Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker – Plus Headquarters Tour
Apr 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #31 of 234
Just received mine. It sounds great. I've hooked it up to an iPhone via Bluetooth, iPod by wire, and MBP outputting to a Fulla. Pretty impressive little box. I bought one of those little Bose for travel. The Riva whips it in all respects.

Nice! Which iPhone and iPod did you use to connect the Turbo X, and which connection sounded "better" to your ears?

May 3, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #32 of 234
I've been on the fence for several months about slowly starting a Sonos collection until I randomly saw moedawg140's review on the Head-Fi homepage.  Now I've just ordered a Turbo X and am not giving any more thought to Sonos.

Can't wait to hear the Turbo X.

May 4, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #33 of 234
OK.  Thanks to moedawg being so excited about this thing and bringing to the Bay Area Mini-Meet, I heard it.  And need to buy one.  Dang, it was impressive!  And I'm gonna get that case too.  This thing is the smallest, with the biggest sound that I have heard so far.

May 4, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #34 of 234
I've been on the fence for several months about slowly starting a Sonos collection until I randomly saw moedawg140's review on the Head-Fi homepage.  Now I've just ordered a Turbo X and am not giving any more thought to Sonos.

Can't wait to hear the Turbo X.

Congrats to you! Let me know if you have any questions or inquiries as well in case something may not have been covered for you.

I listened to the Sonos with 3 drivers ($299.99) and the 5 driver ($399.99) models tonight. They sounded okay, but slightly sibilant compared to the easier-on-the-ears treble and fuller sound of the Turbo X.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions of your Turbo X once you get to listen to it.

OK.  Thanks to moedawg being so excited about this thing and bringing to the Bay Area Mini-Meet, I heard it.  And need to buy one.  Dang, it was impressive!  And I'm gonna get that case too.  This thing is the smallest, with the biggest sound that I have heard so far.

Hey CEE TEE, it was awesome meeting you - glad I ran into you in the main room. It was my pleasure to bring the Turbo X from So Cal to Nor Cal! I'm glad you got to hear it - you seemed to really like it. I like playing some toe-tapping songs, but in the speaker room (then delegated to IEM room), I played a slow, meticulously presented song, and it was so invigorating and supremely detailed yet blissful to listen, that it just made me go "mm, mm, mmmm" and the others that heard the same song were simply speechless - eyebrows were definitely raised.

Hopefully I'll meet up with you again at the next SF meet in July!

May 4, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 234
Does anyone know if there is a bluetooth transmitter device that I can plug into the audio output of my TV and use it with the Riva Turbo?

If Donald is watching…do you know of any that will work well?

Thanks in advance 
smile.gif

May 4, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #36 of 234
Here is another detailed review of the RIVA Turbo X from me:

http://oluvsgadgets.blogspot.com/2015/05/review-riva-turbo-x.html

I also prepared some binaural sound comparisons to several different portable speakers, which you can watch on Youtube.

While I think the Turbo X to be pretty decent sounding, it doesn't quite come close to the Sonos Play:1 which sounds simply heavier, clearer and flatter at the same time. The Turbo X has some colorations in the lower treble region, and is missing the bass impact of the smaller Sonos, but of course the Play:1 is not  portable so not quite comparable. The biggest problem for me is that the Turbo X is definitely missing some upper treble. The roll-off is already starting at 8khz.

Although it sounds pretty good at high levels, at low levels it tends to have quite a tinny character. There is no kind of loudness compensation like on many similar models, and I would even choose the much smaller Denon Envaya Mini over the Turbo X if low level listening was my main intent.

Feel free to ask for any questions.

May 4, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #37 of 234

I also prepared some binaural sound comparisons to several different portable speakers, which you can watch on Youtube.

While I think the Turbo X to be pretty decent sounding, it doesn't quite come close to the Sonos Play:1 which sounds simply heavier, clearer and flatter at the same time. The Turbo X has some colorations in the lower treble region, and is missing the bass impact of the smaller Sonos, but of course the Play:1 is not  portable so not quite comparable. The biggest problem for me is that the Turbo X is definitely missing some upper treble. The roll-off is already starting at 8khz.

Although it sounds pretty good at high levels, at low levels it tends to have quite a tinny character. There is no kind of loudness compensation like on many similar models, and I would even choose the much smaller Denon Envaya Mini over the Turbo X if low level listening was my main intent.

I am also interested in the Sonos line, just because the portable units have a certain muddiness or slight distortion, even in the high end units.  So I am interested to better understand the issue with upper treble roll-off.  I am not sure I am familiar with what that means, although I read it from time to time in head-fi comments.  I normally purchase new gear in the summer, so the Riva Turbo X is on my short list.

However, I do understand your comments on volume and listening levels and that has not varied from wired speakers from the 70's until today.  Great comments overall, although they clearly differ from the original post, which we all know that the listening experience is subjective and each party hears things differently.  I also like that someone is not just reposting what was written, which is the reason that some call head-fi....hype-fi.

I am hoping that if Danzerfong decides to purchase, he will post some comments here as well.

