Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Sep 7, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #886 of 911
Several months ago, I did get the 7.0.2d firmware update sent to me via email, and it fixed the problem with the missing start of tracks perfectly. However I'm somewhat surprised, at this rather late date, that the update has not yet been posted on the Resonessence website, although perhaps they are still concerned about people crashing their non-Pro dacs with the wrong firmware. I can't really comment on the Signature Pro version itself since I've been so satisfied with my "non-Signature" Mirus Pro that I haven't had the inclination to send my unit in for an update. As an aside, I just bought the new Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp to use with my Mirus Pro, and at least in my opinion, this combination is simply incredible -- very highly recommended! I think this particular combo has taken my own system to an even higher level...and this is compared to several other fine headamps, including GS-X MkII, Pass, Questyle. My experience with the HPA4 suggests that an amp upgrade might be the first step to take before considering a dac upgrade, especially if your dac is already performing at an extremely high level (such as the Mirus Pro).

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #887 of 911
DrTone can probably answer this in more detail than I can. I have only had somewhat limited experience with the Yggy Analog 2. In my system, I prefer the Mirus Pro Signature Edition for its superior transient attack, increased resolution, and more clear/well defined soundstage/imaging. To me, the Yggy A2 is a bit slower, thicker, and "rounded" sounding with respect to transients.

That said, I could absolutely assemble a system where the Schiit DAC was a better fit.

I have not heard the Denafrips in my own system so I don't have a clear picture of how it would stack up.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #888 of 911
DrTone can probably answer this in more detail than I can. I have only had somewhat limited experience with the Yggy Analog 2. In my system, I prefer the Mirus Pro Signature Edition for its superior transient attack, increased resolution, and more clear/well defined soundstage/imaging. To me, the Yggy A2 is a bit slower, thicker, and "rounded" sounding with respect to transients.

That said, I could absolutely assemble a system where the Schiit DAC was a better fit.

I have not heard the Denafrips in my own system so I don't have a clear picture of how it would stack up.

Everything @project86 indicated, I wouldn't disagree with. Blacker background, resolution/detail and soundstage width are the pluses I would mention for the Mirus Pro.

In my opinion the Yggdrasil A2 has better timbre, tonality and musical presentation/flow. It's highs are more relaxed which would be a system specific or personal good or bad. For me it's a plus as I'm a little treble sensitive.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #889 of 911
I'll agree with the above for the most part. Definitely more of a relaxed feel with the Yggdrasil Analog 2, which would be very beneficial in some instances and not so much in others. One could certainly argue that the Schiit is the better value.... the Mirus Pro ain't cheap.

I do feel the Mirus Pro Signature has more accurate timbre though. Never compared the "standard" non-sig version to the Yggdrasil Analog 2 so that could be the difference, or maybe we just have different takes on this one aspect.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #890 of 911
I do feel the Mirus Pro Signature has more accurate timbre though. Never compared the "standard" non-sig version to the Yggdrasil Analog 2 so that could be the difference, or maybe we just have different takes on this one aspect.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I play acoustic guitar and found the Yggdrasil to sound more accurate with the correct amount of texture and decay on recordings I've played back. I feel the filtering differences between the DACs might play a part in this. I could be tempted to say it is Sabre related but all my Sabre DACS also used the usual minimum/linear phase and apodizing reconstruction filters.

I like to explain it as the difference between coated and uncoated acoustic guitar strings. The Yggdrasil being the later.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #891 of 911
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I play acoustic guitar and found the Yggdrasil to sound more accurate with the correct amount of texture and decay on recordings I've played back. I feel the filtering differences between the DACs might play a part in this. I could be tempted to say it is Sabre related but all my Sabre DACS also used the usual minimum/linear phase and apodizing reconstruction filters.

I like to explain it as the difference between coated and uncoated acoustic guitar strings. The Yggdrasil being the later.

That's interesting. Possibly a matter of perspective... I'm a percussionist, and for me the Mirus Pro is more believable when it comes to capturing the tone of cymbals - the initial splash of the strike, followed by the shimmer and sparkle of the sustain, and the gradual fading away, all while other stuff is (usually) happening at the same time. Same with random things like the impact of a clave, or the drama from a set of roaring timpani drums, etc.

Seems like we are focused on different things. Or, as mentioned before, it may very well come down to associated gear in the chain. If I use a stock HD800 or Enigmacoustics Dharma, I might very well prefer the Ygdrassil for its fleshier tone.

Certainly the Schiit offers a ton of performance for the cost. No denying that at all.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #892 of 911
That's interesting. Possibly a matter of perspective... I'm a percussionist, and for me the Mirus Pro is more believable when it comes to capturing the tone of cymbals - the initial splash of the strike, followed by the shimmer and sparkle of the sustain, and the gradual fading away, all while other stuff is (usually) happening at the same time. Same with random things like the impact of a clave, or the drama from a set of roaring timpani drums, etc.

Seems like we are focused on different things. Or, as mentioned before, it may very well come down to associated gear in the chain. If I use a stock HD800 or Enigmacoustics Dharma, I might very well prefer the Ygdrassil for its fleshier tone.

