Review: RHA MA-750 (one of the best sub $200 IEM's around)
Dec 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #31 of 106
You can really read all you want and hypothesize about what a phone will sound like, but it probably won't end up sounding anything like you expected anyway.  If you have nothing to compare them to, just get them and be happy.  Once you use them for a while and recognize possible deficiencies, then you can think about other phones.  

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #32 of 106
I've been looking for a $200 IEM to replace my Audio Technica CK500s that failed recently.  I got three pair of phones from Amazon to compare.  I got the Vsonic GR07 BE, the Audio Technica CK1000, and the RHA 750i.  

I like a gently V shaped sound, maybe U shaped is a better description, strong bass, transparency, clear vocal, and sparkling highs.  The RHA 750s were for me much much better than the others.  Once broken in they have an amazing transparency, detail, wider soundstage, very clear and enjoyable highs, great midrange, then there is the bass!  The bass is phenominal. Just enough juice to make music enjoyable but never overpowers the midrange.   It goes incredibly deep and is quite powerful at the lowest end too.  I had to dig up some music that has true low end, like the Sain Saens Symphony #2 with organ.  But it's there and some of the most powerful I have heard on a headphone.  They also sound great straight out of my iPhone 5.

To my ears the GR07 BE sounded muffled, closed in, small, the highs were too soft.  They had a much narrower soundstage, the bass was ok,, but totally outclassed by the RHA, and didn't go nearly as deep.

The CK1000 had what has been described on head-fi as sub-woofer bass. in that the bass sounded separate from the rest of the music and frequently stepped on the other frequencies.  The Audio Technica had an extremely colored sound that I couldn't live with.

In terms of style the RHA is the champ, they look awesome.  The GR07 didn't fit great in my ears either, I felt like they were ready to fall out all the time.  The CK1000s are shaped oddly with that extra chamber sticking off the back of the earbud, and I felt like it would be easy to crush them or break them ( I once stepped on and destroyed a pair of Sennheiser IE8s!).  

The RHA 750s have amazing build quality and I think they will survive my fitness regimen.  

My one issue with the 750s is that the right earbud does have driver flex when I put it in my ear. I wonder if I should be worried about that.  Doesn't happen with the left though.   Is driver flex bad?  does it shorten the life of the driver?

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #33 of 106
Driver flex shouldn't shorten the life of an IEM, so don't worry about it. Also you're backed with a great 3 year warranty if anything does happen .

Great to hear you're enjoying these, my girlfriend certainly is. And I must agree the fit and finish of these is perfect. Very well designed.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #34 of 106
Driver flex shouldn't shorten the life of an IEM, so don't worry about it. Also you're backed with a great 3 year warranty if anything does happen .

Great to hear you're enjoying these, my girlfriend certainly is. And I must agree the fit and finish of these is perfect. Very well designed.

Not proven to be true so please don't make statements unless you are sure of it. Driver flex could or could not shorten the life span of iems.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #35 of 106
Does anyone know what type of Comply foam tips fit these?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #36 of 106
The T-200 series fit them. I prefer silicone for these, as foam makes them too warm.

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #37 of 106
Thanks for the review ostewart. The build quality of these earphones is really outstanding and feels more than capable of surviving general daily use (coupled with the impressive 3yr warranty). Definitely feels more expensive than their current price point.

Only qualms I have are that there is some sibilance with female vocals and treble was slightly harsh with the stock silicone tips but this was improved greatly with the foam tips. There is also driver flex in my left earbud (seems to be a common issue for the MA750), slightly worrying but hopefully not detrimental to the lifespan.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #39 of 106
It really is great for the price. It does most genres good. The final audio design heaven II is technically superior but you need a better source and amp is best. The RHA don't need an amp, and they sound great with mp3 even.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #42 of 106
Hi Ostewart, great review - and your follow up conversations with people have been really helpful for my newb self.

I'm looking to get a sub $200 IEM. I listen to literally everything, from (tasteful) dubstep to classical. I want a great all around sound, though I do like a little extra splash of bass to give a chill on a nice drop every once in a while :wink:

How would you compare the midrange or overall sound of the RE-400 to the RHA MA-750?

From reading reviews on both, the RE-400s are praised for their overall clarity, but slight lack of bass presence, while the MA-750 is praised for the tasteful bass presence, while having a bit lower mid/high range quality?

Thanks, sir!

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #43 of 106
I have not heard the RE-400 so cannot comment, but I think the conclusion you came to from reading reviews is pretty much spot on.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #44 of 106
I'd never heard of these IEMs before until Joker recommended them as replacements for my breaking Atrio MG7s earlier today.  I see manugeorge also asking how they compare, so figure I'd post on this thread in case anyone else can chime in on how they stack up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back