legitimately choose the old model to race, that's nothing to do with having old fashioned taste in cars or refuse to accept that the car industry has undergone technological improvements in 20 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
as you stated before you never even listen to them and you refuse to believe e500 are just as detail/good as er4?

well, that's based off things other people have said. if i've heard more than 2 comments in all er-4 vs e500 threads which says e500's are more detailed than er-4's are, then i'd definitely have to trial e500's. majority of the comments about er-4's i read prior to purchase (good and bad) was completely accurate.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #36 of 58
thought that SE530 had new cabling which may solve some problems =p

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new technology? u talking about dual/triple driver iem's? i'm all for them actually, and i think the future of iem's are in multidrivers. but there are issues relating to the newer technologies that are present in some models. i'm not refusing to accept the new technology, just i prefer the best single drivers on the market to a few multidrivers. who knows, maybe i'll listen to e500 and fall in love with them (doubt it tho). however i'd be lying if i said i don't crave ue10 pros.

it's like comparing older and newer model golf gti. the newer model has twice the power but also twice the weight. racers may very legitimately choose the old model to race, that's nothing to do with having old fashioned taste in cars or refuse to accept that the car industry has undergone technological improvements in 20 years.

well, that's based off things other people have said. if i've heard more than 2 comments in all er-4 vs e500 threads which says e500's are more detailed than er-4's are, then i'd definitely have to trial e500's. majority of the comments about er-4's i read prior to purchase (good and bad) was completely accurate.

Well the ER4 has got nothign on the E500, nor the Triplefi.Pros. Once u get used to the stronger bass of these triple drivers, u will hear a far more natural decay, far far far far more accurate timbre, and more detail throughout the frequency response. The ER4s frequency response will give u the illusion of more detail, as the enhanced frequencies are where a lot of details occur. But all dat detail and more is one the E500, and TFPs. The E500s probably have the best bass response on any IEM, being ultra tight and clear, and flat at the same time. The midrange without a doubt some of the best i have heard regardless of the type of headphones, the etymotic midrange is not even close. And the highs are detailed like the etymotics high end, but smooth unlike the etymotics emphasis. The TFP once again present a bass that is cleaner, more texture and more powerfull than that of the etymotics. And so is the rest of the frequency responce. And this is not a change because of the time period, it just sounds noticeable cleaner and more textured once used to the stronger bass. The decay like in most high end headphones is miles more accurate as well.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #38 of 58
I'll be the first to admit that ER-4S with proper amplification and EQ sounds incredible!!

And people talk about that Ety bass and how there is no slam but you can very clearly hear all of the texture and tones of the bass and how it extends deep down and I concur with this. I find the bass with my TFP's to do the exact same thing but WITH the slam also.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be the first to admit that ER-4S with proper amplification and EQ sounds incredible!!

And people talk about that Ety bass and how there is no slam but you can very clearly hear all of the texture and tones of the bass and how it extends deep down and I concur with this. I find the bass with my TFP's to do the exact same thing but WITH the slam also.

dats my point. The E500s do the same, but have a little more slam. And both the TFP and the E500s have a slightly more textured bass anyway. Midrange wise u cant compare the etymotics, especially to the E500s, and the same goes treble wise, but in this case the TFPs are the ones especially better. And both triple drivers also give u a much bigger soundstage, slightly better imaging, and afar more accurate timbre and decay.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #40 of 58
How exactly does having three drivers have anything to do with the soundstage and imaging? The sound waves are still being fired directly into your eardrum with no interference from body or head or ear.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly does having three drivers have anything to do with the soundstage and imaging? The sound waves are still being fired directly into your eardrum with no interference from body or head or ear.

WEll having triple drivers has nothing to do with it. But then again, triple drivers although much more complex to get to sound right than a single driver are much more capable than single drivers when gotten to sound right. And ultimate ears and shure have made it to make them sound right, and much better than any single driver out there. Anyways, these two triple drivers have a sound dat provides more detail, as well as more soundstage, and all the things i have said before. The E500 has gorgeous midrange and the TFP has Gorgeous highs. They both have gorgeous bass. Overal these two pairs have no weaknesses in their sound signature.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

And ultimate ears and shure have made it to make them sound right, and much better than any single driver out there.

In your opinion.

Quote:

They both have gorgeous bass. Overal these two pairs have no weaknesses in their sound signature.

Except for the suckout in the upper midrange. (Which they both intentionally build in to their universal IEM products.) It seems that most people either don't notice it or don't care, but I went through two other IEMs (one from UE and one from Shure) because of this problem.

10po.png

I do believe this is the worst I've ever seen. If this graph is even remotely accurate, I have absolutely no reason to believe I would ever like such an IEM.

Plus, it wouldn't fit in my ears anyway. If there's one thing UE needs to catch up on, it is proper ergonomics.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except for the suckout in the upper midrange. (Which they both intentionally build in to their universal IEM products.) It seems that most people either don't notice it or don't care, but I went through two other IEMs (one from UE and one from Shure) because of this problem.

Not everyone has a treble roll-off in their ears. Frankly the sound of Etymotics and Grados to me is so bright that it becomes artificial and plastic.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #44 of 58
PiccoloNamek: I believe you have stated in the past that people must give Etys a couple weeks of listening to fully appreciate them. Have you done the same with E500 and TFP?

I have just said in another thread and agree that the ER-4S with proper EQ and amplification sounds incredible but it still can't compete at all with the bass and soundstage of TFP (I can't speak for E500) I don't care what the number of drivers are involved. As great as ER-4S sounds it still sounds flat (and is suppose to) which makes it sound 1-dimensional IMHO.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 58
My ears are just fine and I have absolutely no hearing loss whatsoever. The other IEMs sound flat and unnatural because there is a massive suckout in the region that the human ear normally boosts. According to Wikipedia: "Amplification of sound by the pinna, tympanic membrane and middle ear cause an increase in level of about 10 to 15 dB in a frequency range of 1.5 kHz to 7 kHz." This is normal and this is how we hear sound in our daily lives. So when you have an IEM that has a drop-off of 10 or in some cases nearly 15dB in the same area, it's going to sound terrible. Well, to me it sounds terrible.

Quote:

PiccoloNamek: I believe you have stated in the past that people must give Etys a couple weeks of listening to fully appreciate them. Have you done the same with E500 and TFP?

No, nor will I ever, because I have enough experience to know that I wouldn't like them at all. I know what kind of sound I like and I know that the TF and E500 are technically incapable of producing that kind of sound. I'm not going to waste my time trying them out, unless somebody wants to loan me a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back