Certainly the Schiit offers a ton of performance for the cost. No denying that at all.

We are definitely focused on different things and probably related to what we can hear well, HF isn't something I can hear as well anymore. The cymbals are up in my sensitive area so I don't doubt you.

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #893 of 911
Any news on updates to the firmware or other advancements? Seems all is quiet from Resonessence lately.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #894 of 911
As well has anyone talked to Resonessence about the new filters?

Are they all custom Resonessence or are the first 2 still done by the Sabre DAC? What does "Corrected" mean on that Minimum Phase filter?

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #895 of 911
Good questions. I've been meaning to ping them and see about all this stuff.

Last we spoke, Mark said the team was working on a streaming transport. I don't know much about it but am curious where they are on that since it's been a while. And I recall they have a proprietary speaker amp which they used at shows but had not finalized yet... curious about that one too.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #896 of 911
Good questions. I've been meaning to ping them and see about all this stuff.

Last we spoke, Mark said the team was working on a streaming transport. I don't know much about it but am curious where they are on that since it's been a while. And I recall they have a proprietary speaker amp which they used at shows but had not finalized yet... curious about that one too.

Not sure why they think they need a streamer or amp, they don't even market their current products. Sometimes I wonder if Resonessence is just a playground to keep Mark et all from getting bored. :)

What changed in the filters to warrant all the name changes is of most interest to me. To take a wild guess, after playing with filters with the 9018 based invicta DACs they implemented those filters in the new 9028 and 9038 pro chips and that's what resonessence is using now. The Oppo 205 has the exact filter choices.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/06/measurements-oppo-udp-205-part-1-output.html

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #897 of 911
I doubt that Resonessence is just treading water, especially in the fast-paced world of dac innovation. I do feel that the products they have developed to date are still quite competitive and among the best available, especially within their given price range. I've had a Mirus Pro for just over 2 years now, and have never felt the need to upgrade to a more expensive dac (you know who they are). Some innovations that are relatively unique to the Invicta/Mirus line, in particular the SD card reader, are a godsend since it means I don't need another stand-alone device (computer, music player, etc) to feed a digital signal to the dac. As for marketing, much of this now is done through the internet via user-oriented sites such as this one and others, online reviews, etc. I think the company has been adequately visible in this regard, especially given their relatively limited product line. There are many other excellent dacs from other manufacturers that have likewise had limited exposure. If I had to nitpick at all, my biggest beef would be not posting (on their website) software/firmware updates for the Invicta/Mirus Pro dacs. Although in their defense, they have always be extremely responsive to email requests.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #898 of 911
No I definitely don't think they are falling behind in terms of innovation or general product quality. But you have to admit their marketing approach is a bit lacking.

I'll be the first to praise a company for quietly letting the gear do the talking rather than shouting from the rooftops how spectacular everything is, or (ahem) buying a platform on a popular headphone enthusiast site and marketing that way... but even I realize that Resonessence could use far more frequent website updates, if nothing else. They had been attending hi-fi shows pretty regularly, and have already demonstrated both the amp and the streaming box I mentioned (the amp on more than one occasion). So if that stuff is coming, how about a bit of info about it?

There are a lot of smart folks behind the scenes at RL, I'd love to get a weekly or even monthly tech blog from them.... anything would be better than the silence we currently get. I have had more than one person ask me if I happened to know whether or not the company is about to fold.... which is not the case as far as I know, but if people are getting that impression - something isn't right.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #899 of 911
Well I only made the comment because I know dealers that have been waiting for contact from Resonessence about carrying their product and get silence. I'm pretty sure the company is run out Mark's house (maybe Sabre's labs as well), though you might not call it a house if you've seen google earth pictures of it. Wouza! My pet project comment was for this reason.

FWIW, I've heard from a third party that Mark has indicated that the Mirus Pro now just uses the default Sabre filters as I presumed. So Archimago's link above is a great resource to get analysis and performance of each of the filters.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #900 of 911
I pinged Mark for an update and got the following information. First, the filters are indeed the ESS filters as used in other devices with ES9028/ES9038 chips.

I didn't get into the prospect of ESS being influenced by the proprietary Reseonessence filters used in the original Invicta... but that's a definite possibility. I think it's probably difficult to separate which IP began at ESS and moved to RLabs, versus the other way around, considering designer Dustin Forman was responsible for so much on both sides. If his work on the Invicta filters informed his designs for the next gen of Sabre chips, there really wouldn't be an easy way to know for sure (I try to refrain from bugging him whenever possible). Also there are other folks involved in both firms so who knows for sure.

In other news, Resonessence Labs has a new streaming playback device launching shortly. Sounds like it is 99.9% complete, just waiting for extremely minor aesthetic details to be completed. The name is Fluvius, from the Latin term "Flow", sometimes spelled by Mark as Fluvious (because Canada, eh?). All I know so far is that it will sell for under $2k and it will be Roon certified. Hope to have more details and possibly some impressions soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back