[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #256 of 509
Quote:
There's an IE800 on the FS forums for $660....

I think Sennheiser really shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary ear tips crap. I'm willing to bet that there's such a wide disparity in impressions because of the poor tip selection. It wouldn't be so bad if the tips themselves were of high quality, but they're not. 

The original tips are pretty bad. I use ortofon small size as well as comply tx200.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #257 of 509
Notwithstanding all the niggles about design choices and sonic preferences, how anyone can be anything less than impressed with their performance is really beyond me.

I was less than impressed overall. For close to a grand I don't expect to have to eq sub bass down and upper mids up, as well as apply tea bag filters under the tips. The mids were great though.

But at least I learned about the usefulness of tea bags outside of, well, tea. I'm going to try them on the relatively neutral monoprice iems and see if it tames the 5k peak.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #258 of 509
The IE800 does take some time to get used to/liked.

My impressions mostly similar to James' review.
Anyway looking forward to ur review.

Will be more like impressions than a review. :p

There's an IE800 on the FS forums for $660....

I think Sennheiser really shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary ear tips crap. I'm willing to bet that there's such a wide disparity in impressions because of the poor tip selection. It wouldn't be so bad if the tips themselves were of high quality, but they're not. 

If I had $660 to spend on earphones right now I probably would especially if they plan to come out with an iPhone remote cable, but to me, the ASG-2 is similar enough in sonic character that I'll take the trade off and enjoy the heck out of them.

The stock M tips give me a perfect shallow seal with no problems at all. Guess I'm lucky.

I was less than impressed overall. For close to a grand I don't expect to have to eq sub bass down and upper mids up, as well as apply tea bag filters under the tips. The mids were great though.

But at least I learned about the usefulness of tea bags outside of, well, tea. I'm going to try them on the relatively neutral monoprice iems and see if it tames the 5k peak.

Well that's what I mean, it's more about taste than thinking they didn't perform impressively. A grand is hard to swallow and you can do similarly give or take with the ASG-2 I'd say for less but they have their little things too. You don't like that much subbass and that's cool. I understand that. But are you saying that the subbass, notwithstanding the excessive quantity for your tastes, was of poor quality?

I'd bump up around 3K as a personal preference too.

Tea bags! I knew I forgot to try something. Will give that a shot tonight. Thanks.

Edit: as an example of where I might be coming from, I like the IE800 because it has more subbass and midrange resolution than the Heaven V, but I like the Heaven V because it has less subbass and less midrange resolution than the IE800... If that makes any sense at all.

I'm not trying to really fix anything to my taste rather than enjoy it for what it is.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #259 of 509
The 3k bump was strictly preference but the sub bass is a problem. I think it sounds boomy at its stock boosted level, so no I don't think it's good quality. Perhaps it would sound better at those boosted levels from a larger driver, but for me, it made any length of listening over a few songs fatiguing as well.

Too bad b/c the mids are really good. I wonder if Senn could ever make the HD600 sig in IEM form?

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #260 of 509
The 3k bump was strictly preference but the sub bass is a problem. I think it sounds boomy at its stock boosted level, so no I don't think it's good quality. Perhaps it would sound better at those boosted levels from a larger driver, but for me, it made any length of listening over a few songs fatiguing as well.

Too bad b/c the mids are really good. I wonder if Senn could ever make the HD600 sig in IEM form?

Sennheiser has so much potential lol.

Interesting point about the driver and fair enough. I thought that for the stock huge level of subbass, the control was quite good. It sounds like it gets better with lower levels but then it's not really the same thing to compare. I guess what I'm saying is are there many IEMs with similar level of subbass and better control?

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #263 of 509
Hard to say without hearing them side by side or within a close time period. In recent memory I don't recall hearing that much sub bass in anything else.

Yea it's a lot, lol. I don't know if you have the new bass port valve on your AS-2 but at the first notch, out of 4, the subbass levels are starting to get very close but then you also get a commensurate lift in the midbass. It's harder to listen for subbass quality to compare when there's an equivalent or more midbass to go with it.

And honestly, niggles was the wrong word to use in my original post. The meaning is more negative than I had meant.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #264 of 509
I haven't heard anything as bassy as the IE800s too.

However don't you think it has one of the best bass when the 100hz region is toned down say 3db?

It was deeper bass (50hz) that was quite over powering. I preferred to cut it by 4 to 5 db's. After EQ it was certainly better but not one of the best IMO. The mids were clearly star of this show for me.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #265 of 509
It was deeper bass (50hz) that was quite over powering. I preferred to cut it by 4 to 5 db's. After EQ it was certainly better but not one of the best IMO. The mids were clearly star of this show for me.

They are spectacular. I'm still on the fence about if they're too dry for me but they impress me no less even if they are.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #267 of 509
Oh...Oh god.  I have owned these for months and had given up on finding them comfortable.  Then I randomly wander through this thread and find out that I've been wearing them upside down the entire time.

I have them in the right way now and it feels so many worlds better.  My IQ feels like it's hovering somewhere around 10 at the moment.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #268 of 509
Quote:
Oh...Oh god.  I have owned these for months and had given up on finding them comfortable.  Then I randomly wander through this thread and find out that I've been wearing them upside down the entire time.

I have them in the right way now and it feels so many worlds better.  My IQ feels like it's hovering somewhere around 10 at the moment.

Aha, oh no! That isn't good now is it (this post also made my night).

Hope you enjoy them much more from now on! 
tongue.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back