Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jan 26, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #857 of 7,140

My apologies from earlier posts - I spoke to Bruce at NAMM this past weekend and he confirmed that only 3 colors will be available now since one of the 4 original colors (darker brown) wasn't well received compared to the lighter brown (which is the closest match to the QP1R's golden color).  I saw the new leather cases in person, and they are very nice, and not difficult to take out of the case once you know the most optimal ways to take out the QP1R from its case.

Please bestow knowledge on case removal. I still struggle after a month with my Dignis. As said before, mine might be off specs (maybe made on a Friday with visions of the weekend on the craftsman mind).

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #858 of 7,140

Please bestow knowledge on case removal. I still struggle after a month with my Dignis. As said before, mine might be off specs (maybe made on a Friday with visions of the weekend on the craftsman mind).

I've found the best way is to hold it in both hands and push the DAP up with your thumbs. then when you have it a ways out, pull on the volume knob protector. DO NOT PULL on the volume knob alone.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #859 of 7,140

I put a string through the volume knob protector and then grip the case with one hand and pull up with the string. Works like a charm.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #860 of 7,140
  I put a string through the volume knob protector and then grip the case with one hand and pull up with the string. Works like a charm.

As stated in my earlier post, I use the left knob protector and slowly, with great effort, pull with my fingers. I just don't want to put any pressure on the screen or wheel. The string idea is a good suggestion. Almost total coverage, has its price. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #861 of 7,140
NAMM this past weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center was awesome, and it was great to listen to a plethora of new audio equipment. I'll be adding brief thoughts/impressions in the near future with regards to my personal opinions and comparisons of the Hugo, Mojo and the QP1R in the main review of this thread, after I get a few other reviews finished.

Looking forward to reading your reviews my friend. Please take care.

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #862 of 7,140
Thought I would share - my wife sent this to me and said someone should review this:

Pretty expensive, but still not the highest out there.

The Sennheiser HE 1060 Orpheus II ($55,000) will have its first California unveiling this Sunday from 12-5pm at The Source A/V, in Torrance. There will also be a raffle for a QP1 and Westone W40!

Hope to see everyone that can make it, there!

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #863 of 7,140
Firstly, all respect to moedawg140: your review of this DAP is incredible - well-written, complete and a resource I am sure I will return to often if I purchase it. The thread is lengthy at this point so 3 questions with apologies if the answers are covered and I missed 'em:

1) Can the DAP also function as a USB DAC for PC?
2) Will this support digital output to an external DAC?
3) Is QP1R sonically superior to the less pricey QP1 or is the main difference internal storage amount?

Again, thanks for an outstanding review thread.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #864 of 7,140

My apologies from earlier posts - I spoke to Bruce at NAMM this past weekend and he confirmed that only 3 colors will be available now since one of the 4 original colors (darker brown) wasn't well received compared to the lighter brown (which is the closest match to the QP1R's golden color).  I saw the new leather cases in person, and they are very nice, and not difficult to take out of the case once you know the most optimal ways to take out the QP1R from its case.

I hope those leather cases become available soon. I want to protect my QP1R from harm.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #866 of 7,140
Firstly, all respect to moedawg140: your review of this DAP is incredible - well-written, complete and a resource I am sure I will return to often if I purchase it. The thread is lengthy at this point so 3 questions with apologies if the answers are covered and I missed 'em:

1) Can the DAP also function as a USB DAC for PC?
2) Will this support digital output to an external DAC?
3) Is QP1R sonically superior to the less pricey QP1 or is the main difference internal storage amount?

Again, thanks for an outstanding review thread.

No worries at all, appreciate the kind words.

To answer your questions (most questions have been answered and can be found by using the "search thread" feature):

1. No, however I connect my QP1R to other DAC/Amps easily via Line Out, Headphone Out and Optical.

2. Yes it will. Check out the m9XX pairing and my thoughts of the combination in the review (first post of this thread). Soon I'll be sharing my thoughts with regards to the iFi Audio Micro iCAN SE paired with the QP1R as well as the Hugo and Mojo as well.

3. Yes, my brief thoughts of the two are in the review (first post of this thread).

I hope those leather cases become available soon. I want to protect my QP1R from harm.

I know of a shipment coming or has come, so I'll try to share what I know when I talk to Bruce tomorrow at The Source A/V event. :beerchug:

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #867 of 7,140
I am very impressed on how well the QP1R sounds. It blows away my last portable rig. My ETHER C's sound just great.driven by the QP1R.

You've got a great dac and amp selection. How do you feel about QP1R & Ether C synergy in comparing to your desktop setup?
I'm thinking of upgrading from dx90 that I usually use with portable HP amp and Questyle catch my eye...
Thanks.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #868 of 7,140
You've got a great dac and amp selection. How do you feel about QP1R & Ether C synergy in comparing to your desktop setup?
I'm thinking of upgrading from dx90 that I usually use with portable HP amp and Questyle catch my eye...
Thanks.

The synergy between the ETHER C and the Questyle QP1R is very good, especially when compared to my portable system. When compared to my desktop system, the desktop's synergy is far better. The Yggdrasil and my Ragnarock or Liquid Glass makes my ETHER C's sing in synergistic escatcy. But I rarely compare a desktop system, with a portable combo. I really think my new portable system is great for taking walks, cruises in the car or going to the grocery store. Plus the QP1R is small and fits easily into my pocket, and that is nice. Before I got the QP1R, I would stash my Tablet and amp into my leather travel bag and sometimes carrying that setup would be cumbersome at times.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #869 of 7,140
No worries at all, appreciate the kind words.

To answer your questions (most questions have been answered and can be found by using the "search thread" feature):

1. No, however I connect my QP1R to other DAC/Amps easily via Line Out, Headphone Out and Optical.

2. Yes it will. Check out the m9XX pairing and my thoughts of the combination in the review (first post of this thread). Soon I'll be sharing my thoughts with regards to the iFi Audio Micro iCAN SE paired with the QP1R as well as the Hugo and Mojo as well.

3. Yes, my brief thoughts of the two are in the review (first post of this thread).

Thanks, moedawg140!

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #870 of 7,140

Some of the audio treats I paired with my QP1R @ the headroom exhibition this weekend in London. Too bad it only lasted for 7 hours....
It was also very impressive visiting an actual recording studio , it was a great setting for a great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back