May 4, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #38 of 234
  I am also interested in the Sonos line, just because the portable units have a certain muddiness or slight distortion, even in the high end units.  So I am interested to better understand the issue with upper treble roll-off.  I am not sure I am familiar with what that means, although I read it from time to time in head-fi comments.  I normally purchase new gear in the summer, so the Riva Turbo X is on my short list.

However, I do understand your comments on volume and listening levels and that has not varied from wired speakers from the 70's until today.  Great comments overall, although they clearly differ from the original post, which we all know that the listening experience is subjective and each party hears things differently.  I also like that someone is not just reposting what was written, which is the reason that some call head-fi....hype-fi.

I am hoping that if Danzerfong decides to purchase, he will post some comments here as well.

Ain't gonna happen for a while mate, so you're better off asking others. That being said, I really hope it's not hype that's distorting the impressions so far, coz it sounds perfect to my needs so far.

May 4, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #39 of 234
For anybody who got Turbo X, their carry bag is a must have accessory!!!

A form-fitting design with a nicely padded soft velvet interior, tough nylon exterior, outside pocket, and a comfortable handle : http://shop.rivaaudio.com/dp/B00VMSXRWW#.VUeog5Oy4bs

May 5, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #40 of 234
  Does anyone know if there is a bluetooth transmitter device that I can plug into the audio output of my TV and use it with the Riva Turbo?

If Donald is watching…do you know of any that will work well?

Thanks in advance 
smile.gif

I was told that there is a Sony Bluetooth transmitter/receiver available but may have some lip sync issues when used with a TV.  I would advise PMing Donald regarding any other Bluetooth inquiries. 
normal_smile .gif

Ain't gonna happen for a while mate, so you're better off asking others. That being said, I really hope it's not hype that's distorting the impressions so far, coz it sounds perfect to my needs so far.

Regarding the Sonos Play 1 and comparing it to the Turbo X, I was explained from RIVA,  "While this is an interesting comparison, people need to remember that the Sonos Play 1 is a mono speaker, not stereo, and thus cannot produce a stereo image. The Turbo X features our Trillium stereo processing and can produce a stereo image in room which dramatically adds to the listener enjoyment."

As for "Head-Fi...Hype-Fi", "hope it's not hype...", what is great about this particular product is that the product speaks for itself.  I made sure to let people know that a lot of people heard the sound of the Turbo X and really liked it.  You can check the CanJam Impressions posts, and the SF Mini Meet Impressions posts here on Head-Fi - also you can simply search and read the amount of positive reviews on Amazon as well. 

Listening to the Turbo X is the most optimal way to negate the naysayers, frequency response posters and competitor posts (where the competing product aren't even in stereo) because you were able to come the conclusion that the Turbo X sounds amazing - yourself.

May 5, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #41 of 234
Listening to the Turbo X is the most optimal way to negate the naysayers, frequency response posters and competitor posts (where the competing product aren't even in stereo) because you were able to come the conclusion that the Turbo X sounds amazing - yourself.

so you mean I should have simply omitted the frequency response measurements, because the human ear is such an objective unbiased hearing device and changes its frequency response with loudness level and gets quickly used to particular sound colorations without having a direct reference...?

if you trust all those amazon reviewers, good for you. but looking at these wish-wash reviews where the reviewers tend to praise any crap especially those vine-club guys with their blah blah comments about sound quality etc, made me finally start my blog to offer really established information about portable speakers including real audio comparisons to alternative products as well as measurements. I have heard more than 100 of them from much more expensive ones to the cheap junk you can get for 19$.

I never said the Turbo X to be a bad speaker, on the contrary, but it is not the holy grail some are trying to make it appear. A single Sonos Play:1 is mono for sure, but add a second one and you have wireless stereo for just 50$ more, and a pair of Play:1 will sound considerably more Hifi than the Riva Turbo X, but not being portable at all, therefore the Turbo X still stands its ground. Depite "Trillium"-tech the Turbo X won't give you any real stereo separation, it is definitely better than many other single-cabinet speakers, but don't expect any miracle or the same imaging you will get from 2 separate speakers put up 1 meter apart. Try Pink Floyd's "Money", and although there is some slight left/right effect with the coin-sounds at the very beginning, it is far not as pronounced as you would usually get it when listened through a real stereo-setup.

My biggest complaint about the Turbo X is missing treble and tinny sound at low levels. Tinny sound at low levels is not the speaker's fault, but rather the human ear's, but it could have been easily compensated by some loudness algorithm. But the lack of treble is bothering more, I still hear well up to 18khz and there is nothing coming out of the Turbo X above 14khz. Some people might have some stronger roll-off already earlier, this is a headphone-forum, and headphone-guys tend to listen to their cans too loud most of the time, therefore it doesn't wonder me if someone doesn't notice any lack of treble at all.

I think it is time to say goodbye for me here, as I would like to avoid any religious wars.

Happy listening!

