Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker – Plus Headquarters Tour
Nov 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #136 of 234
Welcome to the thread, @jh20001, and glad you like the TURBO X!  I've been listening to it since I've owned it, and still does not cease to sound amazing.  Just saw Inside Out on my computer/server, TV and RIVA hooked up...seriously good times.  Pixar does like to make their childrens films very adult-themed though, my goodness! 

Enjoy your TURBO X! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #137 of 234
  Welcome to the thread, @jh20001, and glad you like the TURBO X!  I've been listening to it since I've owned it, and still does not cease to sound amazing.  Just saw Inside Out on my computer/server, TV and RIVA hooked up...seriously good times.  Pixar does like to make their childrens films very adult-themed though, my goodness! 

Enjoy your TURBO X! 
beerchug.gif

I haven't seen that one just yet. You mean no ore innocent Toy Stories? haha. I planned on watching it with my little siblings when they come to visit. I always try to have one of the latest family genre movies on standby for them since my folks can be a little...obsessive about keeping them smothered away from just about everything in the world. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #138 of 234

I haven't seen that one just yet. You mean no ore innocent Toy Stories? haha. I planned on watching it with my little siblings when they come to visit. I always try to have one of the latest family genre movies on standby for them since my folks can be a little...obsessive about keeping them smothered away from just about everything in the world. 

It's a good movie, but wow.   Don't want to give anything up, but it's worth the time to watch it.  Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (1 and 2) are good family genre movies as well.  And anything with explosions, etc. sounds amazeballs on the TURBO X. 
floatsmile.png

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #139 of 234
I think that the onyx has domr kind of distortion too.... I had one and even at half volume if the low end wa too demanding the front speakers seemed to rattle a bit....

Have u ever compared the onyx to the onyx 2 and the jbl xtreme?

What are the differences between the onyx 1 and 2... Besides the mic and the rubber finnish on the back, the internals and soind quality are exactly the same?

Cheers....

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #140 of 234
can i ask, i leased a car and i can not install a car audio system, how would the riva turbo x sound in a car

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #141 of 234
  can i ask, i leased a car and i can not install a car audio system, how would the riva turbo x sound in a car

It depends since every car model is different and will sound different with the TURBO X in there.

At least in my friend's Ford Flex, my TURBO X sounded really good in there - it can get very loud in such a small space, no doubt about that.

Just make sure the TURBO X is in a secure location!

Are you looking to purchase a TURBO X?

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #142 of 234

It depends since every car model is different and will sound different with the TURBO X in there.

At least in my friend's Ford Flex, my TURBO X sounded really good in there - it can get very loud in such a small space, no doubt about that.

Just make sure the TURBO X is in a secure location!

Are you looking to purchase a TURBO X?

actually yes i am, but i need to know how the bass would be in a car like a toyota rav4, loud is one thing but does it give a good sq

i have the jbl flip 2 and it sounds bad in my car

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #143 of 234
  actually yes i am, but i need to know how the bass would be in a car like a toyota rav4, loud is one thing but does it give a good sq

i have the jbl flip 2 and it sounds bad in my car

Bass should be pretty good, however, not as visceral as a dedicated vehicle-installed subwoofer (I have had several installed in my vehicle, for reference).

You can purchase the TURBO X, try it in your RAV 4, and if it is not sufficient for your wants and/or needs, you can return for a full refund within 90 days.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #144 of 234

Bass should be pretty good, however, not as visceral as a dedicated vehicle-installed subwoofer (I have had several installed in my vehicle, for reference).

You can purchase the TURBO X, try it in your RAV 4, and if it is not sufficient for your wants and/or needs, you can return for a full refund within 90 days.

so is it a real jump from the jbl flip2 to the riva

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #145 of 234
  so is it a real jump from the jbl flip2 to the riva

"Real jump" can mean anything and interpreted in a plethora of ways.  It is up to you, and you only, to find out for yourself if the TURBO X is a "real jump" from the JBL Flip 2.

Let us know how you like it compared to the Flip 2 once you purchase the TUBRO X and compare the two!

Thanks in advance.
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #146 of 234

Enjoy your TURBO X! 
beerchug.gif

Actually, when I watch some of Pixar films with my 11 year old, I notice the adult themes that run throughout the movies.  I think most of the comments go over her head, although less of them than I probably think. 

I do have a question about the Turbo X.   In one of the reviews I read on Head-fi by Twister6, he references that the RVIA as an inside speaker and I am not quite certain why.  Have you used it outdoors and is there an issue with it outside?  I kind of wondered if it was because the unit is not multidirectional like the UE Boom or because it needed to "bounce off walls" to give you the surround sound that you would like listening to movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I own the UE Boom (which is fixed now in my teenage daughters room), and the Harmon Kardon Onyx (in my son's college room), as well as a handful of less expensive (cheap) purchases that I would sample as I travel.  Taking audio quality aside, I enjoy the HK a little more inside, because it is not multidirectional, whereas the UE seems to work much better outside and near the pool.

