REVIEW: Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S - Comparison w/ ER-4 and E5c
Apr 1, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 43
About the re-selling-
Lets say you sold me your sensaphonics. Can't I just call up a local audiologist and have them re-make the molds for me so that they do fit?

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 43
That's good to know. I'm sure someone in the Bay area has this universal one in case I can't stop myself from upgrading.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
About the re-selling-
Lets say you sold me your sensaphonics. Can't I just call up a local audiologist and have them re-make the molds for me so that they do fit?

No... I don't know it's if they "can't" do it.. or they "won't" do it.. either way they'll say no to that question.

Also means, if I ever have a drastic weight increase or decrease (which actually changes your ear shape slightly), I will need to buy another pair.

However, it has to be really drastic to affect your ear shape *that* much.. like.. going up 200 lbs from where I am now or something..

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
No... I don't know it's if they "can't" do it.. or they "won't" do it.. either way they'll say no to that question.

Also means, if I ever have a drastic weight increase or decrease (which actually changes your ear shape slightly), I will need to buy another pair.

However, it has to be really drastic to affect your ear shape *that* much.. like.. going up 200 lbs from where I am now or something..

That good motivation to keep somewhat healthy depending on your current weight when you buy these things.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 43
Congrats! Man, that's one scary investment. No way to audition, return, or resell them. I think that even if I didn't like them, I'd end up forcing myself to under those circumstances.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 43
THose are some funky ass looking phones...
Alien is appropriate eh?

I aint never seen anything like that before.. looks like some internal organ you find while dissecting something... hehe...

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 43
Sensaphonics does indeed do both the NAMM shows (winter: Anaheim, summer: Nashville) and has a booth set up for the average joe to try them on. The problem I found wth this when I checked them out (I was helped by a friend of the company -- not an actual employee) was that I was forced to listen to their music. I asked for rock and got something that would have been at home in a Vegas elevator. I really liked the sound of the phones, but was the music was so distateful I could say that I loved them.

For those that want to hear them and are *seriously* willing to shell out the $$$, they should contact Sensaphonics and get a recommendation on an audiologist and see if a universal-fit pair could be sent to them. Otherwise, if you like to sweat, they'll be there at Nashville NAMM in July.

From my limited listening, I can tell you that the clarity and detail was much closer to the Etys. There was an eveness, a true flat line, that allowed everything to shine. Even with the horrid tunes, I could hear breath in the music. What I couldn't hear, alas, was the bass -- and that had more to do with the musical selection than anything else. Since lindrone likes the bass, I know I am now doomed this July.

Sigh.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 43
Latest edit: Had to fix some grammatical and spelling errors..

Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
THose are some funky ass looking phones...
Alien is appropriate eh?

I aint never seen anything like that before.. looks like some internal organ you find while dissecting something... hehe...

Hehee.. those are only as funky as what your inner ear shape is like. So in a way, it's not the earphone that's funky.. It's you!

Yes, that's right.. you're funky funky!..

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #25 of 43
real cool review lindrone. I'd like to see how you feel after hanging onto them for a few months. You are a brave soul to make such an investment on faith. I hope they are good to ya : ]

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 43
One very important correction made today:

Quote:

Correction: I found out later that the 2X-S doesn't use the same exact crossover design as the E5c. 2X-S's crossover is inside the driver, so all that is in the wire is a resistor. Hence the much smaller size.

As for other issues...

Quote:

real cool review lindrone. I'd like to see how you feel after hanging onto them for a few months. You are a brave soul to make such an investment on faith. I hope they are good to ya : ]

I already had these for almost two weeks now.. they're probably here to find a permanent home with me
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
Interesting, how exactly does the universal pair work?

They look like the E5's so they just put new foamies on and voila! The sound is obviously not as good as you're going to get nor is the isolation. However, you are able to get the flavour of the phone.... They don't sell these -- they only use them for demonstration purposes.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #29 of 43
Nope, two bores. But they're only made in the hard acrylic form. It's pared down, and a foam sock is placed at the end of it - much like the sleeves used on all canalphones. Like wildeone says, it's really to just get a small taste. Not comfortable, and not particularly good at isolating. Sounds correct, though.
Doesn't really compare to the real deal.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
So the demo ProPhonic's are single bore design?

If you mean do they have only one hole -- yeah. At least, I think so. The foamie was regular size and I had no problem getting it into my tiny ear. Think they might have gone a touch deeper (and thinner) like the Etys, but still resembled the E5's more.... They were most definitely *not* the E5's though -- the sound was much clearer and even smoother.

EDIT: Oops, Sugarfried just jumped in with the correct answer -- two bores. Guess it's like the blow holes in my Maui whales.
wink.gif
Mea culpa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back