May 5, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #42 of 234

so you mean I should have simply omitted the frequency response measurements, because the human ear is such an objective unbiased hearing device and changes its frequency response with loudness level and gets quickly used to particular sound colorations without having a direct reference...?

if you trust all those amazon reviewers, good for you. but looking at these wish-wash reviews where the reviewers tend to praise any crap especially those vine-club guys with their blah blah comments about sound quality etc, made me finally start my blog to offer really established information about portable speakers including real audio comparisons to alternative products as well as measurements. I have heard more than 100 of them from much more expensive ones to the cheap junk you can get for 19$.

I never said the Turbo X to be a bad speaker, on the contrary, but it is not the holy grail some are trying to make it appear. A single Sonos Play:1 is mono for sure, but add a second one and you have wireless stereo for just 50$ more, and a pair of Play:1 will sound considerably more Hifi than the Riva Turbo X, but not being portable at all, therefore the Turbo X still stands its ground. Depite "Trillium"-tech the Turbo X won't give you any real stereo separation, it is definitely better than many other single-cabinet speakers, but don't expect any miracle or the same imaging you will get from 2 separate speakers put up 1 meter apart. Try Pink Floyd's "Money", and although there is some slight left/right effect with the coin-sounds at the very beginning, it is far not as pronounced as you would usually get it when listened through a real stereo-setup.

My biggest complaint about the Turbo X is missing treble and tinny sound at low levels. Tinny sound at low levels is not the speaker's fault, but rather the human ear's, but it could have been easily compensated by some loudness algorithm. But the lack of treble is bothering more, I still hear well up to 18khz and there is nothing coming out of the Turbo X above 14khz. Some people might have some stronger roll-off already earlier, this is a headphone-forum, and headphone-guys tend to listen to their cans too loud most of the time, therefore it doesn't wonder me if someone doesn't notice any lack of treble at all.

I think it is time to say goodbye for me here, as I would like to avoid any religious wars.

Happy listening!

Wow, you can hear up to 18 kHz. You must be very young! Though, don't presume headphone guys listen loudly. That hurts our feelings, especially when you insinuate we have hearing loss. :)

To be fair though, no-one really expected the stereo setup to wipe the floor. I mean, in the end of the day, it's still a single unit: we'd nowhere near that level of separation. Onto your notion of loudness algorithms, that's how the loudness wars started, so I'd rather we avoid that in the future.

May 5, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #43 of 234
I am not quite sure what "loudness wars" have in common with compensation of equal loudness contours, which is what I was referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

And no, I am not young, I am 40, but I have spared my hearing quite a bit and hardly visited any rock-concerts, and those I visited were much too loud for my liking. When I was still in my twenties, I could easily hear above 20khz and noticed high-frequency hiss on many commercial recordings that was pretty annyoing, but meanwhile I don't hear it anymore.

I am currently preparing a speaker audio database, it will become online in the next weeks. I will add any speaker that I can get into my hands. All speakers will be recorded binaurally with matched levels and the same setup etc. I pay lots of attention for a flat frequency response of my mics, and do some EQ-tweaking afterwards to get the audio as close to reality as possible with my modest setup (I cannot afford a Kunstkopf for 8000$ right now). But when listened with some flat tuned headphones, you should get a pretty good idea how the speakers sound in reality. Of course this is just an approximation, but it is still impressive if you can switch between dozens different models at once and hear the change in sound immediately. Of course the Turbo X will be included as well, among many other speakers from Bose, B&O or whatever, so stay tuned until it is finished. This video of an early prototype should give you an idea about the functionality:
https://youtu.be/EH0lkHoCRsI

May 5, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #44 of 234

I hear you and agree with you.  I have bought a number of Bluetooth speakers for my kids, but this one has "Daddy" written all over it.

May 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #45 of 234

I was told that there is a Sony Bluetooth transmitter/receiver available but may have some lip sync issues when used with a TV.  I would advise PMing Donald regarding any other Bluetooth inquiries. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Regarding the Sonos Play 1 and comparing it to the Turbo X, I was explained from RIVA,  "While this is an interesting comparison, people need to remember that the Sonos Play 1 is a mono speaker, not stereo, and thus cannot produce a stereo image. The Turbo X features our Trillium stereo processing and can produce a stereo image in room which dramatically adds to the listener enjoyment."

As for "Head-Fi...Hype-Fi", "hope it's not hype...", what is great about this particular product is that the product speaks for itself.  I made sure to let people know that a lot of people heard the sound of the Turbo X and really liked it.  You can check the CanJam Impressions posts, and the SF Mini Meet Impressions posts here on Head-Fi - also you can simply search and read the amount of positive reviews on Amazon as well.

Moedawg:

Thank you for the additional clarification on the Sonos product, that makes a lot of sense and  I agree, the product should sell itself.  However, sometimes I cannot get a ear to listen to some products that I would enjoy hearing before I purchased.  Locally, I am limited to the Apple Store and Best Buy and there is not another decent store or convention that comes near North Florida.  So I live and breath reviews and comments, both negative and positive, so I can clarify what is best for me.  I do read Amazon comments as well, but I take them with a grain of sale and but review comments on head-fi a lot more.  I have also found that when people describe what type of music they listen to (or test) gives me an indication of the type of things they value as each genre has different characteristics.

So I hope you did not take any of my comments in the negative, I appreciate them all.  So thank you for your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back