[REVIEW] Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs Sennheiser Amperior: Comparison Review
Aug 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #31 of 50
  did you try playing around with the different earpads to see the difference?

No Tom. And actually i am not planning to do so. I am used to the hd25 simply plugged in to my ipod touch (4th gen) and like that the bass was super punchy and tight but lacked a bit of depth and the sound overall would not hurt if it had a bit more of fullness..... then..... well i tried the amperior.... and believe.... the difference in sound of the hd25 plugged in directly to an ipod to an amperior is pretty huge due to the amperiors being much more sensitive. Bass and overall sound is much fuller on the amperiors to the point where i start thinking if its not a bit too much at times.... XD
I was expecting a marginal difference but that was not marginal at all.... Bass goes deeper on the amperior as well and also the highs are more controlled. Maybe if i plugged the hd25's to an amp or a more powerfull source they would both sound more similar, but simply driven from an ipod touch both sound a bit different. The amperior sounds really a lot more full.

I agrre with triple x though... the amperiors for edm are great but fore more acostic stuff and rock i think i prefer the hd25's mayve due to the hotter treble. The extra treble on the hd25 makes the guitars have more of that "twwwwwwwaaang" feeling and also drums and drum plates sound more lively and spontaneous. The amperior on the other hand sounds nicer with edm because the bass is fuller and the treble is more controlled wich results on a little less harsher sound on some edm tracks.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #32 of 50
They are very similar. They are more similar than different. For me, it would not be worth the additional ~150, as I got my Amperiors as a gift.

I have since sold my Amperiors as I preferred the hd25s.

1 - not in resolution, they're a downgrade or a side grade. As for the other two, I rh8nk they are both due to the new material of the Amperiors pads.

2 - I just would not bother with the Amperiors and get yourself some decent full size headphones if I was you :p

3 - I love the blue. *shrug*

My recommendation would be to buy yourself the amperior pads for your hd25, and a pair of full size headphones (like beyer dt770 or senn hd598).

x, what made you prefer the hd25 over the amperior? What made you sell the amperior and keep the hd25s (soundwise)?

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 50
x, what made you prefer the hd25 over the amperior? What made you sell the amperior and keep the hd25s (soundwise)?

I preferred the HD25's more exciting sound sig, and I'm not really a bass head so the Amperiors were simply less interesting to me, sound wise. The HD25's are much more in your face while the Amperiors are more relaxed and bassy.

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 50
I preferred the HD25's more exciting sound sig, and I'm not really a bass head so the Amperiors were simply less interesting to me, sound wise. The HD25's are much more in your face while the Amperiors are more relaxed and bassy.

Thats exactly what i am thinking. I like edm and a good amount of bass but i am not also a basshead at all. I am finding the amperior too have too much bass as well. It seems to leek bass to the mids and also the mids are more recessed than on the hd25 and this is the worst part... The more forward and pronounced mids on the hd25s make rock sound much more agressive but at the same more engaging while the amperior os more laidback and has that bassy feeling all over. For instance while listening to biffy clyro or artic monkeys the vocalist on the amperior sound a bit further while on the hd25 it is almost like he is singing with all that agressive energy next to your ears wich is really cool and engaging. Also guitars and cimbals sound much more agressive, engaging and more adictive on the hd25s.... Guitars seems much more forward and have that twwwwwwwaaaaaaang feeling.... On the amperiors not so much...Also the hd25 is much easier to eq in order to make the sound fit what you like....

Is this what you felt? :-D

Not saying that the amperiors are bad, but they kind of changed the signature and to me it was not for the best.... Maybe too bassy and too laidback...