My kids have started to watch movies outside with their friends, projecting the movie from a Pico Projector broadcasting the sound through the UE Boom.  When there are a number of kids and you have to set the UE back 15' or more, I have noticed the clarity of the sound wanes.  I was hoping to upgrade to a louder speaker next week and I have been watching the reviews on the RTX for some time.  If I cannot use the RTX outside or there are problems outside, it may color my purchase.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #147 of 234

Actually, when I watch some of Pixar films with my 11 year old, I notice the adult themes that run throughout the movies.  I think most of the comments go over her head, although less of them than I probably think. 

I do have a question about the Turbo X.   In one of the reviews I read on Head-fi by Twister6, he references that the RVIA as an inside speaker and I am not quite certain why.  Have you used it outdoors and is there an issue with it outside?  I kind of wondered if it was because the unit is not multidirectional like the UE Boom or because it needed to "bounce off walls" to give you the surround sound that you would like listening to movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I own the UE Boom (which is fixed now in my teenage daughters room), and the Harmon Kardon Onyx (in my son's college room), as well as a handful of less expensive (cheap) purchases that I would sample as I travel.  Taking audio quality aside, I enjoy the HK a little more inside, because it is not multidirectional, whereas the UE seems to work much better outside and near the pool.

My kids have started to watch movies outside with their friends, projecting the movie from a Pico Projector broadcasting the sound through the UE Boom.  When there are a number of kids and you have to set the UE back 15' or more, I have noticed the clarity of the sound wanes.  I was hoping to upgrade to a louder speaker next week and I have been watching the reviews on the RTX for some time.  If I cannot use the RTX outside or there are problems outside, it may color my purchase.

I've used the TURBO X outdoors, but mostly as a boom box (inside of my workout bag) while I walk from workout location to my car - otherwise, I use it at indoor places such as my living quarters, houses, Head-Fi-type meets and large wrestling rooms.  All locations sound exemplary to me.  The TURBO X is multi-directional; there are speakers in the front, back and sides of the unit.  You can purchase the TURBO X, try it out inside and also outside to watch the movies.  If the TURBO X suits everyone's wants and needs, awesome.  If not, RIVA offers a 90 day no questions asked money-back guarantee.  Let us know how you like the TURBO X if and when you purchase it!

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #148 of 234
I've used the TURBO X outdoors, but mostly as a boom box (inside of my workout bag) while I walk from workout location to my car - otherwise, I use it at indoor places such as my living quarters, houses, Head-Fi-type meets and large wrestling rooms.  All locations sound exemplary to me.  The TURBO X is multi-directional; there are speakers in the front, back and sides of the unit.  You can purchase the TURBO X, try it out inside and also outside to watch the movies.  If the TURBO X suits everyone's wants and needs, awesome.  If not, RIVA offers a 90 day no questions asked money-back guarantee.  Let us know how you like the TURBO X if and when you purchase it!

I will. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger. I am doing a last minute search on the Peachtree Audio Deepblue2. You can make yourself crazy comparing a few different options on Head-fi.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #149 of 234
DaddyMojo,
I own both the Riva and the DeepBlue2.

Regarding their form factors....

These are vastly different from one another, for example the Riva is battery powered and transportable. The DP2 is moveable in that one can move it to different rooms in your house, but it is huge and heavy and still needs to be plugged in. The DB2's bass driver is 6 inches IIRC.non comparison to a full stereo system.... It is an excellent single box for the living room with excellent wife-acceptance factor as long as you can hide the power cable.

The Riva I move around, even within a room to optimize based upon where I happen to be sitting; you won't be doing that with the DP2. I believe also the DP2 benefits from a. Larger room given its size compared to the Riva.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #150 of 234
DaddyMojo,
I own both the Riva and the DeepBlue2.

Regarding their form factors....

These are vastly different from one another, for example the Riva is battery powered and transportable. The DP2 is moveable I that one can move it to different rooms in your house, but it is huge and heavy and still needs to be plugged in. The DB2's bass driver is 6 inches IIRC.non comparison to a full stereo system.... It is an excellent single box for the living room with excellent wife-acceptance factor as long as you can hide the power cable.

The Riva I move around, even within a room to optimize based upon where I happen to be sitting; you won't be doing that with the DP2. I believe also the DP2 benefits from a. Larger room given its size compared to the Riva.

Yes, I have been eyeing the Riva for some time now. I read some of the reviews and Jude's comments in the Buying Guide and I was ready to go ...and then I scrolled down the Buying Guide and saw the Peachtree. You know, you can make yourself crazy reading about all the different products. And when I compare the Riva output to the Peachtrees 440 Watt and multiple speaker drivers, it does make me wonder.

But 100%, I will be using it in a portable fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back