[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Feb 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #346 of 509
My IE800 are not with me right now but from memory the connector pin between the main cable and the split to each drive is a TRS, hence you have more chance of dancing with the Queen Mother than getting a balanced cable.  The only way to achieve it would be to cut the cables above the Y split and connect a 4 wire cabler to your connector of choice.  This is of course a one way conversion!

Good luck and let us know if you take that route.

Regards

Sceptre

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #347 of 509
I waited so long for the RCA800 that I ended up selling the IE800.  I have the Kuro and the Shure 846 now.  Out of all the IEMs I used, the IE800 was my favorite by far.  It has a really detailed sound with remarkable bass.  However, as the review in the op mentions, the comfort is poor.  No matter what tip I used, the IE800 would eventually get displaced.  It might be the lightest IEM of the bunch, but it feels like it was designed to be worn by a mutant.

There is just no way to get any other tips for it and there's no way to wear it comfortably over the ear!  There is a reason why this IEM sells for so little on the resale market and it has nothing to do with the sound.

I experience the same problem of all the stock tips keep slipping out of my ears (my ear canals not staying completely dry is a big part to blame though), I have tried the Comply foam tips (TS-200) and they fit perfectly, however foam tips muffles the sound. Since I love the sound of IE800 so much, I decided to spend some money to get a custom-made ear impression for it:

DSC_0544.jpg

As you might suspect, the ear impressions make the sound warmer since they go deep into the ears as opposed to the shallow stock tips; soundstage also becomes smaller. If you look at the bright side though, the ear impressions make the bass even punchier than it already is, which is nice for music such as pop, trance, techno, etc. It also brings the sound to the front which makes the music more engaging, and you can tune down the volume comparing to stock tips.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #349 of 509
I experience the same problem of all the stock tips keep slipping out of my ears (my ear canals not staying completely dry is a big part to blame though), I have tried the Comply foam tips (TS-200) and they fit perfectly, however foam tips muffles the sound. Since I love the sound of IE800 so much, I decided to spend some money to get a custom-made ear impression for it:

DSC_0544.jpg

As you might suspect, the ear impressions make the sound warmer since they go deep into the ears as opposed to the shallow stock tips; soundstage also becomes smaller. If you look at the bright side though, the ear impressions make the bass even punchier than it already is, which is nice for music such as pop, trance, techno, etc. It also brings the sound to the front which makes the music more engaging, and you can tune down the volume comparing to stock tips.

These look good, where'd you get them moulded?

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #350 of 509

DSC_0544.jpg

i love the idea of these - very very resourceful 

so are the 800's actually moulded into the silicon (is it silicon) or is there an opening in which you insert them 

I'm wondering if a thicker impression could be made in which the 800's were fitted further out to avoid the bass and the sound stage being affected. I love bass but wouldnt want to go any bassier than what my 800's already are.
Any chance of a photo of the inward side - would like to see the canal opening and how it fits around the iem

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #353 of 509
  What tips do you guys use for the ie800s? I can't really tell which one seals the best. The 3 largest tips all fit me, and all sound the same.

I tried the small and large tips but they dont fit very well at all. So I use the medium round tips which sound the best IMO, although the Medium oval tips gives me a better seal, they change the sound considerably. The standard medium tips have a bigger sound stage representation and better clarity. Whereas the medium oval brings the sound forward a little but at the expense of clarity and not as big sound stage....weird but try it for yourself, tips make a huge difference in sound quality.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #354 of 509
Although I have my ongoing fuzzy issue (which I'm starting to think is an enhanced, or clearer, realisation of the effects of mastering of a quality that's less than the quality these headphones reveal) I think the IE800s are the best in ears I've ever heard and I love my pair.

However, if anyone gets bored of them and can't sell them on you could always use them as a stethoscope! I usually use them sitting at my desk and that's great, but the other day I had to walk somewhere and I kept them in. It was like someone was punching me in my ears for every step I took! Microphonics are insane!

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #355 of 509
These look good, where'd you get them moulded?

At a local "hearing and speech centre", aka a place for making hearing aids.

i love the idea of these - very very resourceful 

so are the 800's actually moulded into the silicon (is it silicon) or is there an opening in which you insert them 

I'm wondering if a thicker impression could be made in which the 800's were fitted further out to avoid the bass and the sound stage being affected. I love bass but wouldnt want to go any bassier than what my 800's already are.
Any chance of a photo of the inward side - would like to see the canal opening and how it fits around the iem

They are silicon, yes, and the earphones are not moulded into them. No way I will let my IE800 moulded into anything. They got a nice and fit opening where the earphones are inserted into, I have taken a few more pictures of them:

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0548.jpg

As for how they fit around the earphones, I thought the initial picture I posted already gives a clear... picture. :)

Rather than deep insertion of earphones into the impression, I would think it's the deep insertion of the tip into the ear canal that affects the sound signature. If the tip of the impression can be made shorter so that the sound doesn't travel a longer distance in a narrow tunnel, I'd imagine the sound signature would stay closer to original, however a shorter tip would not make sense for this impression's design... if you know what I mean.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #356 of 509
Thanks mate for the info. I had a pair of ACS (UK outfit) custom tips in silicon for my SE535's and they worked very well.
I'll have a word with them.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #357 of 509
At a local "hearing and speech centre", aka a place for making hearing aids.
They are silicon, yes, and the earphones are not moulded into them. No way I will let my IE800 moulded into anything. They got a nice and fit opening where the earphones are inserted into, I have taken a few more pictures of them:

As for how they fit around the earphones, I thought the initial picture I posted already gives a clear... picture.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rather than deep insertion of earphones into the impression, I would think it's the deep insertion of the tip into the ear canal that affects the sound signature. If the tip of the impression can be made shorter so that the sound doesn't travel a longer distance in a narrow tunnel, I'd imagine the sound signature would stay closer to original, however a shorter tip would not make sense for this impression's design... if you know what I mean.

thanks for those pics - i couldnt quite see how the 800's were fitted

i have just recently taken up jogging and the 800's which i find sit ok when at home tend to come out when moving too much so am seriously interested in looking at doing what you have done.

we have a local audiologist who is into ciems so will email him your pics and see what he can do

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #358 of 509
is this senny's knockoff worth buying ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/EMS-DHL-Free-shipping-2014-IE800-in-ear-headphones-mp3-sport-earphone-stereo-metal-bass-portable/806310_1648749673.html

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #359 of 509
  is this senny's knockoff worth buying ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/EMS-DHL-Free-shipping-2014-IE800-in-ear-headphones-mp3-sport-earphone-stereo-metal-bass-portable/806310_1648749673.html

I wouldn't do it... I think you'd be better off (safer) going with some Westone's or some other authentic brand.  That or just save up to buy from an authorized source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back