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #35 of 50
Thats exactly what i am thinking. I like edm and a good amount of bass but i am not also a basshead at all. I am finding the amperior too have too much bass as well. It seems to leek bass to the mids and also the mids are more recessed than on the hd25 and this is the worst part... The more forward and pronounced mids on the hd25s make rock sound much more agressive but at the same more engaging while the amperior os more laidback and has that bassy feeling all over. For instance while listening to biffy clyro or artic monkeys the vocalist on the amperior sound a bit further while on the hd25 it is almost like he is singing with all that agressive energy next to your ears wich is really cool and engaging. Also guitars and cimbals sound much more agressive, engaging and more adictive on the hd25s.... Guitars seems much more forward and have that twwwwwwwaaaaaaang feeling.... On the amperiors not so much...Also the hd25 is much easier to eq in order to make the sound fit what you like....

Is this what you felt? :-D

Not saying that the amperiors are bad, but they kind of changed the signature and to me it was not for the best.... Maybe too bassy and too laidback...

I would agree with all of that completely, I'd say the only possible downside to the HD25's is that they're quite sibilant sometimes. Otherwise, they're just more interesting in my opinion!

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #36 of 50
I would agree with all of that completely, I'd say the only possible downside to the HD25's is that they're quite sibilant sometimes. Otherwise, they're just more interesting in my opinion!

True. But sibilance is well handled when such a engaging sound is provided. With a rock eq on my 4th gen ipod touch i can make my hd25s sound perfect to my ears. When equing with the amperior, or the mids are too recessed,or the sound is to bassy... I prefer the neutral tone of the hd25 while maintaing the punchy bass and overall engaging frequency. Its weird. Many people say the amperiors are a improvement but to my ear the hs25 sounds clearer and also the amperior with that bass hump starts to move from neutral to slightly colored sound and i am not digging that very much.... But the more laidback sound is whats killing it for me... They toned down the best part of the hd25....

Think i a! Staring to understand why it did not work out for so many hd25 owners and why it did not found its place on the sun....

Once again not that they are bad, but i am a bit happy i got them for 80 euros.... I was about to drop 150 for them a coiple of weeks ago... I would be moaning even more now....

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #37 of 50
Well I ended up selling my Amperiors. Kept my Hd-25s. The Amperiors were very good but they were the most sellable of my headphones. My battered hd-25s are getting plenty of use for DJing and as my outdoor can.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #38 of 50
Well I ended up selling my Amperiors. Kept my Hd-25s. The Amperiors were very good but they were the most sellable of my headphones. My battered hd-25s are getting plenty of use for DJing and as my outdoor can.

totally just curious but do you think you can shed some light on the reason why you didn't like the Amperiors but loved the HD25s? 

i think the amperiors can be used for Djing as well (the lower impedence might be a bit annoying sometimes depending on the setting its used though, so that could be a reason)

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #39 of 50
just finished my comparison video between the amperiors and the momentum on ears. Still love the amperiors more though, the sound is just on some other level. the speed and detail is amazing.

check it out below: but i think the MOE is just more consumer friendly, and i think it does hit its target audience 

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #40 of 50
totally just curious but do you think you can shed some light on the reason why you didn't like the Amperiors but loved the HD25s? 

i think the amperiors can be used for Djing as well (the lower impedence might be a bit annoying sometimes depending on the setting its used though, so that could be a reason)

I actually would have preferred to keep the Amperior, and a simple coiled cable extender and pleather pads would make it perfect for djing.

I bought the Amperior with intention of replacing a damaged Hd25. Afterward I realized the hd25 was more easily reparable. And then after getting an hd650 I had one headphone too many.

That said, there are some aspects I prefer about the hd25, mostly it presentation and tonal balance. The Amperior on the other hand is technically better, and has a more extended high end. The hd25 is not as clear. Ultimately neither of them could compete with the HD650 (the Amperiors are very good though) so keeping the Hd25 for my Dj gigs and as a portable works out.

I still really like the hd25, and it pairs well with my JDS Labs C5D (especially with the bass boost if listening to electronic) but also sounds fine out of iPhone/iPod.

