Review: Shure E500 (compared to ER-4p)
Apr 11, 2007 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

mkozlows

100+ Head-Fier
So I've had a pair of Etymotic ER-4p headphones for three years or so now, and while I've certainly not been displeased with them, I decided to see how the state of the art had moved on since the early '90s. So, after reading various good reviews (and noting that they were about to be replaced by the pricier SE530), I decided to order a pair of Shure E500s.

I've been listening to them for a few days, out of a variety of sources (unamped iRiver H340 with Rockbox; computer to Micro DAC/Amp), and think I think the following:

1. To my ears, the sound of the E500 is unambiguously better than that of the ER-4p. It's far more natural, less fatiguing and shrill, and possessed of actual bass. It's also more "normal" for me, because it sounds a lot like my speakers (Paradigm Studio 100) and regular headphones (HD-650). With the ER-4p, I hear my music differently -- different instruments brought forward in the mix, different timbre to voices -- but with the E500, I hear the same music I'm used to hearing from other devices.

That said, I'm obviously coming at this from a perspective of someone who likes the HD-650. If you prefer the bright and shrill sound of the DT-880 (which I returned in disgust, because I hated them), there's no question that you're going to prefer the Etymotics here. The E500 isn't exactly the same as the HD650, but it's definitely got a family resemblance, even though it's a completely different type of headphone and from a different company.

2. Comfort-wise, the E500 are unambiguously better. The ER-4p phones were always surprisingly comfortable, considering that you have to shove them four feet deep into your ears, but the Shure is just inherently less intrusive with the default tips. They're more lodged in the outer part of the ear canal, and less jammed deep into the center of your ear. Plus, the shape of the E500 is more ergonomic, as it sort of nestles in your ears, with cords that wrap around -- as opposed to the ER-4p, which just stick out of your ears and dangle there.

The upshot is that I spend a lot less time fiddling around with positioning the E500, and they don't keep trying to worm their way out of my ear the way the ER-4p always did. And they're so unobtrusive that I can actually lay on my side on a pillow with them in my ears, which is extremely cool.

(I'll also note that one of the more frustrating thing about the ER-4p was that the sound was very dependent on positioning. If I shifted the phones around slightly, the sound would change radically in character. Combine that with their tendency to slowly slip out of the ears, and I spent a lot of time fiddling around with them.)

3. With the default tips, the Shure is less isolating than the Etymotics. If I put the tri-flange tip on, then they seem about even, but the Shure feels even more invasive than the Etymotics, as the tip is somewhat thicker. Neither of them are in the same league as the seven-year-old HD580s I used to have, which were like little puffs of marshmallow somewhere in the vicinity of my head, but that's not surprising.

4. Both of them are susceptible to hiss, but the Shure is definitely worse. I'd never heard a hint of hiss out of the Micro Amp, but it's there with the Shure. It's easily enough fixed by hooking the (included) volume control in-line and turning it down just enough to eliminate the hiss, but it's something to be aware of.

5. Conversely, the Etymotics cable transmits sound like crazy, and can drive you nuts rubbing against your shirt, whereas the Shure cable is essentially silent. So that's a plus.

6. Portability-wise, the Etymotics definitely win, with their combination of smaller phones and thinner cable; they can be jammed into an insanely small space in a way that the E500 can't. Still, these are both fundamentally IEMs, and both of them are perfectly portable in almost all cases.

All in all, for me the Shure is a big win for both ergonomic and sound quality factors. I can imagine that there are people out there who'd prefer the bright and direct sound from the Etymotics, but ergonomically, I suspect that basically everyone would prefer the Shure.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 58
I have both IEMs and concur, they just have very different sounds, but I really enjoy the sound of my E500s and they are similar to my HD600s, just more portable.

You will definitely want to try the new black foamies from Shure, takes the E500 up yet another notch... in isolation, sound and comfort.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 58
I have an ER4-S which definitely needs an amp, and a ER4-P that does not, but seems to like one.. course the E500s dont need an amp either, but they sure like my Hornet
smily_headphones1.gif

The Etys like to be seated as far as you can get them in comfortably. For me that took a while to master, the E500s were a snap and just sit perfectly in the curve of my ear, just a great design.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 58
interesting review- I've recently picked up a pair of ER4-s, and I've auditioned the e500's for a short time. I immediately didn't like the e500s, bass seemed muddled to me on classical recordings.

Then again, I'm a big fan of K501/soon k1000

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 58
Those were my etys that gates_2 picked up. For me, I had to let them go for the reasons mentioned in the review. I'm eagerly awaiting a pair of UM2s.
600smile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 58
I moved from the er4p and completely agree with your review. I liked the clarity of the Etys, but they were just too shrill sometimes...

One thing though, is how you think the Shure's stack up in terms of robustness. My first pair had to go back for repair after 5 months as the wire attaching to the buds became exposed, just through regular use and without any kind of "trauma". Shure UK were really great and I had a brand new pair within just over a week, but I have this dreadful paranoia that it's going to happen again and kind of keep checking them in a really OCD fashion.....

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 58
I too have found this - your post mirrored almost exactly what I was going to say about the Shure's and the Ety's.

At first I was somewhat disappointed with the 'tamed' treble - then I realised that the detail was still there - just not as in your face as before with the Ety's.

I love the impact, bass and overall 'realism' of the sound projected by the Shure's. I hated the sound of the Shure e2's - I wouldn't recommend them to anyone and was so afraid that the E500's would share the same appalling fit but I needn't have worries - they fit just fine.

I'm using the new Shure washable foam tips and they do make a difference to both the feel of the phones and the sound quality although I did get good results with the tri-flange tips from my Ety's too.

It's a shame they are so damned expensive though - I really feel that walking around with a pair of IEM's that cost more than my IPOD somewhat scarey - trouble is they are so addictive!

I still rate the Ety's very highly and am now trying to decide if I should still keep them. I'm mindful that I could trade them for a decent headphone amp and cable - thereby improving the sound quality of the E500's even more.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 58
Lol... Thanks for sharing. But I know for a fact that the Ety fanboys will storm this thread. As usual.
Nevertheless, I too find the treble peaks of the er4s too excessive at times and more fatiguing. This, imo, is NOT neutral contrary to what ety lovers profess.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 58
It isn't the ER4's fault that your ears won't work with it.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 58
Is it really fair to compare a $180 IEM with a $450 (without the PTH)? I haven't spent that much time looking for the best price of the E500 but anyway... and I know that the ER4 used to be more expensive.

Of course you can compare them but in a purchase situation (as I'm going to be in soon) the $270 difference means a lot, at least to me. I do really appreciate the review though, good one!

/Etymotic Er6i owner, so I guess that makes me a fan-boy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really fair to compare a $180 IEM with a $450?

yea it is. in fact they get compared to each other more than any two other iem's. actually every iem gets compared to er-4 one point or another - they are pretty much the "bar" in the iem world

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really fair to compare a $180 IEM with a $450 (without the PTH)?

($400 with the PTH, street.)

I don't know whether it's FAIR or not, but it's the comparison I can make, as those are the two IEMs I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back