Review: Rockhopper Audio M3
May 24, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 36
thanks for a great review,
have you tried it as a preamp yet? i see this design has output rcas, plus the input select would be a great feature for that.

ive been wanting to build one of these, now i might actually have to shift priority with some funds to make it happen asap.

May 25, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 36
First, congratulations in having that so beauty amp. Hope you are enjoying the sound of that piece of art.
Second, Lately, I am learning about the M3 and I also congratulate the M3 team. I am not an expert in DYI design but I have some concerns.

I am concerned about 3 cables that I think are the line-out (+, -, grd) to the headphones. These cables are routed thru the caps. Caps get hot aren’t they? Those 3 cables can be routed differently?. If caps get hot, those 3 cables will eventually get toasted or broken?. Just a brain storm in my head right now, tending to hurricane warning.
Here are the cables I am talking about:

m3.jpg

May 25, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #20 of 36
The caps don't get hot or even warm for that matter. I suppose you could use more wiring and route them differently if you wanted to but I don't really see a need for it.

May 25, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
[snip]I am concerned about 3 cables that I think are the line-out (+, -, grd) to the headphones. These cables are routed thru the caps. Caps get hot aren’t they? Those 3 cables can be routed differently?. If caps get hot, those 3 cables will eventually get toasted or broken?.[/snip]

I'm no engineer, so I don't have that much experience with the non-idealities of circuit elements, but capacitors aren't supposed to be dissapative. If those are, indeed, high-quality caps, I'd expect them to behave like capacitors.

Besides, if they ever got hot enough to melt plastic, you wouldn't expect them to be wrapped in plastic, would you?

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 36
tkam, nice amp!

Is there the benefit of using the Solen Caps for the Bass Boost verse the recommended cap?

From the pictures it looks like the Solen cap is a .33uf/630v?

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypetermen
Is there the benefit of using the Solen Caps for the Bass Boost verse the recommended cap?

From the pictures it looks like the Solen cap is a .33uf/630v?

In my Rockhopper M3, the Wima cap in the bass boost appeared to be a source of grain. Thrice eliminated the bass boost completely, and the amp is smoother. IMO the best cap in the bass boost is none at all...

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
In my Rockhopper M3, the Wima cap in the bass boost appeared to be a source of grain. Thrice eliminated the bass boost completely, and the amp is smoother. IMO the best cap in the bass boost is none at all...

Based on my conversations with him, the Solen caps have been working better, though he still doesn't care for bass boost personally. I ordered it with, we'll see how it goes I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #29 of 36
who do I contact for Rockhopper M3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back