I think if I was to replace it I may try the HD25 Aluminum as well as the HD7 and HD8. But it's not kikely to be replaced. The one I have has had water, fire/heat damage but drivers were fine, and the cups never seem to get scratched. My first choice of headphone if there ever is a zombie apocalypse. :wink:

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #41 of 50
I have owned 3 pairs of Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's, they have either been lost in clubs where I DJ or stolen. The pair I own now are the Adidas edition ones. I have owned these ones for 3 years and they're still in tact even after stomping on them several times (drunken DJ times, fun, woohoo..). The thin pleather cups are still in tact, no rips or scuffing. Never had a problem with them. The white ear pads I got with these will be used later if the blue ear pads wear out on the HD 25-1 II's. Amperior's are OK, but do not sound natural enough. Too much bottom end but then they sound like they're being over driven on a Cowon multimedia player. Not sure if the drivers are the same as HD 25's but know that changing the driver housing internal shape can attribute to different sound textures. Might invest in a pair just for out and about. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #42 of 50
  just finished my comparison video between the amperiors and the momentum on ears. Still love the amperiors more though, the sound is just on some other level. the speed and detail is amazing.

check it out below: but i think the MOE is just more consumer friendly, and i think it does hit its target audience 

I agree. I too did a direct comparo between the Amperior and the Momentum, but the over-ear rather than the on-ear, and found the Amperior to be the clear winner. Now, if I could find a portable headphone with the design and ergonomics of the Momentum and the sound signature of the Amperior I'd be in heaven. :wink:

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 50
@Triple X
@Malfunkt
@Tom22
@SiNTENDO

....and after almost one year i finally decided as well.... :D

...my amperiors are being sold tomorrow....

On one hand its hard to see them go because of a couple of things.... first, the way of how i got them (thank you very much once again moriez), second because maybe they will become a rarity someday (maybe yes, maybe not).....

But to be honest i gotta face the facts and admit that the hd25's are overall better in all ways IMO....

Here's why....

I prefer the overall sound of the hd25 to the amperiors..... the hd25's are slightly more agressive and that makes the music become livelier and more adictive.
The basis of the amperior sound is the same but when they tried to smooth the treble a bit and enhance the bass in my opinion they messed the lively part and basically lost part of the engaging that makes the hd25's so beloved... ok its not such a drastic change in sound since they both share the same sound basis, but to me the hd25 is the more engaging one and although a bit grainier it sounds also clearer to my hears and bit more detailed. the amperior seems slower, more realaxed, a bit more bloated in the bass maybe, they are probably better for edm because of the bass impact but in my opinion the hd25 is the better all rounder and also their sound is super easy to eq....the amperiors do not respond as well to eq IMO... i can make the hd25's sound like the amperiors with some tweaking but i cant make the amperiors sound like a hd25.... :)

The amperiors are easier to drive but the hd25's are easier to drive to as well.... its noticeable but the hd25's volume without an amp on a ipad for example is more than enough... i listen to lots of edm and even on the street i dont go beyond 75% of volume....

Also after some thinking and after posting some ads to sell both i reached some conclusions....  for example, everyone knows a hd25 because.... well, it is simply one of the most regarded headphones in the audio industry. Although the amperior is a hd25 based headphone the hd25is much easier to resell because dj's, producers and audio lovers like us are always looking for a pair and unless the person interested has a deep interest in headphones like we do, the chances of knowing a hd25 are much greater than knowing a amperior.

Talking about build and confort.... the hd25 is lighter and more durable. The extra weight of the cups on the amperiors makes them IMO more unconfortable, not so forgetable on the head and the fit and confort is not as good as the hd25's with the pleather pads. Toss a pair of amperiors and hd25's on a concrete floor (not that i've done that... :D ) and the hd25 will look like new... the aluminium cups on the amperior will easilly become damaged (if the purpose is heavy duty use).... if something happens to the hd25s, parts are much easier to find and probably much cheaper while only a replacement cup for the amperiors may cost the same as brand new pair hd25's....

Also in the future i highly doubt there will be many parts to fix a amperior or hd25 ALU and they will not be cheap for sure...

For the last 6 months i always found myself reaching more for the hd25s than the amperiors.... so, my choice is made...

HD25's stay, amperiors go, Also it would be stupid to keep 2 headphones that are basically the same for much longer.... and i've already kept both for tooooooo long....

