Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jun 3, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,861 of 7,140
I like the DAC Questyle is using this time, AK4490.
This DAC is also used in Esoteric K01X SACD/DAC model which cost about $20K.
I thought I saw the Bluetooth icon in the QP2R model. Is this true @moedawg140 ?
I thought I saw you at AK booth in some video hearing the Kann model ( AK4490 Dac chip also ). If so, can you compare the two?
I wish vendor would design the QP2R's shape differently this time around.
The QP2R does not feature Bluetooth.

Got a link for the video? The last time a person posted a video link who they thought was me, it was another handsome dark-skinned gentleman - haha!

The KANN doesn't compare to the QP1R very well because the KANN is one of the leanest sounding DAPs I've heard in some time. I like the color of the KANN. If the KANN doesn't compare well to the QP1R when I heard both back to back, then the QP2R, in my opinion, isn't in the same discussion and is in a different league entirely than the KANN -- no hype. Truth.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4,862 of 7,140

Got a link for the video? The last time a person posted a video link who they thought was me, it was another handsome dark-skinned gentleman - haha!

The KANN doesn't compare to the QP1R very well because the KANN is one of the leanest sounding DAPs I've heard in some time. I like the color of the KANN. If the KANN doesn't compare well to the QP1R when I heard both back to back, then the QP2R, in my opinion, isn't in the same discussion and is in a different league entirely than the KANN -- no hype. Truth.

When is the QP2R coming out in USA?
TX.

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #4,863 of 7,140
Radiohead Creep and Stone Temple Pilots Creep are both a good creepy on the QP1R.
Robert Cray, Nothing But a Woman is also sublime on the QP1R. I plan to go through the playlist tomorrow and Order up all of the stuff I really love so I can get it on my machine.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,864 of 7,140
When is the QP2R coming out in USA?
TX.
This weekend at the LA Audio Show was the unveiling for North America, and is also unveiled in Shenzhen, China this weekend as well. The QP2R is in production will be available at dealers very soon.

Jun 4, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #4,865 of 7,140
Radiohead Creep and Stone Temple Pilots Creep are both a good creepy on the QP1R.
Robert Cray, Nothing But a Woman is also sublime on the QP1R. I plan to go through the playlist tomorrow and Order up all of the stuff I really love so I can get it on my machine.
All are on the playlist!

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,866 of 7,140
I would take QP1R over the QP2R after comparing them :)
Layering and separation of QP1R is slightly better than the QP2R. Bass is tighter too. QP2R top end is too smooth for a reference sound.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4,867 of 7,140
I would take QP1R over the QP2R after comparing them :)
Layering and separation of QP1R is slightly better than the QP2R. Bass is tighter too. QP2R top end is too smooth for a reference sound.
Did you listen to both the QP1R and QP2R only SE, or SE and Balanced? Did you check if High Bias mode was selected on the QP2R? Ear/headphones used in comparison?

I agree the bass of the QP1R SE is tighter/more pinpoint/more focused than the QP2R SE, but also the overall sound as well is tighter/more pinpoint/more focused in comparison. Layering and separation, I feel is more expansive and engaging on the QP2R, especially when Balanced is implemented. These differences are why I adore them both, because they do sound so different.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #4,868 of 7,140
Did you listen to both the QP1R and QP2R only SE, or SE and Balanced? Ear/headphones used in comparison?

I agree the bass of the QP1R SE is tighter/more pinpoint/more focused than the QP2R SE, but also the overall sound as well is tighter/more pinpoint/more focused in comparison. This is why I adore them both, because they do sound so different.
both se. i use the heir10 and um macbeth to test. it is really obvious that qp1r clarity is better than qp2r. qp2r is a complement to qp1r rather than an upgrade. qp1r should be still questyle flagship solely based on sound.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,869 of 7,140
both se. i use the heir10 and um macbeth to test. it is really obvious that qp1r clarity is better than qp2r. qp2r imo is a side grade to qp1r rather than an upgrade.
Did you check to see if High Bias mode was turned on?

Also, using IEMs to test/compare, without using a measuring dummy on-site or other dB measuring ways, there is absolutely no way to test/compare as correctly as possible, since you did not volume match (Please correct me if I am wrong). This may (highly like will) skew findings.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #4,870 of 7,140
Did you check to see if High Bias mode was turned on?

Also, using IEMs to test/compare, without using a measuring dummy on-site or other dB measuring ways, there is absolutely no way to test as correctly as possible, since you did not volume match (Please correct me if I am wrong).
tested with default settings. the difference in sound is really obvious :k701smile:

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #4,871 of 7,140
tested with default settings. the difference in sound is really obvious :k701smile:
Next time check for High Bias and volume match - meaning your findings may change if you test as correctly as possible - especially since I don't agree with the clarity being better than the QP2R - and especially since you didn't check settings or test, and didn't use Balanced at all for the test/comparison.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #4,872 of 7,140
High bias? Now I am curious too.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,873 of 7,140
Next time check for High Bias and volume match - meaning your findings may change if you test as correctly as possible - especially since I don't agree with the clarity being better than the QP2R - and especially since you didn't check settings or test, and didn't use Balanced at all for the test/comparison.

Everyone needs to remember that moedawg140 is one of the most thorough people on head-fi.org. He is one of the site's sages.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #4,874 of 7,140
High bias? Now I am curious too.
Yep. If you're going to say the QP1R has better clarity to the QP2R, how did you exactly come to that conclusion. I'm gonna call it out if I see statements on this thread like "QP1R sounds better than the QP2R!" Okay cool, but how did you exactly reach that conclusion? Especially if you didn't use Balanced at all or volume match!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,875 of 7,140
Yep. If you're going to say the QP1R has better clarity to the QP2R, how did you exactly come to that conclusion. I'm gonna call it out if I see statements on this thread like "QP1R sounds better than the QP2R!" Okay cool, but how did you exactly reach that conclusion? Especially if you didn't use Balanced at all or volume match!
Uh, what is high-bias? I'd have to concur that for best results, comparison btw the 1 and 2 should be done at their best configurations, i.e. balanced with the 2R. Even though I'm staying with my QP1R, I'm glad for Questyle's success in feeling they can move on.
Just as an O.T., I think an interesting shoot-out might be btw the Questyle Gold stack against the Chord DAVE. Similarly priced. Do you think you might be talked into a couple of impressions sometime at some show, @Moedawg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back