Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Apr 1, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,411 of 7,140
  I'm afraid to pick up any DSD downloads, out of fear that the rest of my music won't satisfy me afterward.
confused.gif

Feel the same way.  I haven't heard my beloved favourite strat player sound as good as when I had dDire Straits on vinyl.  I don't argue about it anymore, but I like DSD.
Oh, and thanks @bart147.   I was able to convert with the ISO2DSD converter although I needed sighted help with the app.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,413 of 7,140

Feel the same way.  I haven't heard my beloved favourite strat player sound as good as when I had dDire Straits on vinyl.  I don't argue about it anymore, but I like DSD.
Oh, and thanks @bart147.   I was able to convert with the ISO2DSD converter although I needed sighted help with the app.

Beloved Strat player? Do you mean Robin Trower? Ha ha, he keeps releasing new albums BTW.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,414 of 7,140

Beloved Strat player? Do you mean Robin Trower? Ha ha, he keeps releasing new albums BTW.

Wellll.... I like his sound, but, of course, I refer to 'His worship'  M.K.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,416 of 7,140
Umm. That is a pretty strong statement! How did you determine that there is 'audible distortion' from the QP1R's line out? I believe you heard it, but with what components? How did you test this?

Well, when I had my continental v2 amplifier around and paired it with the qp1r through line out, the vocals sounded weird and somewhat blurry and muffled, which I had never experienced before. A quick change to headphone out but using high gain and considerable volume with the same volume of music from the iem solved this problem.

I also have a portable dock/speaker thing. Tried line out from the qp1r on it too. Now the distortion was even more apparent. The vocals were very unclear and I could barely decipher what the person was rapping. Changing to headphone out but with high gain and high volume and the problem was solved.

The ak100 gold I had also had a distortion problem on line out mode. When using line out mode to my continental v2, the music would often distort. I had thought that it was a problem with my gear. However, based on some advice ( forgot whether it was from a friend or the net ) I used high gain and high volume and this problem was gone. Was told that the fact was being over driven or something and that on line out mode the distortion levels increase by a lot.

Therefore through the similarities in my experiences I have deduced that there is audible distortion through the line out while none with the headphone out.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,417 of 7,140
Thanks, weird huh? I tried driving my main stereo with the line out today and switching from Lo Med Hi but it made no difference, maybe because I have my line out set to bypass the volume control... Sound was fine, high res downloads sound great through my big speaker rig

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,418 of 7,140

Umm. That is a pretty strong statement! How did you determine that there is 'audible distortion' from the QP1R's line out? I believe you heard it, but with what components? How did you test this?

Well, when I had my continental v2 amplifier around and paired it with the qp1r through line out, the vocals sounded weird and somewhat blurry and muffled, which I had never experienced before. A quick change to headphone out but using high gain and considerable volume with the same volume of music from the iem solved this problem.

I also have a portable dock/speaker thing. Tried line out from the qp1r on it too. Now the distortion was even more apparent. The vocals were very unclear and I could barely decipher what the person was rapping. Changing to headphone out but with high gain and high volume and the problem was solved.

The ak100 gold I had also had a distortion problem on line out mode. When using line out mode to my continental v2, the music would often distort. I had thought that it was a problem with my gear. However, based on some advice ( forgot whether it was from a friend or the net ) I used high gain and high volume and this problem was gone. Was told that the fact was being over driven or something and that on line out mode the distortion levels increase by a lot.

Therefore through the similarities in my experiences I have deduced that there is audible distortion through the line out while none with the headphone out.

The line-out volume can be lowered somewhere in the settings.  Have you tried that yet?  It may help.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,420 of 7,140

The line-out volume can be lowered somewhere in the settings.  Have you tried that yet?  It may help.

Will try soon with the dock/speaker thing but not with the amp as I have sold it already. But for reference, the times when I heard the distortion were all on max line out mode

I'll be curious to hear your results.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,421 of 7,140
Hi all,

The latest update to the main review (first post in this thread) is as follows:

(Q5) Inside the Questyle QP1R box and Firmware Updates: 1.0.5 Firmware Update notes

(Q7) Cases and Wheel Cover/Skin: Questyle Cases - Black, Brown/Tan, Grey

(Q7) Cases and Wheel Cover/Skin: Wheel Cover/Skin

(Q10) Power, THD+N and SQ comparisons: Updated with added sources

(Q15) Decibel Measurements, Disclaimer and Headphone Comparisons: addition of Background Noise/Hissing sub-section

Source DAC/Amp comparisons: 
(S12) Chord Hugo
(S13) Chord Mojo

Headphones:
(H36) V-MODA Crossfade M-80
(H37) Sony MDR Z7
(H38) Audeze LCD-4

Earphones/IEMs:
(I15) STAX SR-003MK2 with SRM-002
(I16) Shure KSE1500
(I17) Ultimate Ears UE 900s

Third-party cables:
(C3) Kimber Kable

DAP comparisons:
(S14) Pioneer XDP-100R
(S15) Echobox Explorer
(S16) Cayin i5
(S17) FiiO X7
(S18) Onkyo DP-X1

Enjoy your day/night!

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,423 of 7,140
@moedawg140 , you are a reviewing fiend in this DAP and DAP/headphone pairing arena - thank you.

I finally get to pick up my QP1R today z9it's been sitting in my shop since Wednesday).  I'll report back in a couple of days or so.  Biggest "IF" for me right now, is IF I can live without streaming Tidal.  Funny, a year or so ago I knew nothing of Tidal, and now I really don't want to part with it....

Looking forward to the extended (as in I bought it, hope I like it) test drive!

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,424 of 7,140
  I have a stupid question,

Doing research for a new set of earphones .... one has a passive noise reduction of -25dB  and the other is -18dB .... I just need to confirm if I'm correct in that  the -18dB will let less outside noise in  and is slightly better in this case

[pardon me if this is redundant- im just catching up on this thread and saw this post from a week ago.]

if you're looking for isolation you might want to look at etymotic. i have the er4pt with custom tips.  that gives roughly -45dB.  

over at theheadphonelist dot com, ljokerl has a review of some lesser ety models with the custom tips and says they're so isolating he thinks it's dangerous to use them except in a known and safe environment!  the ety 4's are very well regarded btw- over at the same site they are the highest rated for sq except for customs and earphones costing $1300.  the ety 4's are $247 [just checked amazon} and you get a coupon that allows you to buy custom tips for $80 [as of when i did it, plus the cost of getting molds if you're not close to one of the places that make those tips. i went to acs custom in nyc.  total $80 for custom silicone tips.]  i now use these instead of noise cancelling headphones when i travel.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,425 of 7,140
About to give my QP1R a listen for the first time! So, to clarify, there is no way to upgrade firmware without a blank microSD card?

Also, I know people have been complaining about the scroll wheel in general, but aside from it just being finicky, have complaints been that the wheel and button feel kind of cheap? Like, my button is just very clicky in terms of sound, but not in a solid way. Like sometimes clicking it gives off a sort of metallic springy sound sort of. Just a cheapish feeling portion of the device overall. Are these all normal complaints? If it's normal, I'll deal with it for good sound. But I want to make sure it's not effective. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back