... with the money i am finally investing in a pair of decent over ears.... maybe a ath m50x or a dt770's.... i desperatly need some over ears again. :)

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #44 of 50
  @Triple X
@Malfunkt
@Tom22
@SiNTENDO

....and after almost one year i finally decided as well.... :D

...my amperiors are being sold tomorrow....

HD25's stay, amperiors go, Also it would be stupid to keep 2 headphones that are basically the same for much longer.... and i've already kept both for tooooooo long....

... with the money i am finally investing in a pair of decent over ears.... maybe a ath m50x or a dt770's.... i desperatly need some over ears again. :)

Well as long as you keep one of them.. Wait I think you posted you sold both in another thread! Oh no. :frowning2:

I was in the same boat as you having both.. and while they are affordable, I don't like the idea of having two similar things around if I don't need them. The first time around, I kept my HD25 as I was able to sell the Amperiors for a good price as my HD25s were in a less pristine condition. A year later, I'm keeping the Amperiors and I am happy to have them back.  

As far as what is the better phone, its a bit of preference. I do think technically, the Amperior has a better  high-end and low-end frequency extension. It also is clearer and less distorted. The highs on the Amperior could be harsh to some, and they initially were when I got mine, but has smoothed out. The high end helps with a number of recordings and just gives them that 'sizzle' on the top end. Same thoughts as I had last year, and I've had the luxury to try out and own some higher end headphones since.

For the HD-25, though quite different sound than the Amperior, they are still family. They have a more even or 'neutralish' presentation. Comfort, both are similar and the pads make a difference like you've noted. The Amperior feels like a nice upgrade, a bit more premium. As far as parts, all of them are interchangeable. You can always get HD25 or HD600/650 cables to fit with the Amperior. The one big question is the Amperior driver. It isn't the same as the HD25, and isn't the same as just 'EQing' the HD25 driver to be brighter and bassier. 

Really interested in hearing the new HD25 Aluminum. I'm interested in how much difference the cups have made as I imagine the HD25 drivers are still the same (unless Sennheiser has changed them in the past decade or so). If the HD25 had some of the traits of the Amperior with its clarity in the low end, I'd be very happy with them. I guess I should have kept my HD25s around to experiment, but they are on potential permanent loan to my bro.

Good luck with whatever you get. It's worth trying other headphones out. You can always come back to the venerable HD25 at a later date, they are bound to be a success for a while.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #45 of 50
Well as long as you keep one of them.. Wait I think you posted you sold both in another thread! Oh no. :frowning2:

I was in the same boat as you having both.. and while they are affordable, I don't like the idea of having two similar things around if I don't need them. The first time around, I kept my HD25 as I was able to sell the Amperiors for a good price as my HD25s were in a less pristine condition. A year later, I'm keeping the Amperiors and I am happy to have them back.  

As far as what is the better phone, its a bit of preference. I do think technically, the Amperior has a better  high-end and low-end frequency extension. It also is clearer and less distorted. The highs on the Amperior could be harsh to some, and they initially were when I got mine, but has smoothed out. The high end helps with a number of recordings and just gives them that 'sizzle' on the top end. Same thoughts as I had last year, and I've had the luxury to try out and own some higher end headphones since.

For the HD-25, though quite different sound than the Amperior, they are still family. They have a more even or 'neutralish' presentation. Comfort, both are similar and the pads make a difference like you've noted. The Amperior feels like a nice upgrade, a bit more premium. As far as parts, all of them are interchangeable. You can always get HD25 or HD600/650 cables to fit with the Amperior. The one big question is the Amperior driver. It isn't the same as the HD25, and isn't the same as just 'EQing' the HD25 driver to be brighter and bassier. 

Really interested in hearing the new HD25 Aluminum. I'm interested in how much difference the cups have made as I imagine the HD25 drivers are still the same (unless Sennheiser has changed them in the past decade or so). If the HD25 had some of the traits of the Amperior with its clarity in the low end, I'd be very happy with them. I guess I should have kept my HD25s around to experiment, but they are on potential permanent loan to my bro.

