Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
May 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #6,901 of 7,140
1) the scroll wheel simply sucks. The wheel skin is also pretty much useless. I bought „sticky dots“ on amazon. Now the wheel is perfect.
2) the battery indicator sucks. It just does not work . You‘ll learn to handle it. My QP1R knows when he may get empty nowadays.
3) The UI sucks too. Feels like from the 80s.

So should you buy one? Yes! Because the sound is amazing

May 23, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #6,902 of 7,140
Ok, thanks for the responses and advice, folks. I will def keep my eye out for a nice used one.

I just recently picked up a like-new FiiO X5ii as an upgrade for my trusty 1st gen FiiO X3, and I gota say I was underwhelmed. It's just not that much better. So I'm still kinda itchin' for an affordable upgrade that will make me sit up and say, "Hey now!" Thus my interest in the QP1R. (I've also started looking into a few of the older iBasso units.)

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #6,903 of 7,140
I'll vouch for what the others have said, the scroll wheel and UI leaves a lot to be desired, and I've been looking for a replacement but I can't settle on anything that would not cost a hell of a lot more than my QP1R.

My previous DAP was the X5ii! But I never had them at the same time to compare. My QP1R got sent back to China for the battery repair and has worked perfectly ever since.

The scroll wheel is a PITA, but I have put a furniture protector "blob " on it (see picture) which helps. I have fat fingers and often hit the four buttons surrounding the scroll wheel which is annoying. The writing on the screen is very small for my aging eyes.

However, it sounds great, can play loads of files and once I've hit play there's really not any need for me to look at the screen...

You should be able to pick up the QP1R quite cheaply (300-350 GB£) second hand. You could always ask Darren if he has one for sale !

The qp2r is still expensive. With the cost of larger SD cards reducing having two slots isn't an absolute necessity for me now (I have 400 & 200 cards in).

Attachments

• A077AB6D-7DC4-42AC-83B6-FB309C667417.jpeg
    A077AB6D-7DC4-42AC-83B6-FB309C667417.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #6,904 of 7,140
1) the scroll wheel simply sucks. The wheel skin is also pretty much useless. I bought „sticky dots“ on amazon. Now the wheel is perfect.
2) the battery indicator sucks. It just does not work . You‘ll learn to handle it. My QP1R knows when he may get empty nowadays.
3) The UI sucks too. Feels like from the 80s.

So should you buy one? Yes! Because the sound is amazing
Ok, thanks for the responses and advice, folks. I will def keep my eye out for a nice used one.

I just recently picked up a like-new FiiO X5ii as an upgrade for my trusty 1st gen FiiO X3, and I gota say I was underwhelmed. It's just not that much better. So I'm still kinda itchin' for an affordable upgrade that will make me sit up and say, "Hey now!" Thus my interest in the QP1R. (I've also started looking into a few of the older iBasso units.)
Firmware from the '80s? More like early IPod 2000s. Which makes it perfect. No stupid touch screens. I think you'll find the QP1R is far above the X5 in SQ. Hope you find one.

May 26, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #6,906 of 7,140
Older units individually owned, were sent to China for battery indicator repair/modification, for those whose sound appreciation was dwarfed by their anal obsession with how a battery indicator looks from time to time. The scroll wheel was apparently improved upon during later runs of the unit. If the battery runs out, I plug it in. I still think it's the best sound I can afford.
I've no reason to update it. The QP2R and M have only one card slot; and that cooks it for me.

That comment is completely uncalled for.

May 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #6,907 of 7,140
3A5E7248-09CD-4E78-8281-D83472072F59.jpeg
Evaluating the JH13v2 Pro, JH16v2 Pro, JH Lola and JH Roxanne. Waiting on a Legend X and Phantom from Empire Ears. Right now, it is a shootout between Lola and Roxanne.

May 26, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #6,909 of 7,140
How do you stack the Lola against the Angie?

Lola has a richer and denser sound than Angie and sweet mids. Angie is more analytical and detailed. I think Lola has a more realistic sound and is musical. Lola is darker than Angie. Angie is much brighter and Lola has a better low end. Both of them are very good with vocals. I compared them all with the bass pods at 100% to simulate after market cables that would not have the bass pods.

I can see how Jerry likes the Lola the best of his creations. If you like more analytical, the Lola is not a good fit as it is more musical. Angie is definitely thinner in comparison with bass pods at their max.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #6,910 of 7,140

I found the same, my x3ii easily sounds as good as x5ii. Actually may prefer old x3ii. Ibasso dx120 sounds better than both. Dx90 does also

May 26, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #6,911 of 7,140
Lola has a richer and denser sound than Angie and sweet mids. Angie is more analytical and detailed. I think Lola has a more realistic sound and is musical. Lola is darker than Angie. Angie is much brighter and Lola has a better low end. Both of them are very good with vocals. I compared them all with the bass pods at 100% to simulate after market cables that would not have the bass pods.

I can see how Jerry likes the Lola the best of his creations. If you like more analytical, the Lola is not a good fit as it is more musical. Angie is definitely thinner in comparison with bass pods at their max.
Thanks. Guess I'll stick to my Angies for now, although I'd like to hear the Lola sometime.

May 26, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #6,912 of 7,140
Thanks. Guess I'll stick to my Angies for now, although I'd like to hear the Lola sometime.

Contact Alex Stewart at alex@jhaudio.com and he will set you up with a loaner Lola. He set me up with all four of the IEMs I am testing. You pay shipping both ways. Mine was $37 total. They will put a pending charge on the card for the value of the IEM and remove it when they are returned.

May 26, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #6,913 of 7,140
Evaluating the JH13v2 Pro, JH16v2 Pro, JH Lola and JH Roxanne. Waiting on a Legend X and Phantom from Empire Ears. Right now, it is a shootout between Lola and Roxanne.

Lola wins as I like it the best.

May 26, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #6,915 of 7,140
I should indeed take a listen to Lola. In truth, the Angies can have painful highs on some overcooked tracks.

Lola is musical and it does a good job of taming highs that are too high due to it being warmer than Angie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back