Review: RHA MA-750 (one of the best sub $200 IEM's around)
Nov 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
RHA MA-750 review

Firstly I would like to thank RHA for sending me this sample to review, I will write as honest a review possible. These received over 50hrs of burn-in, no major differences were noted.

Gear Used:
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > MA-750 (clear bi-flange tips)

Technical specifications:
Driver - Dynamic
Frequency range - 16Hz - 22kHz
Impedance - 16ohms
Sensitivity - 100dB
Cable length - 1.35m

Packaging, Accessories and Build quality:
Packaging is simple, black box with a picture of the IEM's on the front, there is a tab that opens to show you the IEM's and all the tips through a plastic window. The IEM's are securely fixed in a plastic in tray. Underneath this you will find the carry case. Information and specifications can be found on the back of the box, and also on the inside of the front flap. These come with a 3 year warranty.

Accessories included are great, you get a wide array of tips included, and a carry case. Included are 2 pairs of S, M and L single flange silicone tips, 1 pair of S bi-flanges, 1 pair of M bi-flanges and 2 pairs of M foam tips. Very good array and quantity of tips to ensure all will get a good fit.

Build quality is top notch, stainless steel housings feel durable, with a thicker than normal cable, and excellent spring strain relief on the jack. These feel like they will last a long time, all strain reliefs are strong, the y-split and jack are stainless steel too, very well built.

Comfort, Isolation, Driver-Flex and Cable noise:
Comfort is excellent once you find the right tip and insertion depth, I like the small bi-flange tips as it gives me a great deep seal and the monitors sit fairly flush with my ears. The memory wire section is not stiff like most, it is soft rubber and has no wire inside so you cannot form it, but I find this much more comfortable and stronger.

Isolation depends on the tips you use, using the bi-flanges I get good isolation even though they are vented housings. Great for everyday use.

Driver flex is not present luckily.

Cable noise is not a problem as the cable goes behind your ear, but using the chin slider will get rid of any slack and potential cable noise.

Sound:
Split in to the usual categories

Lows: nice full bodied lows, lots of power and energy but with good control not warming the mids up. The lows have great extension and presence without being overwhelming, I would say that a little less quantity wouldn't hurt but as they are, they fair very well and are fun and pleasurable to listen to. The speed is very good however and they manage to keep up with fast music with ease. Very dynamic and articulate bass with good separation too, kick drums have great body and sound very realistic, bass guitars have perfect decay.

Mids: in quantity they are slightly behind the lows, but are not recessed, they are very natural sounding. These IEM's have a slightly thick sound, but the mids are not affected by this, sounding very clean and detailed. When multiple vocals are recorded you can hear each voice well separated. Vocals have no sibilance or harshness to them, and guitars retain great power and control.

Highs: the highs lack some presence, but what they lack in presence they make up for in control and detail. The highs are very crisp and controlled never becoming splashy, also the highs are well placed within the soundstage. You can EQ the highs up a little with good effect but I rarely use EQ. There is not a lot to say about the highs, they are detailed but don't have enough presence for my tastes, and the sound ends up sounding a little dark.

Soundstage is wider than average, and they give you a good sense of space.
Instrument separation is also above average with a well controlled sound and everything is easily separated.
Imaging is very good also, being very precise and coherent.

Overall a very good IEM for the price, it is definitely one of my favourite sub $200 IEM's, it has a slightly fun but natural sound, add to that great comfort and build quality you have a winner. They are slightly on the darker side of sound, but have enough detail to keep things interesting. I really enjoy this IEM when out and about.

Sound perfection rating: 8/10

Thanks for reading

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHA-MA750-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00ELAM8LE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1384796092&sr=8-8&keywords=RHA

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 106
Thanks, I try to write informative, detailed but concise reviews :)

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 106
Isolation is good for a vented IEM, and should be fine on flights. Also on flights the lows would be the first to go, and the extra low end is perfect as they will sound balanced with a bit of outside noise.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 106
Nice review!! How would these compare to the Etymotic HF5 if you have tried them? 

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 106
Completely different to the HF5. The HF5 lacks body but has good detail and speed. MA750 has really good body with just a little less detail. I found the HF5 to be too thin, MA750 is almost the opposite. The HF5 has better high end extension, the MA750 has better low end extension and presence, also has fuller mids.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 106
Completely different to the HF5. The HF5 lacks body but has good detail and speed. MA750 has really good body with just a little less detail. I found the HF5 to be too thin, MA750 is almost the opposite. The HF5 has better high end extension, the MA750 has better low end extension and presence, also has fuller mids.

Would you be able to recommend one or the other for the kind of music I listen to?  I listen to a lot of Alternative, Hip-hop, and Japanese Pop/Rock and like my highs much more than my lows.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 106
Dunu DN1000 has very good lows with mid and highs still very detailed and clean. Take a look into those.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 106
Well written review.  

My ear are similar to yours, it seems.  I find the RHA's mids and highs to be too subdued without EQ, with the bass extending well but not as impactful as I would like it to be.  Overall not really my preferred signature.  I EQed them a bit and now they're much more tolerable.  I honestly was so taken back by the veiled mids that I almost dumped them right off the bat.  I am also getting driver flex in both housings.  

In all honesty, I think (purely SS-wise) that the MP9927's sound better and have a much crisper, flatter response.

I have not compared imaging or staging between the two.  Build/accessories-wise, the RHAs are obviously superior.

If MP or took those drivers and dropped them into a quality shell (like, say, the MA750 shell) with a good cable they'd be golden.   

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 106
Nope, didn't have these up for sale, like em too much.

Can't really compare to SE215 as I haven't heard the SE215 in a long time.

I'm going to get some Custom Sleeves from Snugs soon, will try them on these.

They do sound a bit better with eq, but I didn't find the mids very veiled, more the highs subdued.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 106
Nope, didn't have these up for sale, like em too much.

Can't really compare to SE215 as I haven't heard the SE215 in a long time.

I'm going to get some Custom Sleeves from Snugs soon, will try them on these.

They do sound a bit better with eq, but I didn't find the mids very veiled, more the highs subdued.

If you say so....

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 106
I backed out mate. Already been warned, no more review samples are being sold by me.

I dont want to be banned for selling review samples or for making it look like I write paid reviews (like another member), I have a full time job now so I no longer need the money.

This review is based on my own subjective opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back