Good luck with whatever you get. It's worth trying other headphones out. You can always come back to the venerable HD25 at a later date, they are bound to be a success for a while.

Hello my dear friend Malfunkt.... :grinning:

Long time no see... Ita very good to read your coments again. :grinning:

About the hd25 vs amperior.... Yes i sold both but for different reasons....
I loved and still do love the hd25. They eere in very good condition but they had no box, no purchase papers, no extra velour pads nothing.... Therefore when someone made me an offer for 130 euros for my hd25s and when a brand new pair costs 140 i thought to myself, lets sell, see how much i miss it and if i do miss them that much for only 10 euros more i could get this headphone i aleays loved but this time brande new, with all the provided accessories and 2 years warranty.... It may sound a bit stupid i know..... :grinning:

The amperior.... I sold them yesterday.... Got them a year ago for 95 euros.... Sold them for 150..... :grinning:
I never really loved them as much as the hd25s to be honest.... The heavier cups and the velour pads never were close to the amazing fit of the hd25s with the pleatherete pads and overall, IMO , although the sound is harsher on the hd25 and maybe a tiny bit graninier, overall it suited my tastes much more because its extra mids and treble simply made the hd25 a more exciting and engaging experience to my ears. In my opinion they kind of screwd the hd25 sound sig on the amperior.... By smoothing out the mids and highs and by enhancing the bass, in my opinion they made the amperior a slower, sloppier, muddier, sounding headphone than the hd25. To be honest although grainier i still think the hd25 sounds clearer than the amperior. Of course the amperiors were easy to drive and had a tiny bit more fuller sound but i still loved the hd25 sound more from top to bottom. Also the hd25 is much more eq friendly. Has i said earlier i can make the hd25 sound close to the amperior, but i cant do the reverse with the amperior sound sig.
In terms of durability i thimk the amperior is an amazing headphone but i am pretty sure it will be easier and cheaper to mod a hd25 in the future while parts for the amperior and hd25 alu will always be harder to finf and much more expensive.

About the m50x.... I already tied it.... Liked it (pads are much better than the previous m50 without the x) but although a great all rounder i still think the m50 or m50x does not have as good mids as the hd25s (voices sound more upfront and clearer to me on the hd25) and also the treble has a plasticky and not as natural feeling as on the hd25s.

I was thinking of buying the hd25 (140 euros) and buy the m50x (135 euros) because both are very good, i would have a pair of amazing on and over ears and their future is promissing in terms of durability due to easy replacement parts and cables.

I am curious about the new over ear momentum 2.0 but only those cost as much as both the m50x and hd25 together.... Maybe half a year from now who knows.... Maybe the price will drop.... The hd25s and m50x aleays have godd resell value as well so they are always easy sell later.

I never tried a beyer unfortunatelly... I am interested about the 80 ohm one but the 32, 80 and 250ohm version are too expensive nowadays.... They used to sell for 125 and now they are aleays between 148 and 155.

I have a good proposal on a pair of 250ohm ones.... A guy here in portugal is willing to sell me a mint pair with still 1 year warranty for 80 euros but the problem that its a complete shot in the dark since i never tried a beyer ever and also being a 250ohm version i will have to get a amp ASAP. Its hard to understand the reviews.... Overall the 80ohm and 250ohm version seem to sound the same with only slight differneces on the bass (the 80oh, as a tiny bit more bass) and on the mids and treble (the 250ohm one semm to have better but at the same time more agressive mids and highs)..... And the 80ohms are easiier to drive from portables of course.

On one hand i am tempted but on the other i dont know..... I could always get the 3,... The hd25 and m50x are always safe choices.... Now the beyer i dont know.... Being a 250 ohm version i dont know if i will be able to get my 80 euros back,,,,

Funny thing is.... It seems that the 80ohm version is the most beloved version here on head fi.... But when checking stores sales the 250ohm version seems to be the one that always sells more....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back