1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by moedawg140, Aug 25, 2015.
First

Back
450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459
461 462 463 464
Next

Last
  1. Amber Rain
    Thanks.

This is all getting a bit beyond my understanding!! I thought Matt from SVC said on one of these threads that DSD could only be output natively via USB?

When I hook up the QP1R / CMA600i via optical, the blue light indicating DSD does not come on on the CMA600i.

2. mwhals
    Thinking of getting one of the following to use with my QP1R:

UE18
    64Audio A12t

Any experience with these and how they sound compared to my JH Audio Angie II?

SalvorHardin likes this.
  3. SalvorHardin
    Me too, as far as some of the 64 offerings.

4. mwhals
    Yep. I got the 64 Audio offerings down to the N8, A12t and Tia Trio.

5. Amber Rain
    --- dbl post!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. Amber Rain
    @Quadfather

How does the NW-WM1A compare to the QP1R? I've been toying with the idea of trading my QP1R in and the NW WM1A would be on my shortlist?

Quadfather likes this.
  7. Quadfather
    The QP1R is cleaner and more neutral sounding with a slightly more narrow soundstage. It is best with classical and jazz. For metal and hard rock the Sony puts the music in this beautiful velvet glove that never becomes fatiguing. I use Shure SRH1540 headphones out of balanced with my Sony, and it's really good. The user interface on the Sony is head-and-shoulders above and much easier to use. Just make sure all your album artwork is Baseline so it shows up. The Sony does go a little lower in bass frequencies. The QP1R has a little more sparkle up top. I will keep both players; it's a mood thing. I also have the Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 and that thing is an over-the-top beast with power and resolution; again with jazz, classical, and Rush.

8. Amber Rain
    @Quadfather

Thanks for your (quick) response and information.

The UI / screen (size) on the QP1R is the only thing that is making me want to change, although having a balanced option would be good.

I also have the SRH1540, where did you get the balanced cable from if you don't mind me asking? I presume this is a 4.4mm cable (my Fiio 2.5mm iem cable fits in my 1540)? My 1540 isn't getting much playing time at the moment, as I use my SE846 on the go / at work and my Audeze EL8 at home with my desk top amp.

I mainly listen to electronic music based music; Depeche Mode, Nine inch Nails, Coil, Kraftwerk, Front Line Assembly etc.

Have you tried using the Sony USB to output DSD files to a DAC/Amp?

Thanks

Edit. I would have to sell my QP1R in order to fund the Sony and also probably some headphones (1540) and / or other gear. I wouldn't be able to keep the two :frowning2:

Quadfather likes this.
  9. Quadfather
    I got my 4.4 mm balanced cable from surf cables.

10. Amber Rain
    Thanks, I'll check them out!

Quadfather likes this.
  11. Darren Cotter
  12. bzippy
    Assuming this is the main thread for QP1R users:

I am bargain hunting higher end DAPs that are discontinued, out of date, etc and this one is high on my list. My only concerns are the repeated complaints on two issues:
    (1) scroll wheel difficulties
    (2) unreliable/inaccurate battery life indicator

I can't tell from perusing this huge thread whether these problems have been resolved with new firmware, or newer production runs, or whatever. Or have people just accepted these flaws in this otherwise great unit?

SalvorHardin and Quadfather like this.
  13. Pizza Funghi
    1. the QP1R scroll wheel is not the Ferrari of scroll wheels but it works fine with the wheel skins that came with the QP1R. At least for me.
    2. I think the latest firmware update (or even the second to last Idk) solved the battery life indicator issue. I never noticed any flaws.

I bought my QP1R ~4 months ago and it came with the latest firmware (1.0.9). It took me a short while to get used to the scroll wheel and it certainly isn't the most responsive device in the whole universe but that's not a deal breaker.
    The QP1R SQ compensates for minor shortcomings.

14. Quadfather
    Very nice sound. The only reason I've considered getting rid of mine is because I have a Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 and a Sony NW - WM1A. I use the Sony for audio books in my work truck with a Bluetooth speaker.

Pizza Funghi likes this.
  15. SalvorHardin
    Older units individually owned, were sent to China for battery indicator repair/modification, for those whose sound appreciation was dwarfed by their problems with the battery indicator. The scroll wheel was apparently improved upon during later runs of the unit. If the battery runs out, I plug it in. I still think it's the best sound I can afford.
    I've no reason to update it. The QP2R and M have only one card slot; and that cooks it for me.
    Have taken to heart that a part of my above post was indeed rude and uncalled for. Just because I can't see the battery indicator, doesn't mean that it isn't a legitimate issue for some. The wheel never bothered me, as the four buttons were excellent, especially with vibrative feedback.
    I still think it's one of the best units I'll own: the OS is simple, if primitive, and the sound makes me not miss the Hugo2's 2go not being available yet.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    capnjack and Quadfather like this.
First

Back
450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459
461 462 463 464
Next

Last